Complications from Surgery.... Help!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Complications from Surgery.... Help!

Postby Guest » 17 Jun 2008, 10:08

I had LIS surgery on May 23 after a year and half of terrible rectal spasms caused by my fissure. I researched the surgery throughly and I was impressed with the overall percentage of complete healing and the healing rate. My surgery was 3 and half weeks ago and I am experiencing bleeding (not much but still blood) after I have a BM and pain after my BM for at least an hour... I am losing hope... I didnt think this was normal. I have been relaxing and eating healthly. Has anyone experienced this? I am dying for relief. And the thing is- I leave to go to Mexico in a week and half on a 6 week mission trip.... I am really hoping I am better by June 26.... any suggestions or anything? Thank you.

Re: Complications from Surgery.... Help!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 17 Jun 2008, 10:18

Abby, the main question is, are the spasms gone?
The LIS stops the spasming but the fissure still requires 4-8 weeks to heal after the surgery. Any pain that is coming directly from the fissure itself may linger until complete healing.
Don't overdo the fiber but continue to eat healthy, no junk food! Get your RDA for water. Continue using a stool softener if you are already using one, if not, you need one.
So, there is no need to give up hope, yet, it is too soon after your surgery, but it is sad that you're still having so much BM pain.
I hope it gets better quickly!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 17 Jun 2008, 11:23

Hi Abby-

Have you been back for a post-op yet? You might want to call your doctor and have him take a look - and for peace of mind.

I had my 3rd surgery on the 12th - and my doc wanted to see me in 2-3 weeks to check things out.

I hope that we can both recover quickly and we can get on with our lives! You don't need to be worrying about any of this if you're leaving for Mexico for 6 weeks...Yikes!!

Feel better!

Nancy

Postby Jen » 17 Jun 2008, 23:24

Abby,
Sorry for your suffering. I have also had my fissure for a year and a half so I can relate. However, I have not had LIS. LIS is not a cure - the fissure still needs to heal on its own. The LIS is just aiding the healing process, so I would imagine some blood & pain may be normal for some folks.
It sounds like you need a follow up with your doctor, even if it is just for piece of mind. Has the pain improved at all after surgery?
I wish you all the best. :)
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Guest » 18 Jun 2008, 07:34

Welcome to the forum. I know it is discouraging when you aren't farther along than you think you should be at this point. Doctors aren't always fair in their estimation at how long it will take to recover most erroring on the shorter side. Like the others said, the fissure is still there after surgery but now you have less pressure so that healing can occur.

Hang in there. I know it is hard when you have a deadline hanging over your head.

Postby Jo » 18 Jun 2008, 08:19

Welcome Abby,
It gets hard when you have butt pain all of the time! Healing from surgery can go slower than we want. I haven't had LIS surgery but did have hemmie surgery which caused my fissure. The fissure took months to heal though (it still is healing!), with the help of an ointment prescribed to reduce the anal pressure. For me the spasms were the worst.
Hoping every week gets better and better, sometimes it is hard to judge the day to day changes.
You are in my prayers for a quick healing so you can go on the mission trip.
Jo
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Guest » 18 Jun 2008, 09:40

Thank you so much for the replies. I believe the spasms are gone, just a lingering sting and dull pain all day long along with the slight bleeding after BM. But the wierd thing is- the doc told me after the surgery that my fissure was healed so he left that alone, the main reason for the LIS was the terrible spasms I been having.
So my question is- does the incision bleed? because if not than that means my fissure opened up again.
Also I have another question- i am worried that if I stay on stool softners for an extended amount of time that my body will become completely dependent on it to have a soft BM. Do i run the risk of this? Is it ok to use stool softners for a long time?
I've tried to call my doctor for the past two days but he has never called me back. Just to let him know whats going on to see if i can get a checkup before I leave for out of the country.
Thank you again. I really appreciate all of you.

Postby Guest » 18 Jun 2008, 09:52

Hey Abby,
Maybe the pain you are having is from the incision and not the fissure? I didn't have LIS but I have had two other rectal surgeries and it hurt like that because it was cut. Yes, the incision can bleed. And it can stop and then start again if you have a rough bm.

Stool softeners are fine to take long term. It is just the stimulant laxatives that can cause dependency. I have taken stool softeners on and off for 5 1/2 years.

I am a little worried about you leaving the country with this going on. I don't want to be a nervous nellie here but if you aren't comfortable at home then being in a place with fewer accomodations will make it harder for self-care. At least see the doctor before you go.

Take care!

Postby buttgirl » 18 Jun 2008, 21:07

I'm with Lecia on that one...stool softeners might definitely help keep things from being too hard and scratchy on the way out.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Jo » 19 Jun 2008, 05:27

Definitely keep up with the stool softner if it is helping. My Dr. is very conservative and told me I could take them for years. They didn't work for me though, so now I am taking miralax. The miralax works great for me.
I agree that the cut from the LIS would be sore and bleed from what I've read. Those who have had it could tell you more.
Best of luck to you.
Jo
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?