Anidepressent?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Anidepressent?

Postby Jen » 28 Feb 2008, 13:41

This is kind of a wierd question, but is anyone on an antianxiety/antidepressent medication and has a fissure as well? I am going to my family doctor to see about getting on this kind of medication today. This fissure has my anxiety level sky rocketing and along with nursing school and not being able to schedule a surgery, I am mentally spent. If thoses things are not bad enough, today I found out that the center that did my colonoscopy was using dirty syringes and I am at risk for hepatitis and HIV. You can read about this exposure at this link http://lasvegas.about.com/ This news put my anxiety over the top today, and I have found I am mentally unable to do my schoolwork.
My question is does anxiety medication cause contipation or bowel problems? I think at this point that is the only reason I have not to take the meds.
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Re: Anidepressent?

Postby Deleted User 5 » 28 Feb 2008, 13:44

I am sure some others will be along soon, but I know that some can cause temporary constipation upon initial use, but not permanent. Several boardies use Cymbalta to no ill effect.
One thing I have learned since being on this board is how stress can wreak havoc on one's butt and digestive system, so an antidepressant should surely help that.
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 28 Feb 2008, 14:33

This is just horrible what they did to you - I mean - I would be freaking out same as you!!! Oh my GOD !!!!!! I am sooooooo sorry that you have to go through so much stress- as if fissure is not enough : ((( ...
I was prescribed Valium by my CRS to relax sphincter and I did not find it constipating at all. I , from the other hand, am not prone to constipation, so I don't know how it will effect you. You might try to start with minimal dose and increase it over couple of weeks to see how it effects your body in general.
Best of luck with everything !!! Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Jen » 28 Feb 2008, 15:49

Thanks for your responses! I think I am also not prone to constipation, but with new meds - who knows - it could happen. I think I need somthing to get me through this anxiety...maybe it will clam my nerves about using the restroom too.
I didn't even want the colonoscopy in the first place! I thought it was dumb to get because my problem is with my anus, not my colon. But, I figured it was something I had to do to get a proper diagnosis...the dumb GI doc diagnosed me with a normal colon. I was pissed, and thats when I was sent to the CRS. But now, the fact that they were using dirty syringes puts me over the top! Ahhh...
Thanks for listening to me vent...
Jen
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 28 Feb 2008, 17:49

I actually started them during my whole fissure fiasco b/c I felt like I needed some help seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I am on wellbutrin and like it so far although I am experiencing some side effects that are textbook (you should know since you are in nursing school) and I am not worried. I'm a new nurse btw and nursing school is hell so I totally get where you are coming from on both ends. No pun intended, hehe. Also, I was prescribed valium and ativan at diff times to relax me and the muscle and they along with the antidepressants aren't constipating to me at all but they benzos make me sleepy so I don't take them a lot and esp not at work. Hope this helps.

Postby Guest » 28 Feb 2008, 18:41

Many of the antidepressants have constipation listed as a side effect but I found from my own experience taking Cymbalta and Wellbutrin that I only noticed just slight constipation for a few days and then my body adjusted just fine.

Maybe your doctor can prescribe Xanax shortterm while you are waiting for the antidepressants to take full effect.

Do they use syringes during a colonoscopy for sedation? Sorry you are under so much stress. Try to study in the tub if you can so that your anal muscles can relax.

Postby Guest » 28 Feb 2008, 20:36

I have used antidepressants for along period of time, and a nerve pill called xanax. I also use two blood pressure pills, one a diruetic, and on e is toprol. all these pills cause constipation. You have got to think about the pills you take and add extra fiber to your diet or you will suffer. Think of fiber as Gods food. That may sound silly, but it has helped me stop eating cheeseburgers, french fries and a coke every day at lunch. I really feel better, but every time i go poop after the surgery, I am still in pain only 7 weeks out. Just read youir meds side effects, and keep the fiber in your diet no matter what!

Postby Jen » 28 Feb 2008, 22:28

Well, I got a RX for a low dose of zoloft for my anxiety. The doc says it should not make me constipated...She wanted to give me Xanex so I could take it now (the zoloft takes a few weeks to start working). I told her no...I am scared to take 2 kinds of anxiety meds...I am afraid I will have an accidental like poor Heath Ledger.
Yes, they use sedation for colonoscopies here in Vegas...Every part of the county is different when it comes to this. I actually liked sleeping through my colonoscopy, but if I would have known it was a dirty syring, I would have delt with it awake. They are totally going to get the crap sued out of them!
I will let every know what happenes with the zoloft!
Jen
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 28 Feb 2008, 23:39

Good luck with Zoloft _ I really hope you will find some peace of mind soon - poor girl : (((.
Don't blame yourself for taking sedation for colonoscopy - I would too, as did about anybody I know !!! It was their ignorance and negligence that caused problem for so many people - that technician should be sued for involuntary manslaughter
!!!!!
I wish you all the best Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby happyass » 29 Feb 2008, 00:44

that's great you got something.....
i don't have experience with zoloft but i definitely was on cloud nine with effexor and effexor xr but eventually my sleeping later turned into insomnia and i just couldn't deal with it anymore regardless of the benefit i had with my anxiety/depression.
cymbalta has been a good friend. i was on 60mg for nine months. and then quit. and then a month later, i started cymbalta at 30mg because my body was not liking how i just got off the 60mg. eventually, i will work my way to 20 mg and then i don't know what i am going to do from there.......
i have experienced constipation with both and it just wasn't the first few days. mine seemed like it stayed for the duration of the medication.
i was going to suggest seeing if you could ask for ATARAX which can be used as a anti-anxiety/sedative and it works just like valium. i actually used atarax when i had hives/welts back in 90 and it was a dream and eventually my hives/welts finally disappeared (i was under so much stress back then you couldn't believe.)
good luck with everything. they sedated me - twilight - for my colonoscopy last year and it was divine! it put me right out and the next thing was that i woke up without any feeling of any drugs used to put me out. i'll take some more versed + twilight please.....hehehehehe......
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion