Anal Fissure

My healing journey

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

Anal Fissure

Postby gbarrenh » 27 Apr 2015, 21:03

First and foremost, as a sign of gratitude for this website, I wanted to share my own healing journey because it gave me hope and comfort to read people's success stories here in dealing with this physical disease that also affects one's emotional and psychological well-being. So my first message is never lose hope.

My journey has been an interesting one. I was traveling overseas when I came back to the US (home for me) and was stranded in NYC due to weather conditions. I was already having problems with urinating and the tip of my penis hurt real bad. I had convinced myself I had a urinary tract infection but while at the hotel, the worst pain of my life hit me and I had to be rushed to the local ER, where I spent 9 hours in between opiate shots to find out via a computerized tomography that I had a kidney stone. This was my first encounter with one and I can say I hope it is my last because I have never felt pain such as this, one that I don't wish even on my worst enemy.

I came back home the next day after we were authorized to fly (and medicated and in panic the pain would come back mid flight) and recuperated home. The 3mm kidney stone eventually was expelled out with no pain and a follow-up visit to the urologist was recommended from the NYC doctor who saw me at the emergency room. During this time, without my necessary awareness and given the pain and traumatic experience of the actual kidney stone, I failed to realize that I was also constipated and would spend days without going to the bathroom, alternating between feces that were thin and pasty and difficult to pass and bouts of nocturnal diarrhea. Aside from this and taking attention from my bowel movements was the fact that even after passing the stone, I was experiencing urinary hesitancy, this feeling of needing to empty my bladder and yet only drops would come out. I would go to the bathroom 30 times a day. To complicate matters further, the urologist prescribed antibiotics because he felt perhaps a post-kidney stone passing urinary tract infection could be taking place, even though no culture was found in the urine. I went through 2 CTs, a cystoscopy (which is the most horrible procedure one can have being awake) and a prostate exam, with no diagnosis found.

Now that my bladder problems went undiagnosed and were deemed "psychological" due to lack of diagnosis, I began noticing that every time I would go to the bathroom to defecate, my feces would come out bloody and I would experience a sharp pain. I attributed originally this to be hemorrhoids since I had them before occasionally and to be honest with you the pain can at times be quite similar. However, unlike my prior occasional bouts of hemorrhoids, this went on for days. And to make matters worse, it would not help that my feces continue to come out pasty and difficult to pass, further potentiating the problem. The 2 prostate exams I had further made it worse and neither doctor was gentle when examining my rectum. This was an overall nightmare but I am now healed and wanted to recommend some steps to those who suffer from this condition:

1- First and foremost I read here that aside from the physicality of this disease, that it is a psychological syndrome. This is the best and most accurate thing I read. DO NOT LET THIS TAKE YOUR LIFE AWAY FROM YOU. At times I would find myself depressed and all I wanted to do was lay down and read things on the internet about procedures and such. This is healthy and informative to a degree but force yourself to do things as you normally would: go to work, take walks, go out with friends, etc... To stay at home ruminating definitely caused worse anxiety and I felt deterred my initial improvement.

2- It should be no news that eating habits are the first thing to tackle. Because I like to eat and cannot fast for days as some people have suggested, my diet consisted of pretty much bananas and baked/mashed potatoes for days. I know some people are lactose intolerant and milk may in fact potentiate problems. But this diet, accompanied by LOTS of water and liquids is really what helped through treatment. And at least I would not be starved. I initially was eating apples but was informed that even though it is full of fiber, its acidity makes it difficult for the fissure to heal. You want to treat your fissure as a sort of a paper cut in a place that is bacteria-prone and very difficult to heal. As such, the acidity in foods can be a deterrent. The minute I cut apples, I noticed healing. Each body is different but this was an interesting observation. Broccoli and cauliflower were also foods that I would sauté and eat when I got tired of potatoes and bananas. Bear in mind diet was even more a difficult topic for me because the urologist gave me a list of foods I could not eat due to high calcium oxalate content, which could once again result in kidney stones. So my list of allowable foods was even smaller :(

3- I began doing sitz baths in the morning and in the evening after I would defecate. I noticed that the panic I created around going to the bathroom due to pain and the psychological fear of bleeding was so bad that I was constipating myself and making the problem even worse. I would sit in bed praying and hoping I would not go to the bathroom more than once per day so the fissure would heal that I would make myself even more tense, which is a big no-no for this disease. Please, as much as you can, refrain from doing this because it potentiated the problem. Once I stabilized by bowel habits, I would go to the bathroom twice per day and even though I would bleed, I would keep a positive attitude and follow with the sitz baths. The baths can be done with warm-to-hot water and a pan full of chamomile flowers boiled which I ran through a strainer into the half-filled bathtube, turning the water slightly yellow. I would sit there for 20 min and found that this was really helpful and soothing and further enabled circulation into the area, which is needed for the fissure to heal.

