Anal fissure I think...terrible burning...help

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Anal fissure I think...terrible burning...help

Postby momo248 » 28 Mar 2013, 16:33

[EDIT: I just posed a new post which was 2 years after this first post. You can skip down about 9 posts to read the new one]

Hi everyone. Just joined today. I am a 24yrs old male. I have some questions. I have had hemorrhoids in the past which have always gone away in about a week or so. I thought that pain was bad...but now I would give up this pain for the hemorrhoid pain any day.
The only thing that recently changed was my diet. I've always enjoyed working out and eating healthy. Recently I've kind of let myself go and just got back into it. So my diet is very good. Along with that, I always take some work out supplements like protein shakes, pre-workout energy supplements, amino acids (BCAA) etc. Im saying all this because this is the only that changed recently. But I have always taken these on and off so it shouldn't be related to this. Also...are BCAA (branch chain amino acids) actually acidic?
I normally go the bathroom 2-4 times a day. I know its probably more than usual but i've always been like this.
It all started maybe 4 days ago. While im going to the bathroom, the pain is unbearable....burns like crazy. I've read multiple threads and was so surprised about how people say "i've had this for 6months" or "i've had it for years". The burning is so bad that I can't picture anyone having this pain for more than a week or two. Unless mine is worse than others I can't imagine having this for that long. It ruins the whole day. I actually can't even finish my bowel movement because the pain is that bad.
I am using preparation h gel and wipes after each bowel movement to help. I am also increasing my water and fiber intake.
I hear fissures usually heal on their own. If they do, how long does it take? Because this is terrible. I am very very active and now all I want to do is lay in bed and sleep since I know when I wake up the pain is gonna be so bad. Plus it doesn't help that I go to the bathroom 2-4 times a day. Now more since the pain will stop me from finishing sometimes.
I thought it was getting better and today is the worse, so I had to join this forum and post this. The past 3-4 days i've been doing my usual work out and a 2 mile run after. Today though, I don't think that is possible. Does working out/running aggravate the anal fissure more? Just sucks since this is interfering with my daily life.
I rather not get surgery, as I hear it could take weeks to recover from, but the pain/burning is so bad. How long does it usually take for them to heal on their own?
Thanks everyone for the help!
Last edited by momo248 on 28 Jun 2015, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
momo248
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Anal fissure I think...terrible burning...help

Postby marg6043 » 28 Mar 2013, 17:29

momo248, hi there, sorry to hear you are in so much pain, fissures are very painful, we all been there and had suffered in different degrees of pain.
Some people can take pain better than others, my fissure is 9 months old and I can tell you exactly that the pain is not something to ever forget no matter how well you feel after is healed.
It took me 4 month to get better with medication and doctor care, so is important that you get a CRS and get proper treatment.
Hem creams, oil, gels and anything for hems will not help the fissure, actually it will interrupt the necessary blood flow that the fissure needs to heal, that is why you need the prescribed cream that will increase the blood flow not reduce it like hem creams do to reduce inflamation.
Use baby wipes without any perfumes or alcohol.
Also make sure you lubricate before a bm with Vaseline, some people use coconut oil, olive oil or any other organic oil, ( I tried it all), this help reduce the friction and irritation, then after a BM take a sitz bath with warm water to relax and reduce the spams.
If your fissure is new or fresh and is the first time you experience one you have a better chance to heal on its own, but you need to see a doctor.
Surgery should only be the last thing to do if nothing else works or you find that your quality of life is hindered by the pain and suffering.
Even when my fissure is healing the burning is still there on and off but no as bad as it was when it was fresh.
I wish you the best, you will find a lot of information here from other people's experiences on how to cope with a fissure.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby momo248 » 28 Mar 2013, 18:02

marg6043, Thank you for the response.
This is the first time I've had this and I hope it heals on its own. I think im just thinking more negative about the situation. Especially since I go to the bathroom 3-4 times a day. Plus now, from the pain, at times I can't finish and have to stop. Pretty bad. I feel it might not heal since I go so frequent.
So Preparation H is not good for this then?? The cream I have is the gel version which has witch hazel and Phenylephrine HCI. Do you know if those 2 ingredients aggravate the fissure?
I also have just the wipes which is only witch hazel, hoping this is fine at least.
I purchased the cream when I first felt the pain as I thought it was just the hemorrhoid coming back. But after the unbearable burning I knew it couldn't be that.
Thank you for your help.
momo248
Fibre Addict

Postby guiness » 28 Mar 2013, 18:24

Stop all the exersize and let your body heal the rear. Go to a colon rectal surgeon asap. Take miralax and stop with the protein. I increased my protein intake two weeks ago and here i am, Out sick from work. Meat makes your stools hard. As for the pain, u just gotta deal with it. Take warm baths. Use diaper rash cream or coconut oil for irritation. I am in much less pain then i was in the beginning of the week. You will heal. Sounds like an acute tear, a more treatable kind.
guiness
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby marg6043 » 28 Mar 2013, 19:33

momo248, if your fissure is not better in another week is better to see the doctor because with a proper cream you will be able to fix it without further damage.
Like guinesssay yours is acute if is fresh, just make sure that you lubricate the area that is hurting well for the BMs to avoid more irritation.
My fissure is the result of chronic diarrhea so I know how it feels when you have to go so many times in a day.
Even when my problem is better I still have multiple BMs a day, but I make sure that I minimize irritation.
Also you can try baby desitin to protect the area, desitin helps with the healing process.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby FLhopeful » 28 Mar 2013, 21:27

