Surgery scheduled for Dec. 5

So scared

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Surgery scheduled for Dec. 5

Postby Seekingacure » 30 Nov 2018, 21:07

Hi everyone! I’m a 33 year old female. I’ve had my fissure for about 5 weeks now. I’ve tried nifedipine, recticare and lidocaine urojet my doctor gave me. I also have tried coconut oil with my sitz baths and sitz baths alone. I’ve been taking miralax and Benefiber. Nothing seems to help. Only thing that helps is if I avoid eating so I don’t need to have a bowel movement for awhile. Today I was in the worst pain ever and missed work. I called my doctor (colorectal surgeon who I saw a few days ago) and he has me scheduled for surgery on Wednesday December 5. I’m so scared about the side effects after surgery. I’ve talked to a few people after surgery and they haven’t had any incontinence. Just wanted to get your experiences after surgery. I don’t know how much longer I can go on with this pain. I’m thankful to have an understanding family and boyfriend. I’m too embarsssed to tell my coworkers anything about what procedure I’m having done.
Seekingacure

Topics: 1

Re: Surgery scheduled for Dec. 5

Postby Paininthebutt2018 » 01 Dec 2018, 22:04

I had a fissurectomy 11/26/18. I assume you are having LIS not sure. Although I have been all over these boards since my pain started. I haven't seen one post of incontinence. I think some have leakage but just a bit on a pad and usually for a few weeks. My CRS doesnt believe in doing LIS and I was desperate so I just did it. I have to say if you have those bad spasms after a BM then you may get immediate relief from LIS but the majority of ppl still have them after surgery. I still have them and thought I was dying the first week. I've cried lots of tears from this and I'm still having bad days. I'm 15 days post op and I would guess me being about 50% healed. I have a good day and think yes I'm going to get through this then the next day it feels like I'm back to day 1. I'm not trying to scare you but please mentally prepare. There are some lucky ppl who have posted that they were better in a few days and back to work within a week or two. I wish you the best of luck.
Paininthebutt2018
Fibre Addict

Postby Seekingacure » 02 Dec 2018, 03:20

Yeah it’s LIS but he only cuts a few fibers he said he doesn’t go in the middle of the muscle like some surgeons do and has published articles so I hope things get better! I wish you a speedy recovery!
Seekingacure

Postby TomatoSoup » 04 Dec 2018, 14:32

Check out my LIS recovery diary. I'm 36 and had LIS in august. I might be a rarity but I never needed a pain pill after surgery the whole time. I was just a bit sore but honestly it was a super easy recovery. Just saying, don't assume the worst. I was one of those people who went to a bbq 4 days post op and back to work (able to work standing up if I wanted) 6 days post op.

I'm still having issues with random bleeding about once a week when I have a BM so I don't know what the issue is. I wish I could say I was in the clear. But hopefully it'll ease your mind to note that I've had: No pain, no incontinence.

Everyone has leakage for weeks after while the incision is still open. I'd recommend buying adult diapers on amazon. They're very thin so no one will notice. I wore those for about a month. Best of luck!
TomatoSoup
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Seekingacure » 07 Dec 2018, 19:10

LIS went well! First day wasn’t painful. Just a little stinging after the medicine wore off. First bowel movement I had was the morning after surgery (yesterday) was painful but each bowel movement is getting less painful! I can bend down and sit without being in severe pain! My surgeon also did fissurectomy because he said I had a nasty fissure. I have a few skin tags which don’t bother me so he did not remove them. He said I have hemorrhoids too which I can get banded sometime in the future. Overall I’m very satisfied with the surgery and I recommend it to anyone with painful fissures who have tried everything but still find no relief. I have no symptoms of incontinence and the small leakage I had was just a few drops of blood. Hope this gives people being scared of LIS to consider it!
Seekingacure

Postby trillo » 16 Apr 2019, 04:47

How are all of you doing post-op, now that a few months have passed?
trillo
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3