Anal Fissure

Had Standard Anal Dilation Friday

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Anal Fissure

Postby Fissuretraveler » 18 Feb 2018, 11:56

Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking around these boards for quite sometime. I had a hemorrhoidectomy in April of 2017 which was the beginning of my demise. A month after having my hemorrhoidectomy I was told I had a fissure. I am convinced that slowed the healing down from the hemorrhoidectomy. My CRS was more than happy to go right back in there and do a LIS- I told him no thanks. I tried all sorts of things to manage the fissure didn’t really seem to matter. I was super careful with diet, that didn’t always matter either. I sort a second and third opinion. Second opinion wanted to to do a LIS and my third opinion was all for giving it time to heal. He told me to be patient and it might not heal 100% but I might get it to 90%. Okay I told myself let’s try. What a rollercoaster ride of emotions. I would be great for awhile and then things would get bad. I would follow the same routine everyday, stool softeners, milk of magnesia and for whatever reason I would get bound up. I think it was stress I was always worried about my next poop. I really think I was getting close to an emotional breakdown. So after lurking on here I read about Standard Anal Dilation. I kept researching and gathering as much information as possible. Tried to find someone in my area that did it but no one did. So after making an appointment with the CRS in Long Island we made the road trip. We met with the doctor, he spent a long time with me, examined me and answered more questions about the procedure. He was able to put me in to his surgical rotation for the next day. It’s done! I’m sore and tender but not anymore so than some of my really bad days. I have no problem passing gas, I’m just wanting on my first BM. Maybe tomorrow, they emptied me out pretty good I had to do a total of three enemas, now that was a good time! I pray that this procedure is the beginning of getting the rest of my life back!
Fissuretraveler
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: Anal Fissure

Postby Mypoorbutt » 18 Feb 2018, 13:17

Hi FT,
Yes my CRS told me not to have my hems removed as I have had a fissure so removing hems would pretty much be guaranteed to cause a new fissure.
Having a fissure has got to me the most emotionally traumatic experience of my life and I have had IBS and crohns for two decades neither of which caused me anywhere near the emotional struggle let alone physical pain of a fissure.
It will be interesting to hear your healing journey as we haven’t had a member recently that has had this procedure.
Good luck and a speedy recovery
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Fissuretraveler » 18 Feb 2018, 14:01

Thank you. I will keep you all posted as I begin this healing journey. I have turned to this site for the last 9 months for support I feel that it’s only fair to post my progress. If it wasn’t for this site I would of never of heard of standard anal dilation. Until tomorrow.
Fissuretraveler
Salt Bather

Postby Fissuretraveler » 19 Feb 2018, 15:24

So today is day 3 after the SAD procedure and the first day I have had a bowel movement. I have actually had two. Both were rather large in diameter, nothing I would be able to pass comfortably prior to this procedure. Both were relatively pain and spasm free. I still had blood on the stool and toilet paper. Spoke with the doctor and he said that was normal and I should see that diminish over the next few weeks. Not going to lie I still get freaked when seeing blood. Something else I want to mention prior to having this procedure I often had a Charlie horse like pain in my left buttocks, that is now gone. I walked/strolled about half mile yesterday and felt good. Hoping to do something similar today. Until tomorrow.

FT
Fissuretraveler
Salt Bather

Postby patience_and_healing » 18 Mar 2018, 19:54

How are you doing now FT? Hope you are well!
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby Fissuretraveler » 19 Mar 2018, 20:14

Thanks for checking in, overall I am better. No blood since the 5th day after the procedure and mostly normal bowel movements, sometimes with a twinge. Pain in the left buttocks is back, not sure if it is muscle, sciatica, both or neither. Who knows! Have gained 5 pounds, lost 20, during this ordeal. Eating more but still cautious. Still taking benefiber, stool softeners, and 5 ml of MOM before bed. Would love to start taking that in the morning so I wouldn’t have to go at work but don’t want to mess with what’s working. Absolutely still have the fear of God when I go to the bathroom. Wonder if that will ever go away? Doctor says I’m right on track hope to travel back to see him in the next few weeks. Thanks again for checking in. How are you doing?
Fissuretraveler
Salt Bather

Postby patience_and_healing » 20 Mar 2018, 11:40

Sounds like you are improving steadily and the procedure worked for you. It's hard to get over the fear of going to the bathroom but I think with time as you continue to have reduced pain that fear will reduce and hopefully resolve completely.

I'm doing ok, thanks. Trying to solve my pain issues through PT.
patience_and_healing

Postby Fissuretraveler » 20 Mar 2018, 16:24

If you don’t mind me asking what kind of pain do you have? Is PT working?
Fissuretraveler
Salt Bather

Postby patience_and_healing » 21 Mar 2018, 11:26

I have pain after BMs, and sometimes during, but doctors say the fissure has healed, and I don't have the classic spasm. So I'm going to a pelvic floor PT and learning to release the muscle tension through massage and dilation. I've had setbacks on and off but so far so good. I also use muscle relaxant suppositories to help with BMs.
patience_and_healing