Calling out to our resident MOM expert....

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Calling out to our resident MOM expert....

Postby Jen » 04 Mar 2008, 18:12

Oh! How terrible to be in Iraq with a fissure! I feel so bad for them!
My hubby gets back in a month! Yeah! I go to the base hospital normally, but I was referred off base to a private practice to see a CRS. I also got referred off base to see a GI doc. This is where I got the colonoscopy and possible hepatitis exposure from the dirty equiptment. I decided to call a lawyer this week.
I only had hemorrhoids after my son's delivery. This is also when I got my first fissure. I really don't remember how internal hemmies feel because I had a fissure at the same time. Right now, it feels like a dull periodic burn in my bum. I wouldn't even say its painful...I may not even notice it if I didn't pay that much attention to the area. Do you think this is internal hemmies? Or maybe my fissure healing?
Get well soon! It must be hard to take care of your kids while in pain!
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Guest » 05 Mar 2008, 09:25

You are too kind. I feel for you! My goodness I don't know how you go to school full time, deal with this and take care of your toddler. My kids are at least old enough (5 and 10) that I don't have to pick them up or change diapers and all of that. Do you have anyone that could come out and help you the next month? Maybe if you can you can wait until your husband gets back from Iraq to have the surgery? There just doesn't seem like a win win siuation here.

How close are you to finishing nursing school? Is deferrment an option? I started nursing school and had to defer a year and they held my spot for me.

Yeah, pregnancy can really make your bottom look like a war zone. I had hemorrhoids so bad that last month I had to stay in bed and they were going to induce me just to relieve the pressure. Then they never went away. Internal hemmies should not hurt unless they start to fall out and get strangulated so you probably do have a fissure.
When I was in the CRS office there was another patient there who tore herself from her vagina all the way down to her rectum. I felt so bad for her.

I think your pain is from the fissure. Have you doctor said anything about your internal hemmies at all? Everyone has them but it depends on what grade they are or how engorged they are before they become a problem.

Hope you are doing okay. Hang in there. Wish I could babysit for you. :babycrawl:

Postby juney » 05 Mar 2008, 10:27

Lecia - just out of curiousity, because i HOPE to have kids one day, does pregnancy affect everyone like that?? it sounds like HELL and i think i'd rather just adopt if that's the case. my mom swears she had no problems whatsoever, and she's never had hemmorhoids. she had a c-section with me and my brother, maybe that's why. With all my fissure problems at 25, i'm scared i'll never even be able to consider having my own kids...especially with the fissure not healing after almost 2 years. sometimes it makes me really sad to think about never having that normal family life.
so i guess to all the ladies on here - were your pregnancies really that bad?
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 05 Mar 2008, 10:59

Oh, no! I don't mean to worry you. Pregnancy can cause pelvic issues but if they were as bad as what I went through no one would have more than one baby. My first pregnancy was a breeze. Who would have guessed the second one would have been so different.

Just keep yourself from getting constipated, don't strain, don't stand on your feet all day. And though not without its own complications you can always have a c-section. I would send you a book about childbirth and pelvic health but I think it would just cause you undue worry. This was just a harder pregnancy because I was moving, carrying boxes, not taking it easy and had a difficult birth. Plus my tailbone is bent from falling down the stairs and landing on my tailbone between pregnancies which altered my pelvis making this next delivery more difficult.

I dont mean to scare you and I hope that you won't let my problems keep you from having children if that is what you want!

Postby Fissulyna » 05 Mar 2008, 14:29

Juney , it is so individual that it is almost impossible to predict how would somebody's body react to pregnancy and delivery. I had easy pregnancies but long and hard deliveries , 21 and 23 hours of ACTIVE labor. My second baby was almost 9 pounds !!! BUT, with all of that I never had problems with my butt or got constipated or got hemmies.
You , on the other side, already have problems : (((, and I completely understand your concern. If you are prone to constipation the pregnancy will not change it. If you already have hemmies - the pregnancy , I think, will make them worse, definitely during "pushing " stage of the delivery. You might insist on C-section, you have valid reason ! If you really think you would not be able to go through all of that or don't want to risk getting into worse shape than you are already in - you can opt for finding surrogate mother. That way you will have your biological child without going through all the hustle of pregnancy and labor !!!
All the best @: )
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby juney » 05 Mar 2008, 14:56

i think i'll definitely have a c-section if i ever want kids. with 2 LIS surgeries under my belt, i'm sure they'd understand my concern...even just for incontinence issues.
this fissure has severely affected my life in so many ways. it's hard not to get depressed sometimes when i see so many people around me being normal and carefree.
juney
King Fissure

Postby Jen » 05 Mar 2008, 16:04

juney,
I think you will be fine. However, I think a C-section will be nessesary. My CRS says that women can do vaginal births after LIS, don't I am not going to do that. I got my fissure from constipation after childbirth. My CRS says your hormones are crazy, and thats when women usually get the hemmies and fissures. I really want abother baby. I am going to wait until I am healed.
Lecia,
What happened to the lady that tore her vaginal area down to her bum? Did she get a colectomy?
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby motherluch » 05 Mar 2008, 16:25

Listen,
You girls are young and have your entire life ahead of you...if I were you I would find myself a really great, kind, and compassionate ob/gyn, who I am sure has had patients that have had hemorrhoids and/or fissures and hopefully they will be able to guide you in the right direction. I had my son after knowing I had hemmies, and yes, they got worse, but would I do it all again?? ABSOLUTELY! There are plenty of options for you to treat hemmies and even fissures, I hate to see you thinking of not having a child because of this, I certainly understand 100% all of your worries and fears, but please, just ask around to everyone you know who has had a baby what they think of their ob/gyn and go see them and talk about this to get their opinion...my guess is it will all work out!
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby Guest » 05 Mar 2008, 22:50

Hey Guys, I am a newbie....what is LIS. I have heard it on this forum many times, but my dr never told me of any alternatives....he just asked if i was ready to be very unhappy for 8 weeks of my life...I said yes. also, as for having babies. I got my first hemmroid 20 years ago while i was preg with my first. I had a c-section, but that was after 16 hours of labor. I had 2 more children via c-section. the second was after 10 hours of labor, then the third was a c-section due to the previous ones. Only in the 3rd preg was i ever constipated....which made my hemrroids worse. So, my point is... a c-section is not an elective....and it also does not prevent hemrroids. I feel very unfortunate like some of the comments above, and very jealous of other people who dont HAVE to eat prunes every day and drink water ALOT. BUT, I am very thankful for this forum, you all make me feel better and not alone. Thank You.

Postby juney » 06 Mar 2008, 10:24

LIS is lateral internal sphincterotomy.

Garrett - even with my lack of personal experience, i think that c-sections are becoming more and more "elective". a lot of people are able to schedule a c-section...especially those with pre-condtions making natural birth more difficult or dangerous. i weighed 10 lbs at birth and my brother weighed 12. we were too large for my mother to safely give birth naturally. her drs scheduled her c-sections and she didn't feel a single labor pain. i'm pretty confident my experience will be the same, should i ever decide to have kids. not to mention, with my history, i'm quite positive i could "elect" to have a c-section.

so now i guess i've convinced myself it will be okay if i ever decide to get pregnant.
juney
King Fissure