Any questions to ask my surgeon?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Any questions to ask my surgeon?

Postby Guest » 14 Nov 2007, 11:59

I'm seeing my surgeon tomorrow and wondered if anyone had any tips on what to ask?
I've been on the anoheal (diltiazem) for 6 weeks, but to be honest I don't think it's helping much apart from aiding pain relief.
I get the feeling they will want me to keep on with the cream for a while longer before they consider anything else, but I am going to push for surgery. I am so fed up with feeling like this, it's so bad some days I would rather have a colostomy bag :(
Just when I feel like I am getting somewhere I get constipated for no reason at all, no change in diet or fluid intake, and everything goes right back to the starting post.
She did say last time that after 7 years they need to get this sorted, but how can I persuade them to go ahead with the surgery? Here in the UK it seems to be a last resort :( I get the feeling that's mostly to do with cost. I'm willing to pay if neccessary.

Re: Any questions to ask my surgeon?

Postby Guest » 14 Nov 2007, 12:09

how did you actually get to see a surgeon in the uk? i think i should see one but not if i have to pay loads.
can you please ask if a fissure can be there for a long time and not be visible, no pain bleeding ect. and sometines flare up and open again for a while then go. if thats normal. coz thats what happens to me! Cheers

Postby Guest » 14 Nov 2007, 12:15

mybodyhatesme wrote:how did you actually get to see a surgeon in the uk? i think i should see one but not if i have to pay loads.
can you please ask if a fissure can be there for a long time and not be visible, no pain bleeding ect. and sometines flare up and open again for a while then go. if thats normal. coz thats what happens to me! Cheers

I think the only reason I got to see a surgeon is because I went into A&E. I was in absolute agony and when I rang the GP she said go into A&E you'll get seen sooner. They told me in A&E that it was probably hemmies and made me an appointment in outpatients with the surgeon Image
This is my 2nd time seeing her tomorrow, I asked her your question last time as that's how I have been for 7 years. She said it probably heals to some extent so there is no pain or bleeding, but then a bout of constipation, or even straining to lift something can re-tear it :shock:
You could ask your GP to refer you, but if all else fails head to A&E Image

Postby Guest » 14 Nov 2007, 12:45

so even though the wound heals over the weakness is still there? what did they say could be done to stop re-tears except change in diet (im already eating healthy). maybe i could get my a-hole re-enfoced with leather?

Postby juney » 14 Nov 2007, 13:13

hahaha, i would love a leather a-hole if it stops the pain and prevents this from happening ever again! btw, your name "mybodyhatesme" is exactly how i feel most of the time!!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 15 Nov 2007, 04:35

hehehe a leather butt sounds good.
All they told me really was to keep up the fibre, drink plenty, all the stuff we already know.
They did say that sometimes that alone and the cream doesn't work and then it's surgery. I guess it depends on how well you heal usually and the amount of blood flow around there as well.
I'll try and get more info today, I feel more in the know this time, thanks to this forum :)

Postby Guest » 15 Nov 2007, 06:12

thanks for your help!

Postby Guest » 15 Nov 2007, 06:19

was thinking maybe anti-wrinkle cream would work as it strengthens skin and makes in more elastic?

Postby Deleted User 5 » 15 Nov 2007, 09:49

Well, I would be asking about the recovery time from the surgery, and if it is an overnight stay.
Deleted User 5

Postby buttgirl » 15 Nov 2007, 10:51

I'd ask if this is a procedure s/he does fairly regularly and if he has any additional recommendations for post-op care. I'd also ask how long he thinks you should take off work.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67