Anal Fissure

Introduction

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Anal Fissure

Postby Siz2xB » 15 May 2014, 18:20

Hello,
I just wanted to say hi to everyone. I am 58 year old man and I have had chronic constipation all of my life, even as an infant so my Mom says. In the past 15 years I developed the fissures and it really makes life difficult as I'm sure all of you know. It seems to be hard to get people, even doctors, to take it too seriously but I have missed work or left work many days due to the pain that is so intense it prevents me from doing work or concentrating. I have tried many things, I'm using an essential oils treatment I got from the health food store at this time, but it really doesn't seem like anything really helps.
With my history and genetics (my father's side of the family has many GI problems) there doesn't seem to be much they can do. I saw a surgeon and he told me surgery would not help unless I got the constipation under control. As I know many of you have, I have spent countless hours researching what to eat, drink and how much and what kind of fiber
is best but as I said, I have had chronic constipation all of my life and nothing has stopped that. At times it's better for a few days then it's like boom, can't go, straining til I feel like I'm gonna bust a vein, and wham, out comes the brick and pain and blood and it's split open again.
A lot of well meaning people try to have answers for me but what works for most people just does not work for me. I have applied for disability for other issues but I am definitely going to add this on to medical conditions because it really does interfere greatly with my ability to work.
So, it's good to be here and I look forward to knowing I am not alone with this crippling malady,
Siz
Siz2xB

Topics: 1

Re: Anal Fissure

Postby Apes » 15 May 2014, 18:45

Read through the forum and find what others are doing. I find that it is very individual thing, what works for one doesn't work for everyone. I have found that I actually needed to lower my fiber intake. What type of diet are you following and what supplements do you take?
There is a lot of great info here but in this day and age you are going to need be your own doctor and find what works best.
As far as surgery is concerned it sounds like it would still be a problem if you can't get the constipation under control. Constipation has not been a problem for me but others here have good info.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby Siz2xB » 16 May 2014, 10:30

Hi Apes, I drink lots of water but not too much. Take miralax, magnesium powder about 700 - 1000mg daily, lots of fruits and veggies, soluble fiber, fish oil, little meat, oatmeal, a couple cups of coffee, and copious amounts of toffee candy frozen yogurt. I try to have a bm at least once a day but do not always have control over that unless I use a bulb enema.
That's about all I can think of. If I skip one thing, and I never really know what that one thing is, it's all over. Then a day will go by and I know I am in trouble. Usually I will use the enema just to get things going. The alternative is to take a laxative and I have already taken enough of those to last several lifetimes. My mother told me that I was constipated when I was an infant and she gave me suppositories which probably not the best thing but it's over now. Then I can remember having lots of constipation as a kid.
I can relate to the person who wrote that they have a long and twisted colon. Mine is too and I think stuff just builds up in there and other stuff goes around it for a while until it finally has to come out and there is the brick, pain, blood cycle again. I have actually felt envy for people with a colostomy bag. Isn't that insane.
Siz2xB

Topics: 1

Postby Apes » 16 May 2014, 13:08

I'm sorry you are having this problem and don't have any great suggestions. I do think you need to get with a good GI and find out for sure what's going on inside to cause the constipation. I wish you the best, stay on top of the doctors, you need to be strong advocate for yourself.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17