Day o post fistulotomy

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Day o post fistulotomy

Postby James » 22 Feb 2022, 16:58

Hi guys,

I just got home after fistulotomy and was advised to attend dressing change daily at the hospital but as I got home i checked the wound and notice my anus is packed with gauze; my question is what do I do if I need to go to the loo or fart?
Thanks aloty in advance for all your responses. This forum is better than hospitals.
James
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Day o post fistulotomy

Postby PNW » 26 Feb 2022, 15:16

James, you probably already know by now. For me, I took the packing out the first day and just tucked some gauze between the cheeks for several days afterward. I never had any bleeding, just a faint red drainage, then it stopped. I continued to have clear drainage for several weeks afterward. I did wear a liner in my shorts for a few weeks.

I never had any pain or bleeding and didn't need to take narcotics (so no constipation).

I wish you well. I'm almost 8 weeks out and mostly back to normal. Still some slight drainage after BM and have to clean up afterwards. Taking a shower after really helps.

I posted a daily complete synopsis of my experience.

Regards.
PNW
Fibre Addict

Postby James » 27 Feb 2022, 06:47

Thank you PNW for your reply. The packing came out next day. I was advised to keep area clean with sitz bath but no other instructions. I saw some info on the net. which says that the wound needs to be kept open on the external opening by wound Digitation - putting a finger in the track daily to prevent early closure. The issue is the wound is becoming painful if I try to keep it open by force and I am worried it can become infected. I have also seen some people in this forum saying they were told to prevent the wound from developing white gue - epitelial cells so that it heals from inside. It is very confusing as we want the wound to heal but we don't let it heal so as to prevent recurrence.

Were you advised about sitting as I sit alot and I am worried that this may not be good if I want the wound exit to stay open.
I also used gauze initially between cheecks but a nurse told me to stop because it's removing healthy tissue and use only pad to protect clothes.

Thanks PNW , I appreciate your help. Peace.
James
Fibre Addict

Postby PNW » 27 Feb 2022, 07:05

James, mine was "superficial" doc told me incision was one inch (2.5 cm) long, half in half out. With no involvement of external, "minimal" involvement of internal muscle. I had no instructions to pack wound to keep it open. I stopped using any gauze after a couple days once the red tinged drainage stopped.

I was able to take two weeks off from work and I sat in recliner a lot. I took sitz bath after every bathroom visit. Did not use TP for a long time, using showerhead then sitz to keep clean. Transitioned to folded TP wetted with witchhazel. Back to normal TP routine after three weeks.

After fissure surgery in 2014, sitting was painful, not so this time.

I never looked at wound, never had pain or bleeding. My surgeon said 2% chance of recurrence.

Everyone is different, I wish you the best.
PNW
Fibre Addict

Postby James » 27 Feb 2022, 09:30

Thanks PNW for sharing your experience.
James
Fibre Addict