Are post-op spasms/zingers normal?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Are post-op spasms/zingers normal?

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 29 Apr 2013, 15:49

Hi everyone! Just had LIS this afternoon. I'm at home recovering, and I keep getting those searing, stabbing pains we're all too familiar with. Is it normal for the sphincter to still spasm after surgery (if that's in fact the source of the pain)? I'm worried that this is an early sign that the surgery didn't work- which is maybe just crazy panic, but I was so hoping that the zingers would be gone! How long after surgery did they go away for you guys?
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Are post-op spasms/zingers normal?

Postby Savaici » 30 Apr 2013, 11:48

Ceeteefebs,
Glad that your surgery is over. Great! Now it is the road to total recovery for you.
I have not had this type of surgery, but I am pretty much sure that what you are experiencing is normal after LIS. So, do concentrate on looking after yourself, drinking enough water, taking fibre for smooth BM, and keep control of the pain.
Hopefully someone who has had the surgery will reply, but there are also a lot of posts on here from people who have had LIS, recovered and moved on.
Thinking of you. Get better soon! Image
Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Anne37 » 30 Apr 2013, 12:03

Hi, Ceeteefeebs. I had LIS and a fissurectomy last Thursday, so 5 days ago and am feeling slight zingers for the first time today. I'm assuming you haven't had your first BM yet, but am guessing you'll know after that whether the surgery worked or not. Before the surgery, I'd have pain anywhere from 8-12 hours after a BM and now, post surgery... the actual BM is slightly more painful, but the pain subsides within 15 minutes since there's no more spasming. I'm hoping this pain is from the actual sphincterotomoy and the fact that my fissure is not fully healed yet. Hope that helps and that you are feeling well.
Anne37
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 30 Apr 2013, 12:35

Thanks so much for responding, guys! I'm 24 hours post-op... It seems like the spasms are definitely subsiding (whew!!! Crossing fingers it stays that way!) Still working on having that post-surgery BM though, so we'll see where things go from there.
Anne, keep me posted on your progress! It sounds like we are very much in the same boat. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy and full recovery!
In case anyone considering the surgery reads this, I'll add that the pain is no worse than a moderate to bad day of fissure pain- and at times I'm already feeling pain-free. I'm already off the Percoset and am only taking 400 mg of Motrin as needed. There is some blood, but it's been light and very tolerable. Pre-op, I had been suffering from spasms throughout the day (and all day), so for me I'm already at a better quality of life than before the surgery. I don't know what the BM will bring or if there will be any unsavory long-term effects (continence-wise), but so far I have to say I'm glad I did this. If fear is the only thing holding you back, let go of the fear. The daily fissure pain was far worse than the surgery and recovery (so far!).
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Postby ravians » 01 May 2013, 02:36

hello. I m going for lis tomorrow. I have two painful n one small fissures. can't help u answering ur q but hope someone will who have already gone through it. stay connected n keep posting. n please tell me about ur fissure problem what it was? take care wish u a very speedy recovery.
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 01 May 2013, 21:10

Hey Ravians, how are you doing? Did you get your LIS today? Hope you're feeling well!
This will sound crazy, but I don't have the specifics on my AF. I was in unbearable pain, and I opted to schedule
a sigmoidoscopy and surgery together with my CRS. He met with my husband while I was in recovery, but I won't have specifics on what he found and did until I meet with him this Tuesday. He said I had a midline fissure that wasn't healing properly on its own. He did some cutting around the fissure/scar tissue, but I'm not sure to what extent. I'll keep you posted!
As for my progress: I'm 2.5 days post-op. Feeling okay. I'm struggling to regulate the frequency and consistency of my BMs, so that has been... Interesting. I've had quite a bit of rectal itching today (driving me bonkers!!!), and I e bad some mild spasms. Managing pain with 400mg of Motrin/ibuprofen. Rectal bleeding gone (hopefully for good!), and no leakage. Some slight icontinence with gas, but at least I can out-angel gas my husband. Image Sorry for all the TMI, but if it helps just one person it's worth it!
I'm thinking of you and hoping for a speedy recovery for you.
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Postby suzyljank » 02 May 2013, 13:13

I think that's normal. We all process pain differently and your bum has lots of nerve endings. I think as long as you see improvement and not a decline you should be just fine. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 02 May 2013, 13:21

Thanks, Suzy! That's what I'm hoping! I heard that it can take the muscle some time to relax and stop spasming. I'm really hoping this is the case! Where are you in your AF journey (if I might ask)?
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Postby suzyljank » 02 May 2013, 17:39

Hi, I'm seven day out from a double flap anoplasty. I'm doing alright. Pain can get to be a bit much at times but I just had my post op visit with my CRS and he said I'm doing really well. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 03 May 2013, 21:23

Man, you're a tough cookie! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that every day you feel a bit better! :)
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather