Cost of Surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Cost of Surgery

Postby Guest » 07 Jul 2007, 09:33

Although I'm not very active in this forum I want you all to know how helplful it is for me.
I had yet another set back over the holiday so, after 5 months of suffering I'm strongly considering surgery. However, since I don't have health insurance, I was wondering about the cost.
Thanks!

Re: Cost of Surgery

Postby Deleted User 5 » 07 Jul 2007, 09:43

If it is outpatient day surgery, it may not be too astronomical.
I was kept overnight which of course made the cost for me pretty darn high, but I had insurance.
The only way to know is to ask your surgeon, though there may be someone on the board who has an idea...
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 07 Jul 2007, 09:53

I don't know but given it is an outpatient and typically general anaesthesia doesn't have to be used it shouldn't be ridiculously high. Many doctors and surgical centers will work with you on a payment plan.

Postby Guest » 07 Jul 2007, 12:43

Hello,

I would like to offer some help. Just ask these questions so that you can get a good idea up front. Ask what the cost is for the surgeon, also what will the cost be for the facility and if any anaesthesia is used what the cost is for that. I do insurance billing and alot of people have no idea what they will be out of pocket for surgery and all 3 of these are billed seperately usually.. But ask your surgeon because he might be able to do it right out of his office. Self pay patients are usually charged a little less. Lecia is right alot of people will work out payment plans. Maybe if you offer something up front it might show them you are will to work with them. Just thought you might like to know this. If you are in that much pain I would go for it. It would be worth the monthly payment fo a little while.

BBG
Patty

Postby happyass » 07 Jul 2007, 16:34

a colonoscopy done outpatient with twilight sedation will set you back about $4700.
a fissurectomy/LIS, i don't know......
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 08 Jul 2007, 12:29

Thanks everyone for the responses. I know it's crazy to not have health insurance but, I had a brain tumor a few years ago and now the compainies want to charge me twice as much as normal. It is not fair.
The past few days have been so bad that I am making an appointment to see a surgeon tomorrow. I want my life back. I have been so positive that I could do all the right things to heal this on my own but, now I'm not so sure.

Postby Guest » 08 Jul 2007, 12:46

I am so sorry to hear about your brain tumor. Gosh that must have been a struggle to get through. That is awful that you can't get afforadable coverage. Something has to change in this country with our health care system.
I am sorry also to hear about your setback. That is discouraging. I think that is a good step to see the surgeon and you can be upfront and tell him your situation.
Good luck with everything-we are rooting for you! Looks like you have a good doggie friend there. What a cutie!

Postby Guest » 08 Jul 2007, 12:47

Hello,

Good luck assplosion! Let us know what your surgeons says.

Patty..

Postby happyass » 08 Jul 2007, 13:43

hugs assplosion!
here's to your healing......
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 08 Jul 2007, 16:06

Mine cost about $7500....I did it as a one day surgery. I had to pay $75 as part of my copay.