Breast feeding

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Breast feeding

Postby owmybum » 02 Nov 2012, 07:24

I'm glad things have improved for you. Must have been so depressing having a fissure and a baby to look after.
I have also noticed that my af symptoms get considerably worse a week or so before my period. Thanks for the info!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Sufferingbadly » 12 Apr 2015, 10:03

Hi ulrica!

I'm curious to know what happened when you stopped breastfeeding?
I have a newborn and I'm breastfeeding around the clock. My fissure is deep I'm assuming cos I not my doctor have been able to actually look at it due to the very sensitive skin tag I have on my anus along with the over all pain right there at the opening of my bum. He's given me nifedipine and lidocaine. I take sitz baths and I am on a cleaner diet. No meats, no junk or processed foods. But this diet regiment I just started so it's been a slow process so that I don't developed diarrhea. I have a water bottle that holds 32oz of water and I drink 2 of those a day. Sometimes alittle more. I breastfed my first child for almost 2 Years, I really don't want to have to stop breastfeeding my newborn at only one month :(. Please reply! Thank you!
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Broncosgirl » 12 Apr 2015, 10:26

I was researching this a while ago because I developed a fissude that would not heal about 2 months after my daughters birth. There was a form on here discussing this exact question and it seemed that some of the women who stopped BFing healed and some did not. So, there does not seem to be any real evidence one way or the other. I hope someone does some research on it at some point as it seems so many women develop fissures after a baby but not from childbirth itself.

If breastfeeding is very important to you, I don't know that there is enough evidence of a correlation to stop, but if it is a decision you feel okay with and isn't too upsetting, I would give it a try as it is possible it could make a differance.

By the way, I eneded up having LIS a few weeks ago when my daughter was 4 months and have continued BFing through it all. The fissure is finally healing.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Sufferingbadly » 12 Apr 2015, 10:31

Broncosgirl wrote:I was researching this a while ago because I developed a fissude that would not heal about 2 months after my daughters birth. There was a form on here discussing this exact question and it seemed that some of the women who stopped BFing healed and some did not. So, there does not seem to be any real evidence one way or the other. I hope someone does some research on it at some point as it seems so many women develop fissures after a baby but not from childbirth itself.

If breastfeeding is very important to you, I don't know that there is enough evidence of a correlation to stop, but if it is a decision you feel okay with and isn't too upsetting, I would give it a try as it is possible it could make a differance.

By the way, I eneded up having LIS a few weeks ago when my daughter was 4 months and have continued BFing through it all. The fissure is finally healing.

Thanks for replying! How long did you have your fissure before you did the surgery? And how long ago was your surgery done? Was recovery hard to go through? Thank you.
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Broncosgirl » 12 Apr 2015, 11:45

Hi,
I had my fisdure for 10 weeks before I had surgery. I tried nitro and diltiazem for about 7 weeks with little improvement before I had the surgery done.

I had LIS 2 weeks ago. I was given a propofol which is IV sedation and was about to breastfeed 8 hours after surgery.

Recovery has been easier than I expected. The only real pain was from the fissure still causing pain after BMs but within a week the fissure pain was gone. Currently the only sensation I have is itching as it all heals.

I would say the first 3-5 days it is nice to have a spouse or friend available to watch the baby so you can relax and soak in a tub and such. The first 24 hours someone to watch the baby was necessary coming off the sedation and such. I was sitting to breastfeed the first night (about 12 hours after surgery).
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sufferingbadly » 12 Apr 2015, 12:28

That sounds great! I'm really happy for you and I'm hoping the same type of recovery for me (not from surgery but just from overall trying to heal.) I'm still not 100% if my fissure is chronic or acute. I have an old skin tag, and my CRS didn't acknowledge any new ones, but my "skin tag" hurts and is sensitive to touch and looks irritated (red/pink). I had a BM today. Unfortunately I don't seem to be getting my diet on track cos it came out semi hard and in pellets :( it hurt and was alittle blood but it didn't paralyze me to the bed like it normally does. Unfortunately I know I'll have to go again later cos I can feel that I'm not "emptied". I'm soaking prunes in my water to make it like a prune juice and I'm also eating a couple prunes a day. (I ate a whole bag in 2 days last week and got major diarrhea!) oops! That's actually when my skin tag started hurting. What state do you live in? I'm in California and would prefer to see a surgeon who is recommended by their former success patients.. MAkes me feel less anxious about having just a random surgeon cutting into me, you know?
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Savaici » 12 Apr 2015, 13:37

SuferingBadly,

If you are only drinking under 2 liters of water and breastfeeding, you are not drinking enough. 32 fluid ozs is less than a litre, so two of those is under two liters.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Broncosgirl » 12 Apr 2015, 20:17

Hey, I am not in California so I can't give a specific recommendation. To find my CRS I got a list of providers from my insurance and then looked up reviews of each doctor online. I met with 2 doctors and asked extensive questions of each of them and then decided on the one I felt most comfortable with after that.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion