anyone else on lactulose?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

anyone else on lactulose?

Postby fairy » 10 Nov 2010, 09:47

hi ive been on lactulose for years now due to constipating medication for another illness...i was wondering if anyone else been on it for a long time.....im trying to cut down as take too much now and im worried its doing me harm (not told gp just how much i take )
fairy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: anyone else on lactulose?

Postby Guest » 11 Nov 2010, 09:09

I'm not familiar with lactulose Fairy...Maybe some of the others will respond. I'm not sure if it is a stimulant laxative or not? I think stimulant laxatives aren't really good to take for long periods because they can make the bowel lazy.
If it is and you decide to wean off, I would replace it with a stool softener such as miralax( movicol) or colace (docusate sodium) which draw water into the bowel and make the stool soft.

Postby afugh!! » 11 Nov 2010, 14:43

I googled up lactulose and it seems it does more than just being a stool softener.Maybe you should try what Dawn is suggesting,I'm currently on Colace myself.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby StevePain » 12 Nov 2010, 16:34

I was given Lactulose as my first laxative right at the start of my fissure hell, I only used it for 2 weeks then gave it up as it wasn't having the desired effect, to be honest, it's really not worth taking, ask your GP for Movicol, don't bother with Docusate Sodium either IMO.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby sphinctersaurus » 15 Nov 2010, 00:03

I was given Lactulose first too. I used it for over a year, and it really was a waste of time! Things didn't really start getting better for me at all until I started using Movicol/Miralax. Neither my doctor nor my CRS recommended it, I just saw that so many here thought it was the best one, and asked for it.
Might be worth a try!
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10