marg6043 was very supportive and helpful when I wrote here... listen to her! Following her and others' advice helped me out a lot. I no longer am in a pit of misery... not "fixed" yet - but not spending every minute wanting to scream.
I had a (very) bad experience with the first CRS I saw. Do some research and find one with good reviews. It would have saved me a lot of grief if I had done that first. I'm now going to see a second one a week from tomorrow... and instead of being horrified and mortified I'm actually looking forward to it so I can get more relief.
Since reading here I have started taking Miralax and it is night and day... I also cut way down on the fiber (the first CRS had told me to take lots... and it turned out it was a type I reacted badly to)
I do make sure I eat plenty of vegetables, but I eat meat and fish with no problems. Veggies, meat, and fish are about all I eat.
For me, the following helped:
-hot baths - not burning hot - but hot enough to make it feel better... I spent hours in the tub when it was horrid
-Miralax - I think this is the main reason I've had so much improvement - DON'T PUSH! I thought that was impossible.... it's not
-drinking lots of water
-making a conscious effort to de-stress... this has been the hardest for me
- taking magnesium... you have to research it cause some will cause diarrhea... and you do not want that... but it can act as a muscle relaxant and THAT is wonderful. I started small and am working my way up
I hope you feel better soon
FLhopeful
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Dont cut short your BM's !!!!

Postby Guest » 30 Mar 2013, 12:28

Please don't cut short your bm because of the pain!!!!
The last thing you want to do is to leave any behind which will just cause the remainder bm to possibly come out harder the next time around.
Push all of it out when you can, as been said, shove some vaseline up there to ease the transit.....it helps.
HTH GL
Last edited by Guest on 31 Mar 2013, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: force

Postby momo248 » 08 Apr 2013, 19:40

Hi everybody. Thanks for all the information.
A couple day after my last post, things started getting better. The first week was living hell. I stopped using preparation h as I was told since it is not good for the fissure and stuck with just wipes.
It's been about a week now that it has been better. Of course today, I get a hemorrhoid :(
This hemorrhoid is external and pretty painful, but not as bad as the fissure. Just sucks that this keeps happening. I have been consuming lots of water and fiber (mix of food and fiber powder). Now I would like to use preparation h to soothe and help the hemorrhoid go away, im just afraid since it has only been about a week that the fissure has healed. I know preparation h is not good for the fissure so now I really want to use preparation h to help the hemorrhoid but a little paranoid that it could bring the fissure back if somehow its not healed all the way.
Any suggestions as far as using preparation h now? Like I said, I have not noticed pain for a bout a week since the fissure healed. Im thinking just using regular wipes still...and then just the preparation h gel (not those wipes).
Thanks again.
momo248
Fibre Addict

Postby momof7 » 09 Apr 2013, 05:41

Coconut oil works great for both. It is soothing to the hemmie and does not restrict blood flow.
I'd recommend skipping wipes altogether. Get a handheld shower if you don't have one, and sit on the edge of the tub and have a mini-shower after a BM (warm but not too hot spray). Pat dry and apply coconut oil. (Get it at the health food section of the grocery.) At cooler room temps it is solid, and can be made into a suppository as well.
If you continue to use the prep-h, I would avoid the ones with hydrocortisone or epinephrine. Those interfere with fissure healing. HC thins the skin tissue and epinephrine restricts blood flow.
momof7
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby momo248 » 28 Jun 2015, 23:30

Hey everyone. Long time I haven't been on here. I figured instead of making a new thread I will just post on my old one here.

I can't believe that it's been 2 years since I first posted this. Since then, the pain has come and gone on a consistent basis. Although recently it has been coming back more frequently.

I think it's time I finally go see a doctor because now it's getting worse and I honestly think it's more than just a fissure. Can be a mix of a fissure, hemorrhoids (only when I have a bowel movement I can feel a prolapse of some sort). It's not much, but it happens every time I have a bowel movement. I don't know if it's hemorrhoids or some sort of rectal prolapse that happens.

The past few days have been hell. Today I was in bed all day, it's effecting my life (both work and personal). I'm not eating much since I already go the bathroom so often and the pain is intense.

I guess I just wanted to post some of my symptoms here in hopes that someone who reads it may have some input until I go see a doctor.

I usually go the bathroom 2-4 times a day normally. While having symptoms of an anal fissure it can be 6+ times. That is because I can NEVER finish. The pain is unbearable. My stool is soft and it has nothing to do with it being too hard. I drink a ton of water and fiber. Regardless how soft it is, my body just won't let it out. I know i'm not done, but after a few minutes on the toilet, the pain just stops my body from going any more. Then 30min later, i'll be back on the toilet. Sometimes because i need to pass gas and have another bowel movement but again just a few minutes and the burning pain is just too intense. Then hours on hours after I'm in lot's of pain as well. Plus the feeling of having to go, but even when I push nothing comes out. It's not normal. This also makes me think I might have some sort of IBS or another problem since I am usually gassy and even when the anal fissure pain isn't as intense, I still go 2-4 times a day.

There is bright blood at times like striped on my stool or just going in the toilet. This is usually towards the end of my bowel movement when it just feels like I can't go anymore. The problem is it's not really the end of my bowel movement. I can feel like I need to go more but my body won't allow it. Hence the 6+ a day.

On top of all this, while having a bowel movement I can feel a budge all around my anus. That's when I came across reading about rectal prolapse although i'm no doctor so I don't know if that's the issue, or just hemorrhoids that come out when having a bowel movement. When i'm done and get up it disappears, goes back in.

So recently as you can see it's just a huge mix of pain i'm in. Of course I know I should go see a doctor, but as with most people, it's a scary though thinking about going and possibly surgery etc.

I just ordered coconut oil 1 day shipping form Amazon since I hear that helps a lot and I still have not tried it.

Just looking to get some input if anyone is familiar with my symptoms.

Thanks in advance everyone.
momo248
Fibre Addict