AF destroying my life

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here



AF destroying my life

Postby Mercury » 16 May 2013, 05:10

Hi all, new here as you can see.
I'm 30 years old and my AF story started about 2 months ago in the beginning of March. I never had any troubles before that (I had bleeding with a bit of pain during BMs maybe twice before, but they usually went away very quickly and didn't return for months or years...) but on that god awful day I had a terribly hard BM that was very painful and the pain also endured later that day. The weird thing was that I wasn't constipated in my own terms, it was never unusual for me to go to the bathroom once every 3 days but I guess it was just a problem waiting to happen.
After that day the pain never went away, BMs are painful (some more than others) but really the real pain usually comes about 2 hours after the BM. It gets so bad that I find my self drenched in cold sweat, biting on whatever I can and just barely keeping my self from screaming my heart out. It really is the worst pain I ever felt and it sometimes lasts for many long hours (sometimes it's gone after 1 hour of pain, sometimes it's 10 hours).
I didn't take my time with this as I really can't handle the pain and I went to see a proctologist, I told him I had diagnosed my self with a fissure and started Nifedipine 0.2% and a fiber rich diet, he did a "short colonoscopy" on me and confirmed my fissure. I tried Nifedipine for a month and nothing changed, the pain is still ruining my life and the fear of the next BM is still mostly what's on my mind. I went back to him and he perscribed rectogesic, I've been on it for about a week and a half now and as far as I can tell, it's not really helping. I can handle the side effects just fine, the head aches aren't so bad but I'm just not sure it's helping at all.
I should also state that taking fiber supplements makes me have huge BMs, they are soft but they are far too big, I found that simply eating a fiber cereal in the morning is enough to keep me very regular with soft movements every day.
My biggest concern right now is that since I started Rectogesic after every BM I get a big lump right on the outside of my anus and that sounds like a hemorrhoid to me, I'm not sure what it is, maybe it's just a side effect of the rectogesic? In anyways I'm so desperate I'm already considering surgery... Do you guys think I should? Maybe I should give Rectogesic a bit more time? Or maybe there's something else I don't know of that might help?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mercury
Fibre Addict
 
Posts: 22
Topics: 2
Joined: 15 May 2013, 16:00
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Gender: Male

Re: AF destroying my life

Postby owmybum » 16 May 2013, 12:27

Hi mercury,
Welcome to the board..... And I'm glad you found us!
There is a wealth of information on this board.... Take some time to read through some posts ... You will learn loads.
The lump you are describing could be a sentinel pile. It forms at the base of the fissure as the body's way of protecting its self from further injury. It can cause a lot of irritation when things flare up... But it usually settles with time.
I would give the recto a bit more time.. It's not been long enough really to build up and get results.
Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids.. They will help to keep your bms soft. If you don't like fibre supplements, how about something like movicol/mirilax. I have found taking a sachet of this a day has really helped keep things nice and soft. It's so reliable for me that I find I don't tend to worry half as much about the next bm...which is a god send as I was constantly anxious about that when I was at my worst.
A blob of Vaseline on your anus seems to help lubricate things, and protect the fissure a bit.
Warm baths can be very helpful to relax all the spasm ing muscles.
I really hope you see an improvement soon... But in the mean time... We are all here.
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
User avatar
owmybum
Moderator
 
Posts: 2826
Topics: 42
Joined: 16 Sep 2012, 16:00
Location: UK
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 154 times
Gender: Female
Mood: UGH !

Re: AF destroying my life

Postby Miss K » 16 May 2013, 15:50

Hi Mercury, your story sounds pretty much identical to mine. Mine also began early march and was giving me excruciating pain that would vary in length from day to day. I'm about 4 weeks into rectogesic and lactulose and probably would say I didn't notice any real improvement until probably a week ago (3 weeks in), when there was no bleeding and hasn't been since.
The pain has started to decrease somewhat also, it's still pretty sore for about an hour a day (delayed pain like yrself, usually between 10-11am) but it has improved on being in pain for most of the day as before. So if I were to give you advice I'd say persist if you can manage with the pain side for a few more weeks with the rectogesic. And maybe try to find a routine of toileting, food/eating, applying creams that is consistent every day as think that really helps yr body to heal.
Good luck! Image
Miss K
Fibre Addict
 
