LIS 9-Dec-2016

having LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS 9-Dec-2016

Postby Misty789 » 12 Dec 2016, 23:48

Thanks Mypoorbutt and Chachacha, for your encouragement. I am trying to hang on and wait and see, as I have no other options.

Last night woke at 1 am with pain at the incision site. After about 2 hours, felt the need to have a bm, but this was a very difficult experience. The poop (sorry for the graphic details) just got stuck half way and would not budge. I pushed and it just would not go. I think I strained too much, and I felt immence pain and there was blood from the incision, I think. It did not work and the poop just slid back up. I called the doctor on call to ask what to do. He did not know and told me to wait till the morning, and the office will call back, or go to the ER. There was no way I could sit in the car, so that option was out.

I had some Dulcolax so I took 2 of these, with a glass of water and in a few minutes, I was able to poo (probably from the glass of water, as Dulcolax did not have time to kick in yet). After cleaning up, I took some pain meds and fell asleep.

In the morning, I felt not bad. The pain was minimal, so I was pretty upbeat. Then the Dulcolax kicked in about 4 PM and I had a runny bm. Well, that was horrid. I did not strain or bleed, but the pain afterwards was as bad on day 1. And there are 2 hemmorrhoids that are very blue and hard. I can't believe that this soft and runny bm hurt for the rest of the day, and even with pain meds, continued to hurt. It is now late, and I am still icing my butt and taking more pain meds.. :(

Chachacha, it's really nice that you stayed on this forum so long after your LIS. Thanks for staying around. Mypoorbutt, thanks for all your notes as well, as you write your experience.
Misty789
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Mypoorbutt » 13 Dec 2016, 05:02

Hi misty,
That's strange as my poop did that to me too and I ended up fishing it out with my hands. I would never be brave enough to take a laxative though.
I think one reason the runny BMs hurt is they are by nature more acidic and also they leave more residue inside any cuts surgical or fissure and that is why they burn more, my CRS confirmed this yesterday as I was asking why my pain went back up to a ten.
It's really great news that your pain was minimal as it does show you are healing....I bet by the end of this week you won't be having any more pain like this. These first few day are horrendous but your nearly past them now. Just got to try and work on getting decent BMs as it's this that can cause the pain to return.
Keep going misty your actually doing great on day 4/5 I was convinced mine had not worked and I was doomed to be in proper agony forever. Mine is managing to heal even with my stupid bowel so I'm sure yours will too even quicker. Try some colodial silver for your hems it does shrink them and is a natural antibacterial. Worked wonders on mine after I had to dig around to get the poop out lol
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby chachacha » 13 Dec 2016, 09:18

This forum was a life saver for me, so I stuck around to help others where I could. Like mpb though, I've never had to worry about keeping my movements soft (had horrendous diarrhea for two years before the LIS), so don't take products like Miralax or stool softeners, and also have never had to alter my diet in any way.

And mpb is also right about the runny bm's: They are more acidic and they also seep into the wound and stay there. I always felt that that's where most of my pain came from, because since the wound was out of sight (and reach), you couldn't wash it as you would a cut anywhere else on your body, and the wound had to just get rid of it slowly (VERY slowly), on its own.

I am one whose first bm's fell right out after LIS though, and many others have had the same experience. Everyone seems to be different on that front though.

Good luck and keep hanging in there - you're still very early on in the process.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Misty789 » 14 Dec 2016, 20:47

Thanks Mypoorbutt and chachacha,

Well, today is day 5 after LIS. The whole day yesterday, I was either uncomfortable (after taking pain meds) or in pain (before taking pain meds). The pain changed from the day prior. . . focused on the incision site. The whole left butt cheek, where the incision is, was hurting, and the pain went up into the rectum.
I took Percocet for the night and went to bed, hoping to get some sleep. Not to be. At about 12 AM I let out some gas, and this instantly started the pain at the LIS site. I've never had pain with just gas before. I was up the rest of the night, trying heating pads, ice pads, hot bath, pain meds... you name it. I took a look down there, to see what was going on, and the bruising is clearing up, so that is good, but the incision site, which I can clearly see now, is red and swollen, and is oozing a bit of blood in clear yellow liquid. It is also very painful to the touch. Don't see any puss at this point.

