LIS 9-Dec-2016

having LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS 9-Dec-2016

Postby Misty789 » 09 Feb 2017, 09:03

Update. I've had 3 more small fissures and bleeding. Each time they heal, and then another one.
Overall, the situation is better than it was prior to LIS, that is less pain and less bleeding, but still it's not as I thought it would be...
Misty789
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby paine » 10 Feb 2017, 09:49

Hi misty. So sorry to hear you had fissures again. May i ask if you still experience spasm with your new fissures after lis? Im 2 weeks post op now and having terrible spasms. Thank you.
paine
Salt Bather

Postby Misty789 » 11 Feb 2017, 22:03

Hi Paine,
Congrats on the LIS. I hope it works for you. As for spasms, I did not have them before or after, much. I've read that a lot of people have them with fissures, but not so much for me. I just had horrible pain that lasted for over 12 hours after a bm, and I could not sit on my bum at all, just one cheek or another.
Sorry I'm not much help on the spasms.
Misty789
Salt Bather

Postby paine » 12 Feb 2017, 00:20

Hi misty glad you did not have spasms. Too terrible to have those
paine
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 12 Feb 2017, 10:11

Hi misty sorry to hear your suffering with fissures but my CRS said LIS can't stop new fissures just helps them to heal quicker and reduces spasms strength. I would maybe call your CRS to see if they advise another LIS.
Paine, I was having horrendous spasms 2-4 weeks after my LIS it was as bad as the first months of my fissure...I was in agony for 12-24 hours after a BM and stopped eating and threatened to starve myself until they gave me a colostomy...but I got gabapentin as a pain killer and that made a huge difference it was the only pain killer that has ever touched my spasms. The spasms slowed down after the 4th week and by week 6 I was only getting them when my crohns or IBS started and I was going multiple times. I'm sure your spasms will slow down eventually I just think some of us are more sensitive down there and our nerves are more switched on....do try the gabapentin though
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby paine » 12 Feb 2017, 20:20

Oh mpb thanks for the reply. I am 2.5 weeks post op and im really looking forward to no spasm day. You are giving me hope this will eventually go away.
I will try to contact my crs about gabapentin. She got me arcoxia from last check up and im on it for 7 days. If that doesnt work ill try gabapentin if available here in my country. Have tried arcoxia for 2 days and so far i think i need to see at least 3 days for the effect. Though i should say i like ibuprofen over it.
paine
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 13 Feb 2017, 07:39

Hi Paine,
Trust me it will get better....I was in a really dark place at the 3 week mark I truly believed it wasn't going to stop as most people who have the LIS their spasms stop pretty much straight away.
You will get to the point where you have no spasms it just takes time....keep your spirits up...I know that's hard sometimes and keep up with the pain killers as I firmly believe that I was very much in a pain/spasm cycle and finding a pain killer that worked really helped my recovery and has also given me peace of mind that if my crohns flares I can take something to stop the spasms.
Really good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20