Blood One day, Fine the next.......

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Blood One day, Fine the next.......

Postby Guest » 28 Feb 2009, 18:50

Posting no longer available.
Last edited by Guest on 26 Mar 2009, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 28 Feb 2009, 21:34

Point/counterpoint! Yippee!!
On the face of it, there does appear to be a causal relationship between Raul's running, the sudden discomfort during running, and the bleeding.
And there is almost certainly a mechanical relationship between exercise involving the legs, i.e. running, and wear and tear on a fissure which is located just at the rectal opening.
And while I'm the first to admit I have no medical training beyond paramedics, I know that when I had my fissure, it hurt to move or stretch my legs in a certain way, it hurt at the fissure site. There was a relationship between certain motions and pain -- for me...
I don't think anyone here denies the benefits of exercise, especially holistically; however it may help with digestion and the pelvic floor, and however many endorphins may go happily coursing through one's bloodstream, the real question is mechanics and the affect on the sphincter. Until the sphincter loosens up, healing just usually is not gonna happen, however healthy the rest of the colorectal system is.

Raul was just seen and told his fissure hadn't healed, are you suggesting he be rechecked by the same CRS? If it were me, I might call and let the doctor know what happened, and ask if indeed exercise is good or bad...but since there seems to be a direct relationship between the exercise (which has been problematic for many on this forum over the past two years) and the bleeding/discomfort, I would focus on healing the fissure and not risk further damage by exercise that involves mechanical stretching and stress on the anus. Raul stated that the bleeding was bright red and not enough to cause him too much concern. Fissures bleed, and they bleed when they get opened in some form or fashion. Until they heal completely, they generally (but not always ) bleed, though less and less over time if they are healing.

All the while, we keep in mind that no two individuals or their fissures are the same, and the position of the fissure (6 vs. 12 o'clock, etc) may mean the difference in exercise toleration...
I do hope you are right, Amy, really I do...but I'm terribly skeptical....
Maybe the next boardie who visits his/her CRS could ask about exercise?
Just my 2 cents ...
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 01 Mar 2009, 01:15

I also think that is it absolutely individual. I certainly was not able to do ANYTHING LOL, not to mention exercise. I was literary bed-ridden with spasms and intensity of the pain !!! My spasms were 24/7 - NO part of the day with less pain - just strong pain and excruciating pain alternating. My sphincter was so strong that even after first LIS one of the CRSs made " oh-ooooooo" sound involuntarily when he "felt" my sphincter Image !!! I could have been a "side show" , I swear (opening bottles and such Image ). There was NOOOOOOO exercise or straching that could possibly relax that mammoth-size sphincter - no way Jose LOL !!!! NOT EVEN VALIUM RELAXED IT !!!!
Some sports CAN cause fissures - biking and rowing , for example , and doctor saying that "you do not ride on your anus" probably never rode a bike since age 2 or has such a fat ass that he rides on something else !!!! I am flabbergasted, to say the least ...
The simple rule with fissure is : do not do anything that makes you uncomfortable Image or you will regret that later a BIG TIME !!!
My 3 cents ...
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Corsi » 01 Mar 2009, 05:00

Kim wrote:All the while, we keep in mind that no two individuals or their fissures are the same, and the position of the fissure (6 vs. 12 o'clock, etc) may mean the difference in exercise toleration...

I agree in this and what Fissy said, people are different and have to deal with this and other things in different ways. I have not been able to do be very active, some days I have only been able to go for a short walk in the evening when my fissure had calmed down. I have hated that bit of fissure life because I like being active and it's healthy for you.
Let pain and discomfort be the guide to how much one can do... I envy you Amy for being able to be so active and work :)
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Guest » 01 Mar 2009, 11:38

Postby Deleted User 5 » 01 Mar 2009, 11:53

Oh, no you didn't sound rigid or militant, I hope I didn't either!
It's true, we all handle the pain differently...I see some people just diasbled by a fissure while I was still able to work although it wasn't easy.
i still hope someone will get a professional opinion on this, although I'm sure it would come with a disclaimer!
Deleted User 5

Postby Corsi » 01 Mar 2009, 13:47

I like those 30 min walks...I think that they have kept me sane this last year...being able to something...
snafu13 wrote: I do what my body can handle, even if it's only a 30 min walk.
I have had to make choices and accept a lot of discomfort and find ways to soothe myself. So it is also because of a long struggle that my feelings around being active are what they are....
Don't mean to come off all rigid or militant! Amy

You are not rigid or militant Amy, people are allowed to have opinions...we are not walking on egg shells her :D
The thing you write about accepting things is wise, that's the best way to go when one has a chronic condidtion, but boy - it's not always easy...I know I have been bitter and angry about my chronic disease, but in the end it's my problem and I have to live with it and deal with it.
Corsica Image
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Fissulyna » 01 Mar 2009, 15:52

Ah, of course, Amy - everybody here can express their view Image - that is what this forum is supposed to be - a place where we all can share our experiences and give advices from AGAIN our own experiences and than whoever asked for opinion makes his/her own decision of what approach suits him/her the best.
As with everything else - there is no "one size fits all" or ever will be. Not everybody is in the same level or pain and not everybody has same coping mechanisms. For some exercise is an outlet, for others it is meditation and with equal results.
One thing is for sure though - if you find any activity, food , beverage, medicine or herb or any possible thing making your situation worse - stay away from it Image When we are sick the slogan "no pain - no gain" does not apply Image
One just has to listen to ones body and intuition and do whatever is necessary to ease the pain and make oneself functional. For me the only solution was LIS ...
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Guest » 01 Mar 2009, 23:28

Postby Fissulyna » 01 Mar 2009, 23:56

Ha ha, Amy Image - you are absolutely right Image Image Image - we discuss what level of exercise is appropriate or not and Raul is maybe ex-ing Margaritas right now without any pain or bleeding down there ( and I wish him that with all of my heart :paddysmiley1: ) !!!!
Please be careful with those weights - maybe you can do hand and back exercises while sitting on the bench . I never had hemorrhoid problems but still, my first post LIS no.1 mishap happened after I pulled queen size chaise on the patio Image Image , and I have very strong muscles and am very well toned Image . Next time my butt "complained" after one full day of gardening and carrying big bags of mulch and dirt around Image . For me there is some connection there , absolutely . For some other people it might not be the case, but I just like to warn - I always think that if something bad happened for me and than I can prevent it happening to somebody else, than my pain was not completely in vane , if that makes any sense Image
My GI is fast as Speedy Gonzales ( do you remember that cartoon :D ???). I went twice a day my whole life and still do and during fissure days when I used stool softeners I went FIVE times - can you imagine THAT torture Image !?!
I am very glad to see that you are becoming comfortable here on our board :paddysmiley2: , it would be very "blah" place if everybody would have same approach and same experience- there would be nothing to share Image !!!
All the best Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion