Breast feeding

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Breast feeding

Postby Ulrica » 22 Jan 2012, 12:34

I had a fissure that began after giving birth and I am still breast feeding and my fissure keeps healing for about 2 weeks at a time but then coming back with a vengence (6 months later).
I was wondering if anyone had any experiences regarding breast feeding and fissures -- would stopping breast feeding heal the fissure?
I am already taking nitroglycerin and my diet is dairy free, caffeine free, spice free, high in fiber, high in water, etc. etc.
Thank you.
Ulrica
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Breast feeding

Postby catniss » 22 Jan 2012, 12:46

Hi Ulrica,
I currently have a fissure from childbirth and I'm still breastfeeding...my fissure I *believe* seems to be healed at the moment. I haven't had any pain at all even with or after a BM in the past 4 days, and the week before that it was getting less painful every day. I know I still have a good 6-7 weeks or so to be fully healed, so I plan on continuing my diet and routine til then- but I didn't really notice any effect from breastfeeding. It may be coming back because it isn't fully healed but since you don't have pain you go back to your usual routine too soon? I've heard it takes almost a full 2 months to be totally healed so I would see if you could get it down again and take it easy til 2 months is up? Hopefully we can all get rid of our little friends! Good luck Image
catniss
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby Sue1962 » 22 Jan 2012, 13:58

Breastfeeding is very dehydrating!! You really need to up the fluid intake so you don't get dehydrated. If your dehydrated your stools are dryer than theys should be.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Ulrica » 22 Jan 2012, 23:43

I'm drinking 4L of water a day (16 cups) -- do you think it is enough? I haven't switched my routine after healing ... excpt maybe feeling slightly more positive about life after healing! Only to be brought back to pain :(
I don't know why it keeps coming back. I read somewhere that nursing hormones might aggrevate it ... just wondered if anyone else had stopped breastfeeding and also lost the fissure ...
Ulrica
Fibre Addict

Postby grannymaria » 24 Jan 2012, 15:33

Oh my :*( with a baby and all - plz take care sweetie.. and do drink a bit more liquids for your sake and your baby.. Also the eating of soft foods and avoiding red meat..
Have you talked to your ob doc?
Ur in my prayers Ulrica.. take care.. Image
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Ulrica » 25 Jan 2012, 22:20

I thought I would follow up that the GP I saw today did not think breastfeeding was relevant to a fissure. she thought giving birth (and being pregnant) might be the problem though
I've upped my water a lot (6L) ... thanks for the advice everyone. I do feel like I have more milk now ... hopefully it will help in other ways ... not yet, unfortunately!!!
Ulrica
Fibre Addict

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 31 Jan 2012, 13:16

I've read on another site a few anecdotal stories from women that healed when baby was weaned. I'm breastfeeding too, but I don't plan on stopping on the hope that fissure will heal, I don't think it helps everyone. I'll try everything else first!
Good luck!
I say a Hail Mary when I poo.
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Postby NancyAsleep » 23 Apr 2012, 00:00

Hi Ulrica
Are you still b/feeding?
NancyAsleep
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Ulrica » 13 Oct 2012, 23:47

Yes, but I am still fissured. I am stopping tomorrow.
I will let you know what happens.
Apparently low estrogen levels (from breastfeeding) can contribute to skin weakening. So it's worth a shot.
Ulrica
Fibre Addict

Postby Ulrica » 02 Nov 2012, 00:18

Me again. I think stopping breastfeeding helped me (have had no pain since then), but it's only been two weeks so I don't want to be too optimistic.
I also recall women on this board having "problems" each month during their periods. Well, when you have your period you also have lower estrogen levels, like when you breastfeed.
Will check in again later on about my progress.
Ulrica
Fibre Addict

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion