Draining seton - lots of blood and mucus!

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Draining seton - lots of blood and mucus!

Postby Botoxgirl » 24 Nov 2019, 17:20

Is there anyone out there who has had a draining seton put in (following partial fistulotomy) who can comment on how much blood/mucus drainage is normal?

I had my surgery and seton fitted nearly 4 months ago and it still drains a huge amount every day - the surgeon said after a month or so it would be much less than before the surgery, but it’s always been a lot more. About a month ago, I had increased drainage along with feeling very under the weather and a mild temperature - went to the GP who prescribed strong abx for an infection but it turned out no infection (at least not from the fistula) and the abx made me feel quite ill.

Fast forward to now and the drainage is more than ever - including a lot of blood - filling a dressing with a triple layer of gauze in a few hours - and quite painful. Is this normal? Any advice appreciated...!
Botoxgirl
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Draining seton - lots of blood and mucus!

Postby chachacha » 24 Nov 2019, 18:50

I think that you should contact your surgeon as soon as possible. I'm certainly not a medical professional, but what you describe (especially based on what you were told to expect), does not sound at all normal to me.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19