2016 Diary High Complex Fistula with Cutting Seton

My journey to end of the lifht

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

2016 Diary High Complex Fistula with Cutting Seton

Postby HealMe » 13 Feb 2016, 07:07

Hi All

peter here, 40 male.

It started with a small pimple like ourburst on my left cheek near the groin. At first i did not mind it. It could have been there mid-2014 as a very small lump.

By early 2015, i have observed it has been growing and started releasing discharges on and off.

Around July to Aug 2015, it grew bigger and opened itself as an open wound or abnormal tract that keeps on discharging mixed of things eg. Pus, potential stool, causing huge amount of hassle since it soils your underwear more and can potentially become a pants spot. Nightmare for this to happen in a man.

My first consultation is a general doctor. He has an idea what it is, but is not familiar with the term. He advised me to take a week of antibiotic first and come back if it improved. I took the meds for 2 weeks but did not change anything. I did not return as well since i feel he is not well versed on it.
HealMe
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: 2016 Diary High Complex Fistula with Cutting Seton

Postby Savaici » 13 Feb 2016, 12:31

From your post about a complex fistula with a cutting seton, I see you have more to write about this! Good luck and :wel: to our Forum.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby HealMe » 13 Feb 2016, 14:29

Ty savaici..

Part 2..

I consulted a couple of doctors further in search of better understanding. I originally thought what i have is a form of a std on skin but proven not. I agree with many that internet is a scary place to start with.

Nov 2015 -Doctor 1 surgeon during my consultation first confirmed i have fistula in ano. He gave a high level description on the disease. He did a visual inspection on me. It was clear that surgery is required to address my case.

The cost of surgery didnt fit my healthcare insurance so i need to wait further to manage my funds.

Plus since it is confirmed by him it is a fistula in ano, my research online become more specific and clear. Still, i feel nervous on what im seeing on the internet, the operations graphical images, horror stories etc.

But i am convinced that i cannot live my life in bandages and stained underwears forever. I need to face this and apply a long term or permanent fix.

What also doubted on the doctor 1 is he did not explain the prework required to have a better success rate of the surgery. Ive tried to book again a follow up but the schedule did not match.

I decided to have the surgery after new year so i can enjoy the holidays better. I think this is a good decision.

Jan 2016

I found a new doctor who is full time in a hospital and sked an appointment. He is a laparoscopic surgeon and when he saw my fistula he said it has 2-3 tracts outside.

We had a good discussion on his plans, he proposed a pelvic mri and endo anal ultrasound, plus lab tests for blood.

I find this positive since this will help him to better map out whats going on.
HealMe
Fibre Addict

Postby HealMe » 13 Feb 2016, 14:31

Savaici wrote:From your post about a complex fistula with a cutting seton, I see you have more to write about this! Good luck and :wel: to our Forum.

I will surely post an update on my post to help share my journey
HealMe
Fibre Addict

Postby HealMe » 13 Feb 2016, 23:42

Part 3..

Appreciate any posts on my thread thats inspirational since its pretty gloomy today.

The prework is pretty doable, yet it creates a lot of anxiety, scary feelings, what ifs since this is my first major surgery in my entire life.

On the other hand, I am pretty convinced this is a fight I need to do before it becomes out of hand.

I was originally booked on Feb 4, but it seems im not ready that day and requires a calmer state of mind, despite my surgeon is ready.

Feb 05, 2016
went to the hospital early am to do final endo anal ultrasound. I guess doing it near your surgery will help the surgeon real time and up to date since tracks are sometimes moving, i assume.

As a first timer, its pretty scary, ive felt coldness and numbness in the OR prep.

Luckily my anesthesiologist is a nice doctor that talks me through on the process. Of course i could never agree more, they are the experts.

Operation is summarized as follows
EUA
Proctosigmoidoscopy
Seton placement
Debridement of fistula tract

After maybe 1-2 hours operations, i woke up after 2 hrs with half of my body numb or still unable to move.

Thank God I am alive and survived it, and nothing untowards happened.

I was discharged that day, able to walk and talk but a bit dizzy and groggy. I was able to buy my own meds in the drugstore accompanied by my companion. I would like to feel normal, but I guess I will find out on the next recovery days.
HealMe
Fibre Addict

Postby HealMe » 18 Feb 2016, 04:51

POST OPS

Day 1 - Feb 05
Anesthesia in effect.
I felt weak, my body just wants to lie down. Very hungry during dinner.
Sleepy as well maybe because of the medicines.

Day 2 - Feb 06
Anesthesia still in effect, remember to do BM very soft, almost liquid like. But starting to feel very uncomfortable and gross comparing how do i do normal as before. Was able to walk and sit in a safe position.

Day 3 - Feb 07
Still consuming a lot of antibiotic, stool softener and pain reliever. Groggy, but most of the time sleepy and just want to lie down. Getting a BM is becoming a nightmare to me. I dont want to eat anymore fearing ill do BM later.

Day 4 - Feb 08
Sleeping is now difficult because you need to learn a specific side or angle, if not, ull wake up in deep pain potentially ripping ur stitches within by force. You dont want to experience this.

Day 5-7
Pretty much routine. Doing BM is the challenge here. And cleaning up yourself.

Day 8 - Feb 11
Checkup visit with my laparascopic surgeon. I consulted all pains involved and ask for a walk thru again what transpired on the procedure.
He did some biopsy on the removed fistula or portion of it, and its negative on chron or Tb. Thank God!

He inspected me and adjusted the seton a bit since its potentially loose already.

That night, I experienced a lightning pain during BM as if a blade is parting me inside. This has been the most difficult night of the post ops. I have usual high tolerance for pain but this one is consuming me, its a pulsating pain underneath. And this happens during the BM and pain wont subside even after BM, it takes 2-3 hours before it regulates.
HealMe
Fibre Addict

Postby Lirpa123 » 12 Jan 2017, 18:07

Hi, I'm new to these boards after searching for others who have had a cutting seton for anal fistula. My procedure was a couple of days ago and whilst it is quite painful, to be expected initially, I'm wondering will the pain subside, or how long until you felt 'back to normal' (well as normal as possible if like me you have crohn's!). I'm interested particularly in pain during bowel movements?
Lirpa123

Return to Diaries