2 weeks post-op from fistulotomy and cutting seton

Fistulotomy with cutting seton

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

2 weeks post-op from fistulotomy and cutting seton

Postby Sebrown426 » 30 Sep 2015, 19:34

Hello! I am two weeks post-op my fistulotomy with cutting seton. My general surgeon thought it was superficial and would be an easy fistulotomy but when he opened it up, it was too high and so he had to use a cutting seton. I have been in pretty bad pain, the past couple of days have been better. I go back next week for my first tightening. Has anyone ever had this? How painful is it? My surgeon said it isn't going to feel good..... Also, I have a bunch of puss that is stinky, is that normal? My surgery was mid September and he thinks we will have to tighten the seton 2-3 times (normally it's 6 times but mine was smaller). I have a vacation to Hawaii in January, will I be healed by then? Any tips on pain relief, or anyone have a cutting seton that they can tell me their story? I feel kinda lost and alone with what is going on and hope to hear from someone- thank you so much!!!
Sebrown426

Topics: 1

Re: 2 weeks post-op from fistulotomy and cutting seton

Postby Savaici » 30 Sep 2015, 19:45

:wel: :smilyhug: Glad you found us, and sorry that you've been in a lot of pain. I have not had this surgery, but until someone comes along who has, just wanted to let you know that you're not alone and we know what surgery or pain to rear ends feels like :affraid:

There are a few posts with the specific heading of Cutting Seton, and will give you these below. Also have a look through the sub-forum for fistula surgery and the one for fistula success stories! Most people who have the surgery do very well. By the way, I believe a mild smell and the blood are all part of the healing, but if it starts to hurt more absolutely do call your surgeon as you don't want it to become infected. Make sure you keep all as clean as possible (use a Sitz Bath or a shower head to spray) but don't rub anything! Using wet sterile dressings are good and just dab them. We are here for you and hope the links help a bit.

search.php?keywords=Cutting+seton&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Sebrown426 » 30 Sep 2015, 20:07

Thank you for the reply, just having someone say hello is reassuring haha!
Sebrown426

Postby Savaici » 01 Oct 2015, 07:52

:D Added a couple of extra sentences above, Sebrown, so just check it out!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby AngelaD » 12 Oct 2015, 18:59

I am 9 days passed having a fistula debriment and cutting seton placed. I generally tolerate pain well (no pain meds from having the horseshoe perirectal abscess drained), but I have a lot of soreness since the seton placement. Anyone know if this is the norm or if it gets better?
AngelaD

Postby reelak » 21 Feb 2016, 06:05

I had a fistulotomy a month ago and a cutting seton placed near sphincter for a second fistula. The fistula that was cut open is healing nicely (takes time) but the cutting seton is so painful. I have been able to work most of the last month. My job is a rural mail carrier, which requires lifting and driving, with a lot of in and out of the car and twisting to do the job. Frog legged on bed or easy chair is about the only comfort I get. The pain meds help but constipate. So I try to limit them.
I had the cutting seton tightened last Monday (1 week ago) for the first time, and it kept me in bed most of the week - very painful. The seton is deep inside so they put me under general anesthesia to do the tightening.
I had recurring perianal and perirectal abcesses and surgeries once or twice a year since 2009. They could never find the other end of fistula, or they formed later - but finally found the larger one last August 2015 and am hoping this cures it.
Sitting is the worst, but urination hurts each time for a few days. The initial surgery kept me bed bound a full week with gradual getting around the next 2 weeks (both fistulotomy and cutting seton at same time).
Tightening the cutting seton, it looks like I will lose 3 - 5 days work each go.
This really sucks as I am the only source of income (my wife has disabling epilepsy which has not responded to medication or implant).
My surgeon thinks I will avoid incontinence (phew) but expects this to take several more tightenings to cut thru.
I'm glad to find this forum - this is about the worst thing I could imagine and the pain is for real - constant, almost as bad as the abcess pain but with eventual relief with meds.
reelak

Postby Bottyburn » 27 Feb 2016, 14:43

Sorry to hear about your problems Sebrown, I'm expecting a seton in a little over a week.

This may be a totally ignorant question but there's little shame left... Do all second cut and do they all require tightening?
Bottyburn

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here