4- Now comes the actual medicines. I put in my mind after reading some stories about sphincterectomies that I would do everything in my power to avoid the procedure and going through surgery. I even consulted with a rectal surgeon and this was key to my healing but I will mention everything that I took per day and will remind everyone that this involves discipline and patience, two things that I learn along my journey as I had neither:

a. I took probiotics to stabilize my bowel movements every day. In the morning I would take one Florastor and one Culturelle and then another Florastor at night.

b. I took activated charcoal since my naturopath mentioned it would be helpful in cleansing the stomach from toxins. 2 per day - one in the morning and one at night - with food.

c. I only began healing (after reading on this forum) that taking Magnesium and Vitamin E are helpful because the first helps with constipation (which I often fell during the peak of my anal fissure crisis) and the second with actual healing. My homeopath mentioned that everyone should take Magnesium, up to 1,200mg/day so I continue to do so even now after being healed. The vitamin E I take one gel in the morning.

d. FIBER - yes, you probably read people take lots of Fiber. Here in the US, Metamucil is the most popular but it is orange-flavored and tastes disgusting. So I went with Benefiber, which is a clear, tasteless powder that you can mix with water and I took 3 x per day. In addition, I also took Psyllium Organic Fiber as well that you can buy in capsules. So as you can see, lots of fiber indeed.

e. After my sitz baths, I would then go about following a routine. I first would insert (via an enema organic aloe vera into the area - you do not need to go all the way up the colon, just a tad bit so that the aloe vera can penetrate a bit). Secondly, I would use a topical cream prescribed by the oral surgeon that consisted of Diltiazem/Lidocaine/Prilocaine (2/1.5/1.5%), which in the US has to be ordered from a special pharmacy and gets shipped to your house. At times, it did give me a mild headache but it beats the pain and discomfort of the fissure so I kept applying it with my pinkie after the aloe vera. Thirdly, I used Boudreaux Butt Paste, which is an ointment that has 40% Zinc Oxide (in the UK, I know they have ANUSOL, which is similar but the PREP H gels and pastes in America are not as good so you have to complement with this paste. I laid aside those other ointments as they were only mildly helping). Finally (and this I found to be the most helpful), I used Vitamin E coconut/palm oil suppositories which would not only get more of the ointments into the rectum but also would itself assist with the healing. The Hydrocodone suppositories were really helpful in the beginning phase when pain and discomfort would be present, even after going to the bathroom. But I heard too much usage of those can actually irritate the membrane even further and make healing more difficult so I laid those aside as well.

I am now almost one full week without bleeding and continue to follow the above routine diligently (or another full week, at least) since no blood, discomfort or any other symptoms exist. I will also remind you that this disease is a bit tricky. You think you are recuperated and all it takes is one hard bowel movement to take you back to point zero. Do not lose hope and be patient. I feel much better and more comfortable. Make sure you chew your meals as much as possible: I am now back to eating bread and other things in moderation and find myself sitting there like a ruminating cow but I noticed that even with meats, my feces are fibrous and healthy. And most importantly: stay positive! This disease is detrimental but can be healed with lots of patience and dedication.

Finally, I also found that some patients with anal fissures can also have urinary hesitancy. I continue to experience this, although significantly less and find it indeed to coincide with either times in which I am constipated or when I am about to go to the bathroom. No allopathic doctor could find what was wrong with me but I am finally on the path to full recovery and with a different mindset and appreciation for things. Hopefully this will help you out there who is currently suffering from this disorder.
gbarrenh

Topics: 1

Re: Anal Fissure

Postby Scientist2516 » 27 Apr 2015, 21:20

Very nice informative post - thank you.
I hope you continue to heal well.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Sufferingbadly » 01 May 2015, 18:09

Thanks for sharing this! I re-tore yesterday and It got even worse today and my mind was slowly going into a very dark place of depression (which is not good when your trying to care for a newborn). Your post just reminded me to stay positive. I also have been using coconut oil suppositories, but as far as my diet, I've been changing it up alittle because all the fiber has been making me have super loose stools which were on the verge of being like diarrhea. I am basically still trying to figure out what will work for me. I have an appointment on the 11th of may to be seen by a general surgeon. Depending what he thinks, and how bad it really is, I may opt for LIS in June, cos that's when my maternity leave ends and there is no way I can go to work like this! I've already had this for two months... I felt like I was healing and now I think I have not only the original fissure, but a new one also. (Along with having hemmies which makes pooping very difficult cos it feels like my butt wants to come out more than the poop itself) so depressing. Anyway.. Your post reminded me to stay positive and have faith in my body healing itself. All I know is when I have a bad bowel movement, and I use my coconut suppository, I go from pain level of 8 all the way down to a 2or1 pain level. I felt great for almost 2 weeks before re-tearing. I'm not sure what went wrong... All I know is that it really sucks and it makes me think about how I'd rather die then to deal with this issue for however long I'd have to. That kind of thought alone makes me feel sad. I talk to my husband about it but he doesn't understand. I've been venting here a lot so sorry to all of you who read my long replies everywhere. Thanks for reading. Feel free to share any more encouraging words :)
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Jimmy7223 » 25 Jun 2015, 12:31

Hi gbarrenh,

How are you doing? I hope you are continuing to heal. I have had very similar symptoms as you have had and they started at around the same time (2 months ago)...particularly relating to the Urinary issues, which, I found to be the most debilitating and alarming.

