acidic foods?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

acidic foods?

Postby beachgirl » 11 Dec 2011, 10:10

hi all,
i am confused as to what are acided foods>?
i took a supplement for a uti with cranberry powder, did this do me in?
are apples harmful? lemons? grapefruit? chocolate? or is it totally individual?
how long does it take to go through the system?
etc?
how does one really know?
thanks
beachgirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 30

Re: acidic foods?

Postby dwarfs8 » 12 Dec 2011, 03:52

acidic foods include citrus food like oranges, lemons, tomatoes, chilli spicy sour stuffs
Apples are not harmful, but according to BRAT diet that one eats during diarrhea, it supposed to solidify the stools. So i skipped eating apples, but i drink apple juice instead as pectin in it is good softener
choc to me is fine, but don't eat too much
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby beachgirl » 12 Dec 2011, 11:08

thanks!
oh and.... what is the BRAT diet?
beachgirl
Salt Bather

Postby beachgirl » 12 Dec 2011, 11:12

ps... i heard that for some reason lemons turn alkaline in the system (as does apple cider vinegar - not interested in that as much as lemons, but thought i'd mention it). anyway... i can live without oranges but i do love lemons since i don't like acidic anything anyway! hopefully lemons are less harmful.
beachgirl
Salt Bather

Postby dwarfs8 » 12 Dec 2011, 19:14

beachgirl wrote:thanks!

Banana, Rice, Apple, Toast. This diet is meant for those who has diarrhea. Google on it and u'll find more info. :)
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Postby dwarfs8 » 12 Dec 2011, 19:17

beachgirl wrote:ps... i heard that for some reason lemons turn alkaline in the system (as does apple cider vinegar - not interested in that as much as lemons, but thought i'd mention it). anyway... i can live without oranges but i do love lemons since i don't like acidic anything anyway! hopefully lemons are less harmful.

u can try lemons if u like, but i do think that lemons are much more acidic than oranges. But of cos, to each it's own. :)
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Postby grannymaria » 10 Jan 2012, 12:52

dwarfs8 wrote:
beachgirl wrote:thanks!

Banana, Rice, Apple, Toast. This diet is meant for those who has diarrhea. Google on it and u'll find more info. :)
Image Thanks Dwarfs! I'm a gramma and wasn't too sure either Image
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Grateful Ed » 15 Jan 2012, 20:13

Hey there- I received a list of acidic/alkaline foods from my doctor which says the foods which most deplete the body's alkaline reserve include: oysters, lentils, sausage, sardines, oatmeal (very surprising to me!), corned beef, lobster, peanuts, soda crackers and spaghetti. While the foods that best replace alkaline reserves include: raw spinach, beet greens, celery, dried figs, carrots, sauerkraut, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, beets and Brussel sprouts.
I'd be curious to know about lemons too since I put Meyer lemon juice on everything. The list doesn't mention it but everyone I've talked to says coffee is a big no-no as is alcohol. I haven't even had a beer in about 8 months & surprisingly don't miss it.
If you've got a juicer, throw in a bunch of carrots, beets, apples and a bit of ginger- tasty & nutrient rich!
Hope this helps.
Grateful Ed
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby workingonit » 16 Jan 2012, 10:49

If you google "lemons are alkaline" there is a good short article on it in wikispaces.
Bascally meats , dairy and junk food will make your body more acidic, but fruits and veg will make it more alkaline. Alkaline is healthier, but no need to go overboard as meat and dairy have other important nutrients.
My CRS says to stay away from citrus fruits, grapes, caffeine, chocolate, icecream, milk, yogurt and alcohol. Not sure why, I was kinda in shock at the diagnosis at the time but I plan to ask him when I see him on Wednesday. I suspect it has to do with keeping your BMs regular and the right consistency.
He didn't mention anything about acidic though, as I still eat a fair amount of tomato sauce, and salad dressing.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby grannymaria » 17 Jan 2012, 11:38

So acidic foods make the fissure worse or just them "coming out" making it irritated?
I love oranges and they help me keep soft :oops:
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13