Anal Thrombosis

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Anal Thrombosis

Postby Phil McCrackin » 18 Feb 2014, 09:56

Hi,

I just took a long haul flight from Australia to Germany and basically sat around for 36 hours. And even though I already have a chronic fissure I developed a large protruding anal vein thrombosis (the day after arriving; along with a bout of diarrhoea!) which is beyond any pain I've ever experienced with the fissure. I saw the doctor today and he said they're supposed to heal on their own after a few weeks, or I can see a surgeon. Apparently they make a cut to relieve the pressure and I guess a lot of blood too. This thing seems to be about an inch long and sticking out about half a cm; and I can't even touch it softly without writhing in sheer agony. I can no longer walk but have to shuffle while wincing in pain as it shoots into my butt. And sleeping is also near impossible. Man, at least the fissure pain settles down after a few hours, but this is just relentless agony. Has anyone else experienced an anal vein thrombosis before? I'll never fly a damn long haul again!!

Cheers.
Phil McCrackin
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: Anal Thrombosis

Postby Scientist2516 » 18 Feb 2014, 11:44

Oh wow, that sounds utterly miserable. Are you really supposed to live with this pain for a few weeks to see if it heals on its own? Maybe you could see somebody else, because that sounds crazy.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Phil McCrackin » 18 Feb 2014, 13:50

Well, I heard back from the surgeon today so I'll see him early Thursday morning. I've had a smaller anal thrombosis before which did go away on its own after a week, but after that long haul flight and sitting for 36 hours it's really bad this time. Lucky I have some really strong painkillers to see me through until then.
Phil McCrackin
Salt Bather

Postby owmybum » 18 Feb 2014, 15:25

I'm really sorry to hear this phil...... My hems always flare up after any sort of travel, so I can imagine the state you're in at the moment after that mamouth journey!!

Have you tried applying ice to the area to calm things down?? The only other thing I can suggest is some hemmorhoid cream with hydrocortisone in it for a week to get that nasty swelling down.

All the best!!

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Savaici » 18 Feb 2014, 18:59

I had a very bad thrombosed hemorrhoid some years ago and can truly understand your pain. Mine was about the size of a golf ball, the worst pain I have ever had in my life! I had surgery, but not sure if would have done the same today.

Hope it's over for you soon! :smilyhug:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Phil McCrackin » 19 Feb 2014, 03:19

Thanks for the replies!

@owmybum: I haven't tried applying ice because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to apply heat or ice? So I've just been sitting in the Sitzbath 3 times a day. It's the only real relief, even more so than the painkillers.. But as soon as I get out of the water it starts throbbing like mad again. It's so bad I have to eat standing up!

The doctor didn't suggest any cream apart from one here in Germany called Xylocain, which is a local anaesthetic. But tomorrow morning I see the surgeon, so hopefully he does something about it. I did read online that it was quite common for people to get an anal thrombosis after a long haul flight. Either way I won't be doing that again.

@Savaici: Geez, sorry to hear you also went through this - the size of a golf ball!! That must have been excruciating. The doctor didn't say it would be major surgery; just a small incision to relieve the pressure - no stitches or anything. But putting up with this pain for another week or two until it heals on its own is just a crazy thought. I've been so close to checking myself into hospital, but if I don't sit and walk around it's just tolerable. Surprisingly my BMs aren't as terrifying as I thought they'd be. But wiping is impossible. I have to dab very lightly with moist toilet paper and then clean up properly in the shower.
Phil McCrackin
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 23 Feb 2014, 20:35

Hi Phil

Geez. So sorry to hear this. How are you doing?
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Phil McCrackin » 24 Feb 2014, 01:33

Hi jr2..
Things are much better now, thanks. I've been using a cream prescribed by the surgeon 3 times a day for vein inflammation and it's decreased in size considerably; and there's only slight pain when I wipe or touch it. Now it feels very small - like pea size. He said it should be gone within the week. Each day it just keeps getting smaller, so I'm really happy I didn't need surgery for this! It's funny because I haven't thought of the fissure the entire time of dealing with this thrombosis, so that's a plus.
Cheers.
Phil McCrackin
Salt Bather

Postby owmybum » 24 Feb 2014, 05:12

That's really good news...... What I'd the cream you have been prescribed??
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Phil McCrackin » 24 Feb 2014, 06:07

owmybum wrote:That's really good news...... What I'd the cream you have been prescribed??

It's a gel called "Heparin" made from "pig gut mucus".. Sounds nice doesn't it? Don't know what it would be called in English.
Phil McCrackin
Salt Bather