Anal Dilation: Has anyone used Hegar dilators for AD?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Anal Dilation: Has anyone used Hegar dilators for AD?

Postby embarrasedguy1971 » 04 Mar 2017, 11:37

Hello everybody!
First things first - This is my first post on this site. Your fellow AF sufferer, I am a 45 year old male from the US.

Thank you to all of you here for sharing your experiences and helping out the rest of us deal with our own suffering. A big shout out and Thank You to Savaici for the AMAZING job she has done in documenting her experiences through her journey with AF!

Background: Got hit by two AFs last December, and my life has turned upside down since. Even though my fissures appeared to have healed (no bleeding since last three weeks, thank the Lord), I am still currently on 0.2% GTN because my spasms continue along with an awful pain and soreness. The area inside feels very raw right after a BM. There is a sizeable bump inside over one of the healed fissures that is easily felt with the finger (scar tissue?), which has resulted in the narrowing of the anal canal somewhat and thin stools. I am scheduled to see a CRS within a week from now.

Now, on to my main question: Encouraged by the success of many of you with self dilation, I am considering giving it a shot. I've gone through Sav's main thread on the topic as well as the recommended dilators. However, in my own research online, I came across these:

8 Pcs Set Hegar Uterine Dilator With A Carrying Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IAFBA10/re ... Uyb2Y8AXKK

I thought I'd ask if anyone here has used them for anal dilation, and if so, what was your experience? Would you recommend them for AD? I am considering them mainly because of the range of diameters I can get without having to spend a fortune on the pediatric medical dilators, as well as due to the fact that they are so easily available without a prescription.

Thank you all so much!

Best,
- EG
embarrasedguy1971
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Anal Dilation: Has anyone used Hegar dilators for AD?

Postby Savaici » 06 Mar 2017, 22:56

Your bum is worth the money!

The pediatric ones are much the best - but just my opinion.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby mamafizz » 26 May 2017, 15:59

hello Sav, just came upon these posts and just wanted to ask, how long after your fissure healed did your muscles go back to normal. I had my fissure about 5 months and then had Botox which the Surgeon said healed it. That was 3.5 months ago. I have had great improvement, but still having the dull ache higher up near the tailbone, sore and uncomfortable. Hard to say if it's that golf ball feeling, but def something muscular, and the nerves seem to have to be able to continue to simmer down much more. Deep breathing helps and I am told time will allow this to fizzle out. I also have 2 internal hems which may have been a factor as well. Pretty sure they are healing as well. Such a weird thing to get lol...
mamafizz
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby NoPainLikeSpASSmPain » 01 Aug 2017, 17:10

embarrasedguy, which one did you end up buying? Any recommendations?

I just called SSP to buy Savaici's recommended pediatric dilators, but Julie said they only sell them with a Dr's prescription.
NoPainLikeSpASSmPain
Fibre Addict

Postby embarrasedguy1971 » 20 Aug 2017, 22:28

Hello NoPain,
Sorry for the late response.

I wanted to buy the pediatric ones as suggested by Sav, but unfortunately, I could not get a prescription for them. I ended up buying Dilatan brand off of eBay, but by the time I received them, it was too late and I had developed an abscess and a fistula.

Three days ago, I went under the knife for fistulotomy, fissurectomy, and LIS. The dilator box sits unopened in my cupboard as a painful reminder of the last eight months of my life. Hope I never have to use them ever.

-eG
embarrasedguy1971
Fibre Addict

Postby NoPainLikeSpASSmPain » 23 Aug 2017, 12:52

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear about all the agony you've had to go through. Keep us updated on your progress. I wish you complete healing so you can leave all this behind and finally move on with your life.

For the benefit of any searchers/lurkers out there, I did buy the Hegar Uterine Dilators from the Amazon link above. They've been working well for me so far.
NoPainLikeSpASSmPain
Fibre Addict

Postby embarrasedguy1971 » 23 Aug 2017, 22:40

Glad to know that the uterine dilators are working well for you!

I wish you a speedy and full healing as well!
embarrasedguy1971
Fibre Addict