Anal fissure

Unusual cause . . .

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Anal fissure

Postby Santiago » 19 Nov 2014, 12:40

I'm fairly certain I now know why I occasionally get an anal fissure, which tends to last about a week.

There are times -- many times, actually, and for prolonged periods -- when I slouch way down in my office chair. I work from home, so I obviously have far more freedom and privacy than if I were in a regular "public" office.

I'm now almost positive that this prolonged, strained angle of sitting puts undue and unusual pressure on my lower body; i.e., my rectal area. And I have a feel that, over time, that constitutes a form of trauma.

As we know, anal fissures are most often caused by trauma to the anal canal. The usual suspects are hard stools; childbirth; and perhaps intentional trauma to that area via anal sex or the insertion of other objects.

But in my case, again, I'm quite certain now that this prolonged slouching -- where sometimes my tailbone is virtually resting on the front edge of the chair -- is the cause of my fissure.

I doubt anyone else has had a similar experience, but I'd love to hear about it if you have. Thanks.

P.
Santiago

Topics: 1

Re: Anal fissure

Postby Scientist2516 » 19 Nov 2014, 12:47

I know that slouching was painful, when my fissure was bad.
I sometimes really wanted to slouch! But it always made things worse.
My fissure is mostly healed, but I do get some pain/discomfort sometimes. Reading your post makes me wonder if I should give up slouching. Interesting thought - thanks!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Re: Anal fissure

Postby Santiago » 20 Nov 2014, 12:08

I'm actually relieved and pleased that you wrote and essentially validated my suspicion: that my extreme slouching may have caused by fissure. That position seems clearly to be a source of "trauma," if you will, to the anal canal. Not unlike, well, other things that are unnatural or ill-advised. So now I DO NOT SLOUCH. PERIOD. Because, as you well know, the pain of an anal fissure is unspeakable. I also use a wonderful lidocaine ointment prescribed by a colo-rectal doc. It's very effective, not only in tamping down pain, but more importantly in promoting healing. Thanks.
Santiago

Topics: 1