coconut oil

I was told using coconut oil fissures can be healed

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: coconut oil

Postby LemonMan » 01 Nov 2016, 17:21

So Medihoney is supposed to work wonders at healing sores, or open wounds. It's the same as Manuka Honey, only it's clinically sterile and supplied to the medical industry to help heal wounds. Standard Manuka Honey can contain other bacteria apparently that Medihoney doesn't.

I need to do some more research on this, but one of the reasons (it's been suggested) that some fissures don't heal is because of bacteria. It's not uncommon for open wounds on other parts of the body to get infected with bacteria too, and clearly there is a lot of bacteria in the anal canal. There has been some research, but no real clinical trials that I have found yet, but quite a bit of anecdotal evidence suggesting it works for some.

Medihoney contains an antibacterial ingredient derived from "Leptospermum" - This is the flower the bees get the nectar from AKA the "Manuka plant".

Anyhow some people on this forum have said this has healed them, so worth a go!

LemonMan
Aug 14: Anal Abscess diagnosed
Dec 15: Anterior Anal Fissure diagnosed
Jan 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of Jan
Apr 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of May
Sep 16: Fissure back. Started Anoheal again
May 17: Botox and banding - fingers crossed
LemonMan
VIP

Topics: 4

Postby erbear » 01 Nov 2016, 17:53

Please please let me know if it works. I just ordered natural oils H-Fissures and superbalm yesterday so I'm willing to try anything natural. I will follow up with you here so keep an eye on this post or I can PM you. Good luck.

I looked on their website, and I don't think I am able to order it unless I am a Health Care provider. I also didn't see any anal fissure reviews on their website so I contacted their customer service. How are you ordering it?
erbear
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby LemonMan » 02 Nov 2016, 13:13

Hi Erbear,

Not sure where you are, but in the UK it is readily available. Below is what I purchased, but you can also get a gel version as well (I got mine from Amazon though).

http://www.landyschemist.com/comvita-me ... GwodkjcEYg

Only been using it two days, so too soon to tell at the moment. Will post my experience with it on Sunday.

Best, LemonMan
LemonMan
VIP

Postby LemonMan » 05 Nov 2016, 16:37

Hi erbear, et al

So have been trying Medihoney for a few days, and have also been reading up on Manuka Honey in general as an aid to healing ulcers etc. I have to say I am a lot more convinced that there are some actual benefits than coconut oil, and the following article I found particularly useful:

http://www.woundsresearch.com/article/h ... d-dressing

Having said that my feeling is Medihoney/Manuka honey is an aid to healing and not an means to an end in itself. Whilst some research suggests that it can help speed up healing by up to 25%, and also kick-start wounds that have not healed, I think there is probably the need for an underlying blood flow to help the process to work. For this you are probably going to need Diltiazem or GTN.

Having said that it is also an anti-bacterial agent, and anti-inflammatory agent, and for me it seemed to take the edge of pain *slightly*

There seem to be two general types, the raw honey type, and the "gel" type - I have decided to stick with the gel type as it is less gritty in texture. The gel isn't really a gel, but more of a soft wax type feel, but it is easier to apply I thought.

There have been a few people who I have read on the forum that say they have been healed by Manuka honey, but I think they are in the minority, and you have to weigh that up against if they would have healed on their own anyway I guess.

Anyway - that's my take. It's helped me formulate my own plan at least, which I will be putting in my diary page.

Best, LemonMan
LemonMan
VIP

Postby erbear » 05 Nov 2016, 17:24

Thank you!!! I am reading the article now and I do see it works largely with blood flow as well. I will also read your diary page to follow up and see as well! Is that on this website? I do think we run the risk of all medication that some just healed because they are further along in the process of their fissure. I do want to try out different options and with this research I feel more in control. Are you concerned with not many reviews for anal use but more for open wounds and dressing changes?
erbear
Salt Bather

Postby LemonMan » 05 Nov 2016, 17:45

Hi - Yes my diary is here: the-lemonman-s-diary-t10588.html
Lot's of ramblings haha

The problem with anal fissures is there is a woeful lack of real research - for a number of reasons I guess. As you'll see in my diary I plan to use medihoney in conjunction with Anoheal (Diltiazem). I think the key is to monitor yourself carefully and use common sense. I don't have any real concerns with medihoney for anal use. There are plenty of people who have tried it here, and there are no scare stories that I have heard. I'd recommend the sterile version though. Honey off the shelf apparently can have bacterial spores in it.

LemonMan
LemonMan
VIP

Postby erbear » 05 Nov 2016, 18:11

Yes! I just found your diary and read it. It is actually a good idea to post weekly, I might even start my own for therapeutic reasons. I ordered medihoney and my doctor is out until the 17th of November and I will discuss getting more Diltz when she comes back. I am also leaning towards the surgery but slowly. I don't know if I can fully take that step. I just want to give you an extra thanks for actually sending me articles and taking the extra time to actually present me with research. That has been the most helpful for me more than anything. I literally read people doof a million different things to try, and no one has ever tried to help me teach myself. Much thanks!!!
erbear
Salt Bather