Posts: 17
Topics: 1
Joined: 13 Apr 2013, 16:00
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Gender: None specified

Re: AF destroying my life

Postby Mercury » 17 May 2013, 07:35

owmybum wrote:Hi mercury,
Welcome to the board..... And I'm glad you found us!
There is a wealth of information on this board.... Take some time to read through some posts ... You will learn loads.
The lump you are describing could be a sentinel pile. It forms at the base of the fissure as the body's way of protecting its self from further injury. It can cause a lot of irritation when things flare up... But it usually settles with time.
I would give the recto a bit more time.. It's not been long enough really to build up and get results.
Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids.. They will help to keep your bms soft. If you don't like fibre supplements, how about something like movicol/mirilax. I have found taking a sachet of this a day has really helped keep things nice and soft. It's so reliable for me that I find I don't tend to worry half as much about the next bm...which is a god send as I was constantly anxious about that when I was at my worst.
A blob of Vaseline on your anus seems to help lubricate things, and protect the fissure a bit.
Warm baths can be very helpful to relax all the spasm ing muscles.
I really hope you see an improvement soon... But in the mean time... We are all here.
OMB x

First off thanks for the reply, I was feeling so alone in this thing as no one around me ever had it and it's not easy explaining you feel like you're being continuously stabbed in the anus so just knowing others are out there helps a lot. (as bad as that may sounds :()
Thanks for the sentinel pile bit, I really had no idea what it was and was preying I'm not developing a hemorrhoid on top of everything. It does disappear when the pain after the BM is over so I'm guessing you are right and that is what it is. I guess that's one more thing to worry about now :(
As for fibres, I really don't think I need anything more than the cereal, I have a BM pretty much every day as soon as I wake up, it's very soft and comes out very easily, I never have to push even a little bit. I believe that the cereal combined with my current very vegetable heavy diet and plenty of fluids is enough for me, when I tried a supplement my BMs were really big and, well, there was A LOT coming out, it caused really really bad pain sessions and I just stopped it, switched to the cereal and I think this is the best combination for me.
I never knew about Vaseline before I came to this forum (I been doing pretty much nothing but nurse the pain and read the forum the last 2 days) and I'll give it a try. Would you happen to know if I need to get it in there or is it enough to just rub it around the area?
As for warm baths, that's where my down side is, I have no bath, only a shower in my apartment :(
Miss K wrote:Hi Mercury, your story sounds pretty much identical to mine. Mine also began early march and was giving me excruciating pain that would vary in length from day to day. I'm about 4 weeks into rectogesic and lactulose and probably would say I didn't notice any real improvement until probably a week ago (3 weeks in), when there was no bleeding and hasn't been since.
The pain has started to decrease somewhat also, it's still pretty sore for about an hour a day (delayed pain like yrself, usually between 10-11am) but it has improved on being in pain for most of the day as before. So if I were to give you advice I'd say persist if you can manage with the pain side for a few more weeks with the rectogesic. And maybe try to find a routine of toileting, food/eating, applying creams that is consistent every day as think that really helps yr body to heal.
Good luck! Image

Hi Miss k
Sorry to hear you're going through this as well, but really happy you seem to have the pain under control, my pain sessions are still longer than yours but my biggest problem is that my pain is very much dependent on what I do. I find that if I'm home and can move freely I can usually keep the pain within reasonable levels but if I'm out and doing anything, almost doesn't matter what, it immediately paralyses me with gut wrenching pain, so more often than not I'm not going to work or do anything but sit at home, my BMs are usually in the morning so I'm in home arrest till after noon usually... It's really hindering my life and I'm sure they're not happy with me at work as well :(
As for Rectogesic, I'll keep using it for now in hope that it does help at some point, my only problem is that it really hurts to get it in there as it hurts the fissure, so often I give up and don't really get enough in there as I think I should.
As for the routine, I'll take that into account cause I'm not even remotely regular going about my day so I'll definitely try it.
On the bright side today's BM came and went with nearly no pain at all, it hurt while I was on the toilet but right now (3 hours later) I'm pain free and really happy about that! I know some days are better than others and I shouldn't read too much into it but it's still very nice to have some relief!
Here's hoping for a better future!
Mercury
Fibre Addict
 
