Describe normal recovery!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Describe normal recovery!

Postby Guest » 18 Apr 2007, 17:19

I have visited the CRS. He wants to make a medical attempt to cure this fissure before resorting to surgery. He prescribed diltiazem to be applied 2 times daily, valium every 8 hours for spasm, and1-2 ultram every six hours for pain.
I have applied the med. as directed .
Sat was pretty good after a painful BM
Sun was good after a painful BM
Mon was painful most all day with 3 painful BMs, but I was able to work all day.
Tues , a painful BM but the day got better and by late afternoon no pain.
Wed. , a painful BM and spasmed all day 2d painful BM at 6:15 pm.
My question is how normal is this in terms of a recovery? Are am I recovering?
Should I take the valium every morning whether I am in spasm or not? I have not been.
I have not had any bleeding since before last FRi. when I went to see the CRS.
Is the continued pain with the BMs normal?
Please help with your thoughts on these matters!!

Re: Describe normal recovery!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 18 Apr 2007, 17:50

My question is how normal is this in terms of a recovery? Are am I recovering?
If you've only been on the cream for a few days, it is normal. Ups and downs at first!
Should I take the valium every morning whether I am in spasm or not? I have not been.
Probably but that's really a question for your doctor...what does the bottle indicate?
Is the continued pain with the BMs normal?
YES! Although NOTHING is "normal"... I have yet to see two people who had the exact same symptoms. For instance, I rarely had any real pain with my fissure during BMs...just later on the spasms kicked in for about 1/2 day....If i had a very small BM then I would have one or two light spasms. That was rare.
To give you the cold, hard, truth, what you have is a MONSTER and it's "probably" not going to be a quick easy recovery (if the cream works.)
I hate to be pessimistic (really, I'm not) just realistic so you don't get false hope. You sound like you have it seriously, and that means you will have a difficult road ahead in the next week or two, at least!
hang in there!
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 18 Apr 2007, 17:54

If I can arrange it would it be advisable for me to take off work for the next week?
The valium bottle just says take every 8 hours for spasm when I awaken in the am I am not in spasm. I wonder if i should, however, take the valium prior to the BM as a prophylactic measure?

Postby Guest » 18 Apr 2007, 18:04

Hey WA,
I wish I could give you a normal outline of recovery but since I have been on here since January I have not seen anyone that has had a straightfoward recovery. There are ups and down because it won't be a straight linear recovery. You may do fine for a few days and have a really bad day after you think you are doing much better.
I think you are doing well. I know it doesn't sound like it to you but you have improved in the last week. I would take the valium maybe when you get up before going to the bathroom and then 8 hours later. Even if you don't feel the spasm it could still be there and you want it to be relaxed as possible. I would also see about using the cream more often. As long as it doesn't interfere with your other meds.
If you can I would take some time off so you can devote it to salt baths and not doing anything to irritate it. Maybe you can work from home a bit or do a few half days.
This healing will take time and I guess you need to just tell remind yourself of that. That is great you aren't bleeding. Sounds like the fissure isn't active so you aren't rupturing it again and again.
I feel for you and wish I could make it go faster for you but it sounds like you are on the right track.
Don't give up hope!
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 18 Apr 2007, 18:12

Yes, I would definately take it before the BM. I would also use the cream about an hour before the BM, too, for the same reason. It won't stop the spasm, but see if you notice the duration or intensity reduce when you do that.
As for taking off work, how much time have you built up? You may need some down the road if you *do* have surgery, it's a two-three week recovery.
What if you take a week off, and the cream doesn't heal you? The success rate is about 50-67%, sounds like good odds but it didn't work for me. BUT it did lessen my misery, so it was truely worth it for that!
If you have lots of time built up -- then it *may* be useful to take a week off. But if you do take a week off, then you REALLY should use that time to rest, rest, rest. No fixing roofs on the barn. Really give the fissure a break. Eat lighter meals so you'll have smaller BMs. Lie down a lot (or at least don't sit on the fissure during that week, if at all possible. In other words, do everything you can during that week to heal your fissure. A break from stress may make a big difference. But we had a poster here once who said that trying to figure out a fissure was like trying to do a Rubik's Cube. Its a real enigma, trying to heal it on its own...
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 18 Apr 2007, 19:16

Your advice is so appreciated.
I have 20 years seniority, I typically take two weeks vacation and have only taken 1week of sick time two years ago for gallbladder surgery. I have the authority to take pretty much whatever time I deem necessary. I have a staff of 12 and I am sure they can handle things, but I just hate taking time off. HOWEVER, if it will get this thing behind me I will do it-- gladly.
What do you think? AND thanks again!!

Postby Guest » 18 Apr 2007, 19:37

Well, since you have the position and seniority to do what you must I figure it is worth the try. You should give the cream and the fissure a fair shot at healing so you know whether it is working for you before considering surgery and that requires some babying of it.
I would also pray about it too and see how God guides you in this.
lecia