Booked Surgery for 9 July - questions!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Booked Surgery for 9 July - questions!

Postby Fissulyna » 03 Jul 2008, 18:52

LIS cut was gone in 2 days for me !!!
Having a fissure for a year makes it very hard to heal on its own. I was warned by my CRS not to wait too long since scar tissue starts forming. I had it for 5 months and I already had some scar tissue ! Not only that, but other CRS told me that scar tissue can make one incontinent !!!!!! That definitely helped me to make fast decision and have it done rather sooner than later.
Best of luck !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 03 Jul 2008, 21:34

Thanks so much for the replies!
Wow - so if the LIS cut can heal in two days (lets say 10 days or so even), what is the pain people are experiencing for weeks? Is this related to a the fissurectomy/fissures still causing pain?
To be more specific, I thought the weeks of pain people were experiencing was directly related to the surgery - the LIS cut of the muscle etc? But this seems not be the case, that it emanates from the fissures/fissurectomy which was obviously present before surgery?

Postby Guest » 03 Jul 2008, 21:57

Oh and one more question - is removing scar tissue the same as a fissurectomy?

Postby Fissulyna » 03 Jul 2008, 22:40

The pain I felt after surgery was no way even close to the pain I had before the surgery. It was more like some dull pain on the side where incision was - probably muscle pain, again- nothing worth mentioning. Fissure site had some scratchy feeling and some burning - really again nothing even remotely as fissure pain. There was some swelling for couple of days and some mild bruising - I had LIS Dec. 20th and went celebrating New Years Eve and danced and eat normal food. As I said, my healing was fast, but I am still prone to injuries now that my sphincter regained most of it's
strength : ( ! 9 weeks post LIS I felt the best - my butt was almost like new.
Yes, fissurectomy is removal of scar tissue. They basically "shave
off" the edges of a fissure so they can adhere nicely together and
prevent formation of space beneath the surface of the fissure which than can lead to abscess formation.
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Guest » 04 Jul 2008, 03:39

Ok - that is very interesting. I would assume that there is some intense pain associated with the fissurectomy - I guess that could be a major issue!
Anyone else want to comment on the LIS cut itself VS the pain associated from fissures etc

Postby Deleted User 5 » 04 Jul 2008, 15:56

For me, when I forst came out of surgery and woke up, it felt like a bomb had gone off in my arse. Later, after the pain killers, it was just very very sore for a week, and then it got much better, but I was still pretty weak after 1 1/2 weeks. But the experiences shared here on the board are quite variable, some seem to bound back in jst a day or two.
My fissure site rarely hurt, but when it did if was horrible and worse than the LIS cut ever was.
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 04 Jul 2008, 16:34

Kim, did your fissure site hurt after LIS ??? Same as before the LIS?
So interesting how we all are different , or maybe my pain level was
soooooooo "out there" before the surgery that all pain after it was like "cat's meow " Image . But , now that I remembered - I had 2 week check-up and I was "fingered" and felt no pain at all !!!! Later though my fissure site burned like hell that day because she used lidocaine and it burned my butt : (. Next day all was fine again. I took only one Perkocet after surgery and some Tylenol for couple of days.
We are all so different , that it is impossible to draw one universal plan or conclusion : (. But ,the only fact is that everybody that had a LIS said they never regretted having it , regardless of the final outcome (full resolution of the problem or partial).
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby val » 05 Jul 2008, 09:31

I dont think the pain is comparable - after the LIS is SO much better than before. Dont get me wrong, its going to hurt a bit afterwards, but it feels like a healing sort of pain. I had stitches from a skin tag removal, plus a fistulotomy and it was still better afterwards than before, except the first couple of days.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 05 Jul 2008, 10:14

For me the pain from the fissure after surgery was and still is a non factor. Just a little under two weeks after surgery it had closed and I have not experienced anything even close to the pre surgery pain. Also the Dr did a digital exam about two weeks after surgery that would have been impossible before LIS

Postby Guest » 06 Jul 2008, 16:48

Thanks for all your responses!
My fissures are going really well at the moment; but have been fooled too many times before! In a strange way, I am looking forward to getting the LIS. My "resting" sphincter seems pretty relax, which should help the healing further after surgery. Just need to wait and see if he cuts a lot of the scar tissue I guess.
You guys have been great...