Do you let your fissure take over your life?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Do you let your fissure take over your life?

Postby Kreaybutt » 16 May 2013, 18:30

I'd like to see how it effects others...
When my af first appeared 5 months ago I was so depressed. I wouldn't eat, I wouldn't leave the house, I would take Vicodin and sleep when I could (I had a one month old and the only thing that could make me feel ok was holding and nursing her.) It finally healed and I saw life in a whole new way, much more grateful for the small things. BUT one thing I wish my doctor would have told me was that I needed to change my diet and that a re-tear was possible if I didn't. I went back to low water intake, junk food and sweets day and night and sure enough this little poop is back!
Anyways, this time around I feel much stronger (though on some days I still get sad, mad, frustrated..but I don't let it take over my days. Im 24, just celebrated my one year annivarsay and have my new baby girl, how could i not stay positive. :) I still enjoy my meals, I go out with my daughter every day and enjoy every moment (except the second I realize I have to go to the bathroom!) Being positive really helps! I try not to ask myself "why me?" Anymore.
Mine came after giving birth to my daughter. If you're a mother than you know what I mean when I say that my first post birth BM was HUGE and scary! I should have named that too along with my baby.
Well my vent is over, just wanted to share a little bit of what's going on over here. Feel free to share too!
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Re: Do you let your fissure take over your life?

Postby Mommyof3 » 16 May 2013, 19:20

Hey!
I think are girls are about the same age. Mine just turned 6 months old :) She is my 3rd and I never in my life would have thought I would have all the problems I have had down there! Mine started mid Feb. I am doing better than in the beginning that's for sure, but still not all better! I will be good for a couple days now, then have a bad day and bleed. Then I feel like I have to start all over! Hate it! So yes it is taking over my life...hubby is really sick of hearing about it I am sure!!
Mommyof3
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby becsbum » 16 May 2013, 19:28

I do feel like I let it take over, but I think that is because I feel it mostly when standing or sitting (as opposed to pooping). So that is lots of my day! I am going to start a thread because I am curious how many people also feel it at these other times. If it wasn't for that I would be in good shape - I had LIS and don't have pain with BMs. Still not sure if LiS worked - I was healed but then re-tore a few weeks ago and still not right.
becsbum
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Kreaybutt » 16 May 2013, 19:46

Mommyof3 I feel so bad for hubby, I'm sure he's so tired of hearing about my butt problems :( lol he's very understanding though. I know all about the good days and bad days.. The anxiety is the worst in the morning!
Becsbum- what exactly is LIS? Do you take sitz baths and such? I was getting spasms during the day and those are the worse. Sometimes i get them in the morning before I even have a BM! So annoying. Usually massaging it out helps
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Postby becsbum » 16 May 2013, 21:19

LIS is the main surgery for fissures. It clips the muscle so it can't go into spasm any more. Yes the baths are nice. I just don't know if I am having spasms at this point - I didn't think so, but maybe small ones?
becsbum
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby PIA » 17 May 2013, 03:13

Nobody wants to be cursed with a fissure or a retear. But I am so much more grateful for the pain free moments in my life now. My diet has become the best it has ever been which has been wonderful for my overall health. I have so much more empathy for others and have made a promise to my self to hound my CRS, and GP and local Hospital to be sure to offer more advice as to the risks of poor diet and constipation and to offer more information to fellow AF sufferers as to how to manage, heal and prevent recurrances. I hate to think how many other people are suffering at home without the wonderful support of places such as this forum. Image xx Pia
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby suzyljank » 17 May 2013, 04:45

Hi, I don't think anyone let's a fissure take over their life deliberately. I think the pain and the fear of pain is what grabs control. Once that cycle starts pain and fear kind of sneak up on you. I've read that even when people having surgery and are getting better, it takes a while to realize their pain is gone. I believe once you've experienced this agony you'll always be aware of what goes on in the bum region of your body. It's sad how this condition can turn your life upside down and even sadder that most people who have never experienced this kind of pain don't understand. Here's hoping we all heal and enjoy life again. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Savaici » 17 May 2013, 11:49

I don't let it 'take over my life' per se, but I have adjusted to living with pain, as for me I would not have a life at all if I did not.
There are things I can do and things that I can do no longer. I cannot eat what I would like to as in the past. I can't go for long walks. I cannot easily travel. So I would say this has definitely restricted my life. I fought it in the beginning, and now I simply take each day as it comes...and the days are not always good ones.
Just my few cents worth. Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Luka » 18 May 2013, 00:32

I try not to let the fissure take over my life. When I have the least amount of pain, I enjoy and really appreciate the life I have. I go out more when I feel better and take day trips places to relax my mind. It's much harder on days when I feel the worst, though. But I'm getting better, albeit very slowly. Time will heal all wounds, at least that's what I'm hoping and praying for in my case and in everyone on this board.
I admit sometimes it's hard to eat really healthy (especially when looking for places to eat when I'm not at home... it can be really difficult with all the junk food out there and cruddy fast food restaurants). But I am eating a lot healthier since I developed this issue and since I got diagnosed with acid reflux. I think I'm getting a lot more nutrients than before and my mental state has improved a bit. Prozac helps, but I've been on that since middle school and it's not a cure-all for depression (not mine, at least). It just makes things easier when I'm having a bad time.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby owmybum » 18 May 2013, 01:49

I try not to let it rule my life... But certain things have had to change.
My diet for one.. The routine I have around bms.... The anti anxiety tabs I am now on, and mirilax.
I have had my fissure for two years now.. Some times are much better than others, I just roll with the good.. And struggle on through the bad. I try and do what I would normally do.... Even got through a two week holiday to Florida doing all the parks and things.
I also have a family to run around after... With my youngest being autistic...he needs me so I can't give myself to the fissure!!!
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !