Banding questions

does it work? does it hurt?

Do you have Hemorrhoids and are contemplating or have had a Hemorrhoidectomy? If you are thinking of surgery, or want to ask questions on anything to do with Hemorrhoids, or want to share with others who have been through this, this is the place!

Return to Hemorrhoids and Hemorrhoidectomy

Banding questions

Postby In Denial » 02 Sep 2014, 12:11

Hi Fellow sufferers.

I have a question about the banding procedure, i have a few internal piles that are causing me trouble, they tend to give me a stabbing pain at random points in the day to remind me that i do have some issues. I did have a CRS appointment booked for last week but chickened out so need to rebook and find out what is wrong.

I would like some information on the banding procedure for hems, if you have it done how painful and how quick was the recovery. I am scared but would rather go through a couple of weeks of pain if it resolves how i am feeling now.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

:thanx:
In Denial
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Banding questions

Postby msimon » 02 Sep 2014, 17:45

Hi In Denial. I have had banding done several times before and found it to be rather painful for me (but nothing like surgery) but I have pelvic floor dysfunction and am really sensitive. That being said, it was nothing I couldn't handle and is best in order to avoid surgery. If I was smart I would take an ibuprofen or 2 first as that really helps take the edge off. Some Doctors will only do one at a time while others will do 2, separated by 1 month's time. I found 2 at once to be too painful for me. So it depends on your pain tolerance and how significant they are in size. Many people don't find it very painful. I believe it depends a lot on proper positioning. It must be done above the dentate line (where we do not have pain receptors) and a skilled CRS should be able to do this. Also, apparently it can be really painful if done too tight and that is something you would know right away and they can remove it then on the spot. Just make sure you say if it is too painful so you don't have to suffer or go back in agony.

When they placed the band on me it feels like pressure inside and this builds to an ache and even a throb but for me this would only last until the next morning as the bands always came off with my next BM. Not sure why they always come off so soon but they were always successful...

FYI, the last time I got banded the Doc cut me with the scope and I have had this fissure for 9 hellish months now. If you think you may have a fissure, I would caution you against inserting anything in there.

Are you sure that the stabbing pains are due to hemmies? I always linked stabbing pain to muscle spasm and, therefore, usually a fissure. Internal hemmies are supposed to be painless (not sure if this is true) unless they are prolapsing. External hemmies, for me, feel like someone is pinching my butthole, they can also throb and burn and itch.

Where is the stabbing you feel?

Have you tried any of the muscle relaxing ointments (nitro,nifedipine,diltiazem) to see if they help this?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby In Denial » 03 Sep 2014, 00:41

Thank you msimom for your detailed response. The reason I don't think I have a fissure is because they aren't sharp stabbing pains, I have no blood with BM and BMs are not painful. I will need to see the CRS, but I am worried that I could end up worse after the examine and prod.

I am so sorry to hear of your suffering. How are you now?
In Denial
Fibre Addict

Postby owmybum » 03 Sep 2014, 06:39

Sorry to say, I gained my fissure after hem banding and tag removal. I used to have throbbing pain from my hems, but it was the fact that I used to bleed a hell of a lot with a bm that prompted me to get them done.
Biggest mistake of my life.
3 years later... They have grown back anyway!!!

My advice would be to run for the hills and use hem suppositories... And give them some time to calm down.
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby In Denial » 03 Sep 2014, 14:00

OMB you poor thing, how awful that must have been. I am in a bit of dilema because the pain is not stopping me from doing things but the uncomfortable pinching feeling is there reminding me that I do not have a 'normal bum'. I just want to go back to how i was 3 months ago! Sometimes i feel like i can get on with it and not have anything done to them other times i feel like i can't cope and just want someone to do something to them.

Good days and bad days
In Denial
Fibre Addict