Posts: 22
Topics: 2
Joined: 15 May 2013, 16:00
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Gender: Male

Re: AF destroying my life

Postby Savaici » 17 May 2013, 11:36

Welcome to the forum, and my only addition is to suggest getting a plastic Sitz bath, which fits over the loo. I could not do without mine. They sell them at your local chemist, I am sure, and you can look on the net to see what they look like.
I just fill mine with water from a jug, sit for about five minutes, then change the water, flushing it down the loo. This I do once a day (unless I have wind, in which case I use it to release said wind). They come with a plastic bag thingy which I don't use.
I never ever wipe, only dab with warm water and dry off.
Hope this is a good suggestion for you! Image
User avatar
Savaici
Administrator
 
Posts: 3822
Topics: 221
Joined: 03 Feb 2011, 17:00
Has thanked: 170 times
Been thanked: 256 times
Gender: Female

Re: AF destroying my life

Postby Mercury » 17 May 2013, 14:39

Savaici wrote:Welcome to the forum, and my only addition is to suggest getting a plastic Sitz bath, which fits over the loo. I could not do without mine. They sell them at your local chemist, I am sure, and you can look on the net to see what they look like.
I just fill mine with water from a jug, sit for about five minutes, then change the water, flushing it down the loo. This I do once a day (unless I have wind, in which case I use it to release said wind). They come with a plastic bag thingy which I don't use.
I never ever wipe, only dab with warm water and dry off.
Hope this is a good suggestion for you! Image

Hmm that's pretty cool, I'll look around for it. I just usually wipe very lightly and immediately hop in the shower and wash the area with my shower head (I keep the stream quite soft), I figured that's still better than actually wiping with TP...
Mercury
Fibre Addict
 
Posts: 22
Topics: 2
Joined: 15 May 2013, 16:00
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Gender: Male

Re: AF destroying my life

Postby marg6043 » 17 May 2013, 15:36

Mercury, hi, there, something else that will help with minimizing irritation is to use baby wipes rather than TP, that was one of the first things my CRS told me, to never use TP again.
User avatar
marg6043
King Fissure
 
Posts: 739
Topics: 8
Joined: 02 Dec 2012, 17:00
Location: Ga
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Gender: None specified

Re: AF destroying my life

Postby Mercury » 19 May 2013, 01:05

marg6043 wrote:Mercury, hi, there, something else that will help with minimizing irritation is to use baby wipes rather than TP, that was one of the first things my CRS told me, to never use TP again.

Following this post I stopped using TP all together, I just wash it off, I don't know if this is the reason, or the Rectogesic or just that my BMs have been very easy to pass but these last 3 days have been the best I had in a long time. It still hurts during BMs but only for the first few seconds and the pain after has decreased from what I'd call a full blown 9/10 to a much more manageable 3-4/10.
I'm able to function a bit more as well which is a god send as I was a ghost these past months and I'm preying this continues to improve. Whatever happens I'm not changing anything I'm doing for a couple of days and hopefully this will go on improving. I'm not allowing my self hope this is really ending though cause 1 bad BM and I know I'm back in the gutter.
Mercury
Fibre Addict
 
Posts: 22
Topics: 2
Joined: 15 May 2013, 16:00
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Gender: Male

Re: AF destroying my life

Postby owmybum » 19 May 2013, 05:51

That's great news mercury.... I hope it continues to improve for you!!
Image
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
User avatar
owmybum
Moderator
 
Posts: 2826
Topics: 42
Joined: 16 Sep 2012, 16:00
Location: UK
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 154 times
Gender: Female
Mood: UGH !

Re: AF destroying my life

Postby marg6043 » 19 May 2013, 08:36

Mercury, I am glad that you are feeling better, yes things can get better with the proper care and a routine that work for you.
Hopefuly because your fissure is new you will heal on its own.
No matter how good is getting do not let your guard down because set backs will happen.
I wish you the best.
User avatar
marg6043
King Fissure
 
Posts: 739
Topics: 8
Joined: 02 Dec 2012, 17:00
Location: Ga
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Gender: None specified


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest