Can u get a fissure again after surgery

recurring fissures

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Can u get a fissure again after surgery

Postby Pokey » 17 Nov 2015, 13:03

I had surgery for a fissure back about 2003. It worked well. No incontinence and relief of pain was perfect. Now 12 years later I am having painful bowel movements again despite a pretty good diet. My question here is can these damn things come back this long after surgery that was successful? I have had to docs exam me and both could find nothing wrong but I'm not convinced of that each morning I sit on the throne. Sometimes it hurts a little sometimes a lot. Today it has that feeling I remember when I had a fissure that raw little tear feeling. Are there folks here who have had these wretched things occur again even after surgery ?

Pokey.
Pokey
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Re: Can u get a fissure again after surgery

Postby Fissurefrustration » 17 Nov 2015, 14:29

Yes sadly this is possible however the design of the surgery allows them to heal faster than before as sphincter tone is reduced.

Hope you get relief soon
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56

Postby Pokey » 17 Nov 2015, 15:07

Thanks for the response...............OHHH fantastic!!! do some people ever have a 2nd surgery for them? Since this has started bugging me again Ive tried the nifedipine cream which helps so so. I wonder why they dont make nifedipine suppositories in this country for fissures as using a dab on a finger is not very effective plus it gets greasy ointment where you don't want it. I came across a compounding Rx in Canada that makes the Rectal Rocket suppositories for this. Any experience here with them? I do the fiber thing, drink a fair amount of H2O, eat a good diet, gentle pulsing warm H2O up the hatch. All help a little, but never makes the problem go completely away. I have IBS too which I think contributes. Maybe a frank discussion with my PCP is in store at this time.
Pokey
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Postby msimon » 17 Nov 2015, 23:39

Actually Pokey, the fissure ointments do not need to be inserted and, in fact, it would probably do more harm than good inserting something up there. The skin around the anus is highly absorptive and the ointment need only be dabbed on to effectively relax the sphincter. I know, I hated that gooey feeling down there. I would get mine compounded into a gel or cream as it was less greasy. It does take time to work, often up to 8 weeks of twice daily use. Hope you feel better real soon.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64