Today, after a bm (Bristol 2, so a bit hard), the anus was throbbing and very sore and the incision bled a bit, but the 3 old fissures were unchanged, in their healing stages. I got into the shower and used the shower handle on my bum for a long while, to clean up and relax the sphincter. That made it feel better. Then it took about 4 hours to feel better some, which actually is an improvement from pre-LIS, where I would be in pain for at least 8 hrs after a bm. Another improvement is that I did not get any new fissures. I used to have one or more bleeding with every bm for over 2 years, with little time in between.

I spent the day laying in bed or on the couch. I have not yet tried sitting, even the though of sitting scares me. I did walk a bit around the living room.

Overall, I don't feel I am improving. Just at this point, I feel like I traded one set of problems for another.

Now I'm getting ready for bed, as I've not had a full night's sleep since surgery. :verysad:
Misty789
Salt Bather

Postby Misty789 » 16 Dec 2016, 21:47

Here we go, for posterity for those who read after...

Today is 1 weeks post LIS. Over the last 2 days things have been improving. Last night, I slept longer and better. I am able to walk around the house without too much discomfort for 15 minutes, after that I feel a heaviness feeling in the anal area, hard to explain. It's not pain, but it tells me it'ts time to lie down. I am able to lie on my back today. I am not using any pain meds today and am ok with that.

The fissures are healing well. No new fissures. I am still taking stuff to make my stool soft, don't know how long I have to keep doing that. There is some stretching and discomfort at the incision site with bm, but it's very tolerable.

The new thing is occasional itching. It's not bad and gets better if I rinse under a shower handle. Not too bothered by this.

There was some discharge this morning, a bit of blood on underwear. Must have happened overnight. Don't see any active bleeding.

The problem I am having now is this - since all the stool softeners I'm using, the stool is soft. But I can't seem to evacuate it all. I always feel there is more left in the rectum, but I don't feel an urge to go. This is very annoying. I'm afraid to stop the stool softeners, and I'm not too happy with this full feeling all the time. Hmm...

I'm glad the first week is over!!!
Misty789
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 17 Dec 2016, 04:23

Hi Misty,
That's so great you are really improving lots Hun after the first week I was still getting spasms at level 10. So you are really making progress. It's good that you can now lie on your back and I'm sure it won't be long until you can sit...it might not be overly comfortable at first but that will improve too.
You really do sound like you have turned a corner and a well into healing, brilliant that your not having any pain with a BM anymore. I'm sure the full feeling will sort itself out lots of people mention it after LIS I think Jim had it for about 3 weeks maybe it's swelling further up.
Look how far you have come this first week...no pain meds, pain free BMs, no new fissures. That is amazing progress and great to hear for you and anyone considering LIS. I'm very pleased for you x
Mypoorbutt

Postby Misty789 » 22 Dec 2016, 20:58

Thanks MPB, for rooting for me, and for your support.

Well, it's one day shy of 2 weeks since the surgery. I can sit for short bouts, without discomfort. I feel no discomfort at all, from the area. I am off stool softners and am eating a regular diet. I'm not taking pain meds. I have some discomfort with bm, and a bit of blood, a tiny amount of pink on tissue. It feels great not to be in pain!

I still have psychological fear when I go to the bathroom to have a bm. I feel panic and almost a cold sweat. Oh, so much fear. The experience of having a fissure for over 3 years has developed this post-traumatic experience for me. I hope with time this will wear off....

If this is how it is, after surgery, then I wish I had done it long ago!

I'm incredibly thankful for this site, and for MPB and Chachaca for your support. Thanks!!!
Misty789
Salt Bather

Postby chachacha » 22 Dec 2016, 21:11

It sounds like things are going really well for you - I'm so terribly happy for you!

:actiongirl:
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Mypoorbutt » 23 Dec 2016, 03:42

Yay misty so very pleased for you that sounds amazing not even having to be on stool softener or in any pain post BM that really is great x
:Rock:
Mypoorbutt

Postby Misty789 » 25 Jan 2017, 07:50

Update. It's been 6 weeks post LIS, and guess what... a new fissure. Posterior. Very shallow and a little bleeding. Does not hurt except when having a bm. It's been 3 days with this fissure. Soooo dissapointed :(

Not sure if I should call my doc and have a talk or wait and see what happens with it....
Misty789
Salt Bather