At first, while I had pain during a BM, saw blood on the TP, and knew that there was a fissure there, it was the sudden onset of the constant urge to urinate, the inability empty my bladder, weak stream, and feeling as though urine was always dripping that made me go see a doctor. Initially, I didn't even mention the fissure to the DR. as I did not think that had anything to do with it and, throughout my life, I have always suffered with mild pain associated with large hard BMs. Based on only the urinary symptoms the DR. and Urologist actually diagnosed me with Prostitits even though I had NO PROSTATE SWELLING?!?! and started me on a 30 day course of antibiotics that did nothing more than make my stomach and the symptoms worse!

Finally, after a few weeks of no progress, I went to see a Proctologist who identified the fissure and prescribed Nifedipine .2 4 times a day and a suppository with zinc oxide and cocoa butter 2 times a day for three weeks.

It has been about a 2 months now since the symptoms started and about a month since I was using the Nifedipine and I have to say that the symptoms have drastically improved, although, it is a day by day thing, depending on my diet the previous day. In the beginning, it was to the point where I didn't want to leave the house because of the constant discomfort and feeling the need to urinate so often. Now, while the urinary symptoms still do exist, they are much more mild. I also still have the feeling as though my anus is swollen and there is definitely some inflammation, it is nothing like the discomfort I felt in the beginning.

I would love to know if your progress is continuing. Have the urinary symptoms improved?
Jimmy7223
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Fish7nuts » 07 Jun 2016, 09:27

I am new to this site and have already found great information. I have what I would call a medium case of hemorrhoids. They hurt like H E double toothpicks but I have no anal fissure so I cannot complain. What I also have had is severe pain in my penis 24/7. Feel like I have to pee all the time and trouble emptying my bladder. Doc put me on antibiotics but they have not helped. It is apparent to me that the pain of the hemorrhoids is for sure associated with the penis pain. In the morning when I first get up I have less butt pain and my penis pain is virtually gone. By mid day my hemorrhoids hurt and my penis pain is back.
Fish7nuts

Postby Jimmy7223 » 07 Jun 2016, 20:57

This sounds VERY similar to my situation. Not sure if this was specifically related to an anal fissure, or, if this was just from constant abuse from poor bowel habits.

Here is my story...May of 2015 I am on a business trip in Atlanta, having flowin on a tight plane wearing pants too tight in the crotch region. About 1 month previous, before this trip I noticed spasms in between my scrotum and rectum, but it was not painful and did not think anything of it. So, I am in Atlanta and go to have a bowel movement and urinate...this last movement must have been the straw that broke the camels back. I left the bathroom still feeling like I needed to pee! I know I emptied my bladder...what was going on! The feeling was constant...no matter how often I went, nothing took away this full bladder feeling. What's worse, it actually felt like there was urine constantly dripping from my penis. It was an absolute nightmare. I wouldn't describe it as penis pain, so much as, discomfort...I had knocked something loose big time. I thought it must be some kind of urinary tract infection. I got back home and saw the dr. All clear, no infection. He gave me antibiotics telling me it may be prostatitis...even though the prostate was not enlarged? Antibiotics did not help. I was diagnosed and treated with an anal fissure. That cleared up in a few months. Still no relief from the constant feeling of a full bladder and needing to pee. I tries everything. I have come to the conclusion that is must have been nerve damage,

It is now over I year since this started and I can thankfully say that this has cleared up. I am back to normal. No feeling of a full bladder and needing to pee. The damage has healed. The process was just incredibly slow and did not seem as though anything could speed it up. Perhaps if I had visited a neurologist, or had doctors who were able to think outside the box I would have recoeved better treatment and faster healing. I really didn't d
Start feeling better until around December of last year. From then, it continued to get better each week. I can say that I am for the most part just back to a normal life now, and more thankful then ever for it, the torture is over. It does get better, and at times it feels helpless. But, nerves take a very long time to heal. You just have to be patient and trust that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Jimmy7223
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby thatpinoydude » 15 Jun 2016, 07:24

Hello. I just had hemorrhoidectomy, PPH, polypectomy and LIS done and 4 days post op.

Currentlt no bleeding (only bit of smudge), minimal pain and normal BM.

Just remember to keep your stool soft (i take movical 2 sachets at night), lots of fruits especially papaya, baked veggies, yogurt, 3L of water a day, and stay away from red meat! Stick with fish and poultry (minimal) if you can. I also take turmeric supplement, very good anti inflammatory and anti cancer agents, Rutin supplement as vasodilator, mangosteen supplement, moringa supplement, and b-complex.

Also do 10 mins light walk after meals, this should help with digestion a bit. Sitz bath with betadine drops after BM, then apply betadine ointment to disinfect the perianal area.

May sound like a dietician but i swear ive engorged on burgers and steaks and soda my whole life and i can 100% say that's what ended me here in this operation.

I hope you will have a smooth recovery! Praying for you all
thatpinoydude
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2