Breakfast

Your input please!

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Breakfast

Postby Ever the Optimist » 09 Nov 2013, 04:34

Hi all,
I'm doing some personal research on things that work for you diet-wise & hoping to put this stuff together as a useful reference guide in the future.....

Starting with breakfast, how do you start your day, what provides you with nice soft stools later and keeps you full up & satisfied until lunch?? Do you snack between breakfast & lunch and if so, with what?

I'll start with my "Good Morning Quaker Oats" - Honey & Almond flavoured. These are the sachets you add milk to & simply heat in a microwave for 2 minutes. I add more cinnamon & swirl through a spoon of Manuka honey (10+)
I often make my own porridge too with Oats but add water & the above or some chopped fruit (soft tinned prunes are delicious!)

This morning it's accompanied by a mug of freshly squeezed lemon juice & more honey because I have a horrible cold! + a large mug of camomile tea & a pint glass of water. + my Zinc capsule & Fish Oil capsule.

Many thanks all - Enjoy your day :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Re: Breakfast

Postby Scientist2516 » 09 Nov 2013, 09:53

Currently I'm eating a bowl of oatmeal (porridge) every day. I use quick quaker oats and cook them with a handful of almonds and a handful of raisins and cranberries. A sprinkle of cinnamon for even more flavour.
Sometimes I also grate an apple or chop up a pear into the porridge.
The most important part of breakfast is a big glass of water, or half water, half orange juice, and a big cup of weak tea.
I also take a multi vitamin.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby owmybum » 09 Nov 2013, 15:03

Another one for porridge here too ETO.
I make it with half milk, half water and add a bit of honey, chopped banana, or handful of raisins to it with a glass of water and cup of weak sweet tea.

If I'm feeling really adventurous ill have some well chewed alpen!!! Lol

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Turk the cat » 09 Nov 2013, 16:31

For many months I was eating a breakfast of 1.5 tbsp raw Chia seeds & 1.5 ground flax seed mixed together with some walnuts and fruit (ripe banana/fig/dates etc) and about 1 cup almond milk. Stir it up, leave for about 15 minutes (longer the better), giving the occasional stir during that time. Super healthy but recently I stopped it on a daily basis. I think I was getting too much fiber this way and too solid stool. I think you have to drink a TON of water when taking chia & flax.

Nowadays I'm usually eating quick oak porridge, usually making it on the stovetop. Adding almond milk instead of dairy. I can't say enough good things about ALMOND MILK whoo-hoo. First off: yummy. Second less dairy always a good thing. Ya can't go wrong with porridge.

Speaking of dairy I do like the occasional bowl of yogurt for breakfast. Activia brand is my fave. I notice that thicker Greek yogurts are sweeping the nation, and rightly so, they are pretty tasty, much thicker. We occasionally have some plain Greek yogurt with granola on top for dessert.

Finn Crisp brand crispbread with some cheese; or more usually peanut or almond butter and a pear or other fruit is a terrific breakfast. Finn Crisp has a ton of fiber.

I had gone cold turkey and stopped drinking coffee for far too long, then I started drinking about 1/3 cup coffee with hot water which satisfied the urge. For the last month I've gone cold turkey off coffee. I hate to say it, but I don't think it does my body any good. Will occasionally indulge but not the end of the world without it.
Turk the cat
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 10 Nov 2013, 16:44

Thanks for the responses! Great stuff. ..
Almond milk sounds great. Is it in the UK supermarkets or do you need to go to a health shop for it?
Aside from that and soya are there other milk alternatives? I'm looking into milk alternatives right now.
Turk - Your original muesli mix sounds fantastic. I might just have to experiment with something like that too.
I Also love greek yogurt and pour it into a bowl and add chopped fruits and sprinkle flax or a few bran flakes over the top. Really yummy too.
:thanx:
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Turk the cat » 10 Nov 2013, 17:18

Ever the Optimist, I'm your Canadian Cousin so don't know about almond milk availability in your neck of the woods. Most likely yes. I never much cared for soy milk, haven't had it in the past year but bet I'd be more of a fan now. ROTFL

There is now readily available, on grocery store shelves, so many options, including hemp milk which I haven't tried yet. One thing w/almond milk is go for "original" flavour which is usually less, er, almondy. There is also now a brand that mixes almond and regular dairy milk for people testing the waters.

I am using almond milk on regular cereal as well. But you'll have to pry my cold, dead hands off my 2% milk for my cup of tea. Har, now that I've said that I bet I'll start using almond milk in my tea...really wouldn't hurt to try, but we do use regular milk around the house for some cooking needs.
Turk the cat
Salt Bather

Postby rio » 10 Nov 2013, 17:33

First a lot of water and some our local magnesium rich mineral water called Donat (it is so rich in magnesium that more than half a liter can cause diarrhea) For breakfast I eat fruit, usually two ripe bananas, and/or other fruit depending on season and if I have enough carrots or apples i press some fresh juice. Sometimes, but not often I drink kefir or yoghurt - I love dairy products, but I do not tolerate them well and I usually regret feasting on them. I dont drink coffee, sometimes a little black or green tea. I would like to eat oat porridge, but I am gluten free. I noticed that any other food makes me more stiff and tired so I stick to the fruit. I am never constipated, on the contrary, I would like to have bulkier stool :scratch:
Disabling burning, drilling pain in anal area for almost a year, started after UT infection. Small anal fissure diagnosed, turned out it is probably not the cause of pain, MRI shows no inflammation or fistula. Grateful to forum members for support.
rio
VIP

Topics: 12

Postby Turk the cat » 10 Nov 2013, 17:46

Bananas! That reminds me I was just reading on the forum about "boiled bananas" (a search brings up 14 hits!) it sounds fab, and could be incorporated into other cooking/baking. Basically ya boil a banana with skin on for about 20 minutes. I'm going to try real soon.
Turk the cat
Salt Bather

Postby Scientist2516 » 10 Nov 2013, 19:36

Hi Rio, take a look at this article about whether oats are or are not gluten free. Some good advice here if you want to eat porridge.
http://www.thekitchn.com/the-oat-conund ... glu-137074
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 11 Nov 2013, 16:00

Ahh Breakfast. I really eat pretty simply nowadays.

I'm pretty straight forward when it come to breakfast
Yes I love my "porridge" too. Topped off with a serving
of yogurt..... MMMM mm!!!

But for the most part it's usually plain old cereal and milk.
something like shredded wheat mixed with a granola type cereal.
This along with a tall glass of juice.

Every now and again I'll throw in a nice sized side dish of scrambled
eggs.

I'm pretty good at not snacking between meals, if I do
I'll generally just grab some 16oz bottle of orange juice
and a small bag of unsalted mixed nuts.

Then, in about an hour or two after breakfast is when
I start taking in my quart and a half of water for the AM.

These type breakfastsess never have and probably never will
give me any problems with my bm's.

Good luck with your researching ETO.

s
w
Deleted User 2950