Aloe Vera

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Aloe Vera

Postby Guest » 15 Mar 2007, 16:28

Hey Everyone,
I just wanted to see what you guys know about aloe vera. As you know I have to heal without surgery and it is slow going. I bought some capsules that I have started to take (25 mg a day) but wondered what you thought about taking it orally and maybe putting it on the fissure. I googled it and got some basic info and it mentioned it can have a laxative effect which I don't need but maybe for some of you who are having issues with constipation this might be worth investigating too.
What do you all think?
Thanks,
Lecia

Re: Aloe Vera

Postby happyass » 15 Mar 2007, 19:38

well if it ain't the really aloe vera - in it's saliva/juice form, i would not take it in a capsule/dry powder form.
aloe vera is amazing for many things.
and i wouldn't hesitate to try it out on a fissure to see if it would help. as long as it is straight from the plant itself.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Cheryl » 16 Mar 2007, 06:43

happyass wrote:well if it ain't the really aloe vera - in it's saliva/juice form, i would not take it in a capsule/dry powder form.
aloe vera is amazing for many things.
and i wouldn't hesitate to try it out on a fissure to see if it would help. as long as it is straight from the plant itself.

I agree, i only use aloe straight from the plant itself Image
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby SunshineHope » 26 Apr 2007, 14:56

My doctor suggested aloe vera as well but I don't remember if it was for the constipation or to aid in healing... I don't drink it much, maybe I should.
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Guest » 26 Apr 2007, 15:25

Hey Sunshine Hope,
I am taking 25 mg of aloe vera. I haven't noticed a real laxative effect but I figure it helps provide a little protection coming out the other end.
I also use it on the skin tag that is left behind from the fissure since that area is still irritated.
Lecia

Postby SunshineHope » 26 Apr 2007, 18:35

Hey again Lecia,
The type I have is actual Aloe Vera Juice, but it says that it's 99.99% pure Aloe Vera. I wasn't sure if it would help to actually put this on the fissure area, especially because I'm scared to put ANYTHING on (I can barely sit - almost anything involving the bum hurts!).
Maybe it will help to drink it. In the past, because it is so bitter, I just mixed it with juice. I didn't notice any immediate help but maybe it takes time.
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 26 Apr 2007, 18:43

Yeah, it would take some time to notice any improvement but I think you should try it. Aloe Vera is very good for the digestive tract. I have never tried it in juice form! How much do you have to drink to get a dose of it?
I was afraid to put it on my bottom because I probably have the world's most sensitive tush but it really did improve the amount of pain and irritation I have. You could always try a little and be ready with a warm washcloth to wipe it off quickly if it does bother you!

Postby SunshineHope » 27 Apr 2007, 13:51

Hi Lecia,
They suggested a 30ml-60ml dose. I've been reading about it and I think I will start using it everyday. I was also reading about pecans and their healing properties, and read one or two success stories on that link someone posted about how pecans healed their fissure(s)! How cool. I love pecans and I don't care anymore if they make me fat!
Good suggestion for the washcloth and aloe vera. I'll try using it at a time when my tush isn't sore.
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 27 Apr 2007, 14:16

Hi Sunshine,
I am a little worried about you eating nuts. They don't digest down very far and they can tear your little fissure open. They kind of scrape coming out. I don't know anything about the research. Maybe there is some property found in pecans that can be good for healing but I would be pretty reluctant to eat nuts and seeds right now.
Just Be careful!!!

Postby SunshineHope » 27 Apr 2007, 14:32

Hey Lecia, wow I had no idea.. That's interesting because I had a BM this morning that was hard initially and a bit softer after (ouch regardless!) - and I think it may be because I was eating peanuts yesterday. I thought the nuts would give me fibre, but I still had a hard BM regardless of the fruit and fibre I had yesterday. Wow, maybe I need to stop the peanuts!
Here's the link for the pecan story: http://boardsailor.com/jack/af/patient_41.htm
Now I'm confused! :suspect:
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist