Calling out to our resident MOM expert....

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Calling out to our resident MOM expert....

Postby Guest » 01 Mar 2008, 11:55

Hey Lecia,
I know you advocate the use of MOM. I have recently started and it REALLY saved me from retearing my fissure...right on the brink of disaster.
Do you use MOM every day? How is using MOM any different from taking a high level of magnesium everyday, like so do? I ask, because I'd love to use this more often if there is no problem with it.
Thanks!
PS: I hope you are doing well. Your pictures always make it look like you haven't missed a beat. :D

Re: Calling out to our resident MOM expert....

Postby Guest » 01 Mar 2008, 12:08

Yes, I love MOM! Almost as much as I love my Mom.
I take it every day and I do take magnesium supplements as well. I don't know if there is a difference between taking mag supplements and the MOM so I am not sure if there is a cumulative effect or if there is potential for overdosing. But for me, I have pain every day for the last 5 years so I have had to make some choices that maybe a normal person wouldn't make. I think the MOM works faster then the mag supplements.

I guess my pictures are deceiving then. Now, many of them are old so don't think I am just taking photos of myself everyday or anything. I am 7 weeks out from the hemorrhoid surgery and have a fissure from it that I am trying to heal. The doctor gave me nefidipine but it just burned so bad I had to wash it off. I knew the recovery would be difficult but I guess I was just optimistic that I would bounce back faster than I am. But the doctor said I am not a total outlier that it can take some people months to get over it. They just don't tell you this before the surgery.

Postby Guest » 01 Mar 2008, 13:16

Thanks for the info!
That really stinks...I'm sorry to hear this. When this all first started for me, I read on healthboards.com about the experience other people had with hemorrhoid surgery and most of them said it took months before they were back to normal. The upside is that all said they would do it again and are very happy with the results.
Keep healing!

Postby juney » 03 Mar 2008, 10:44

i consider myself an MOM expert too :) i'm probably the biggest proponent of it on the board! Hehe. it has literally saved me when even surgeries didn't work.
i started out taking 2 tablespoons every night before bed, but in the last few weeks i've taken it down to 1. i've recently been experimenting with just 1/2 a tablespoon. it keeps thing completely soft and painless. my dr (as well as other people's doctors, and things i've read on the internet) say it can be used long-term with no adverse effects. i plan to stick with it as long as i need to.
i'm not sure how it interacts with or compares to other magnesium supplements. for me, MOM is enough to keep things soft. i also take 1 100-mg stool softener every day, but i'm not sure if that makes a difference at all.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Jen » 03 Mar 2008, 22:48

So is it safe to use MOM everyday? I don't know...I am a newbie. I heard you shouldn't use laxatives everyday.
Which is more painful hemmie surgery or LIS?
My hubby told his mom what was wrong with me (thats ok...I love my mom in law). She said my father in law had this years ago, and now it all makes sence! I always see him taking MOM! :D
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Guest » 04 Mar 2008, 09:40

Mom is safe to use everyday. It is not a stimulant laxative so it doesn't make you go, it just helps you go. If I have to, I'll take if the rest of my life.

Well, I haven't had LIS, but it seems from everyone's experience here that hemorrhoid surgery is more painful. i am 7 weeks out and am in pain most of the day.

Postby Fissulyna » 04 Mar 2008, 14:11

Lecia, you are too modest XOXO !!! Hemorrhoid surgery is FAR more painful than LIS and needs much longer time to heal.
I didn't have hemorrhoid surgery, but I read I lot of articles about procedure and a lot of testimonials - and it just can't be compared, nor in pain nor in recuperation rate nor in possible complications.
You are an "iron lady" Image , I know you don't see yourself us such , :loveheart: , BUT YOU ARE Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 04 Mar 2008, 14:59

You're so sweet! I wish I were as sweet as you!

Postby Jen » 04 Mar 2008, 15:59

Lecia - You poor thing! I hope you feel better! I am sorry have have to go through this! Image
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Guest » 04 Mar 2008, 16:11

Thanks, Jen. I feel for you too. I can't imagine what you are going through being alone with a child and butt problems. When does your husband get back? Did you know we had one member on here that had a fissure while stationed in Iraq who posted here. Can you imagine how terrible that would be?
Do you go the base clinic or a private practice?