Back again

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Back again

Postby sore » 09 Apr 2016, 01:07

Hi all,

I found this board about 5 years ago when I was first diagnosed as having an AF and haemmies, and it was SO helpful then. Things have been up and down since then in terms of healing and retearing, but the last few months things have gone downhill again...so here I am once more. :( It really helps knowing there are people here who completely relate to what you are going through. So, thanks.

I have IBS-C....have done my whole life, and I'm sure it is that which is the cause of my butt issues. I am seeing a new dietitian who recommended I try the low FODMAP diet (actually, a doctor recommended I try it about two years ago but at the time I didn't think it was actually for me as I didn't seem to have a problem with wheat....I've since realised I was wrong). I have been on it for just over two weeks now and so far I have been constipated the whole time - no BM for 7 days the first week, even getting adequate fibre, water and exercise, and now I am day 8 of no proper BM since then. Have resorted to Movicol to get things moving again and soft (I did this last week too) though M gives me bad cramps and lots of tummy gurgling so I prefer not having to take it. Plus, I mean, the whole FODMAP thing is supposed to improve things not make you more constipated. I am a bit disappointed my first few weeks on it have been less than ideal, but am hoping they improve over time.

Anyway, just thought I'd stop by and introduce myself here again (I actually can't remember the username I used to go under so I signed up with a new one). Thanks again for the support.
sore
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: Back again

Postby Canadabum » 11 Apr 2016, 13:09

Sore -- welcome back...sorry you have to be back! I will be interested in how the FODMAP diet works for you...keep us posted. Yes, it should help your system rather than constipate....but sometimes when we change our systems dramatically they respond in weird ways. Perhaps gradually make changes rather than all at once?

All best - Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby sore » 11 Apr 2016, 20:26

Thanks, Canadabum.

The changes in my diet to low FODMAP haven't been that severe, excepting removing wheat, switching to lactose free products and now eating only dark chocolate. :D But the two weeks prior to that a doctor who didn't know about the FODMAP research put me on a very "plain" diet thinking this was best as the IBS was out of control. (I was losing weight, abdominal pain was ridiculous and I was so fatigued I would sleep 10-12 hours a night then have to have a 2 hour nap each day with very little energy the rest of the time - but during all that I was still regular so wasn't having any AF problems.) In retrospect, I think it was the plain diet which caused the constipation (which caused the AF issues again) - kind of shocked my large intestine causing it to pretty much stop moving things through (during that time I was eating a lot of veggies that are actually high FODMAP so inadvertently I was digging myself into a deeper hole). So when I started the low FODMAP program, my system was already in a state of...well, statis. I think had I just gone from my regular diet to the low FODMAP one I wouldn't have had many issues, but who knows?

Anyway, Movicol has been welcomed back into my life and it is helping get things back on track again. And a BIG positive is that I have much better energy levels again...and I'm not getting pain from food anymore (just the regular Movicol pain, bloating and gurgling - does everyone get that??). Now it is the AF that is causing most of the grief. But I know that will heal again in time (been there, done that....it helps to know from personal experience that this doesn't last forever). :)
sore
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Canadabum » 11 Apr 2016, 20:45

Thanks for the insight...hope the low fodmap diet continues to provide you relief and that healing is speedy for you.
Canadabum

Topics: 19