Eating cake while suffering an AF?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Eating cake while suffering an AF?

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 24 Aug 2009, 01:09

Just wondering how you folks do with cake with an AF. Does it make the stools softer, harder, etc.?
I have a 3-layer chocolate truffle cake that I'm just dying to have a piece of. But I almost never eat cakes (or many sweets in general), so I don't know how it'll "pass."
I'm taking Miralax daily. Will that just turn cake into flat out acid water?!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Re: Eating cake while suffering an AF?

Postby cherylk » 24 Aug 2009, 05:49

I think once you get your digestive system regulated a little of anything will be fine (including occasional cheese). I would try some of it and see what happens. I think you indicated you need to put on some pounds and that would help!! My Mayo GI doc has told me not to micromanage my bowels!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 24 Aug 2009, 10:07

Perfect, thank you Cheryl! Everyone knows I'm a huge LA Lakers fan so they gave me a surprise early birthday cake (the event was supposed to be just my wife's baby shower) with a Lakers motif to it. It's the one shown in my avatar.
We had this same lady make our wedding cakes (coincidenally my groom's cake was also a Lakers theme :)) and she makes the most incredible three layer truffle cake. I was watching other people gobble it up yesterday in completely jealousy and asked my wife to save a piece for me so I can decide whether I want to risk eating it or not. It feels like one of those "laugh now cry later" things to be but fair after weeks of broccoli soup and bran cereal, man I just want to inhale a piece!
How are things going at the Mayo Clinic for you? I'll admit to missing some pieces surrounding the details but I know you were there for a couple things. Any improvement from their expertise versus your local physicians? I have an appointment with Stanford Medical this week, they're ranked pretty high nationally just like Mayo, but it seems like they want to turn my situation into some kind of case study rather than just treat me, so I think I'm going to cancel with them. Hopefully you're making forward progress up there, I've heard good things about Mayo Clinic as far as both research and cutting edge treatment.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Deleted User 5 » 24 Aug 2009, 10:37

Great early birthday cake, and surprise Chen. I had an early birthday party, too, yesterday! Will the coincidences never end!
Happy early birthday to you! Image
Deleted User 5

Postby cherylk » 24 Aug 2009, 13:54

Chen,
I went to Mayos for a two week class in June--pelvic floor retraining--which was beneficial for me. The muscles in my pelvic floor were not working properly, and I think the class helped me out a lot. Did you enjoy the cake?????
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 24 Aug 2009, 14:37

Kim wrote:Great early birthday cake, and surprise Chen. I had an early birthday party, too, yesterday! Will the coincidences never end!
Happy early birthday to you! Image

Haha did your family/friends lure you in with a false pretense and then spring a birthday party on you too :) My first clue was when I saw people arriving for the baby shower, and most of them were carrying two gift bags ... one of my buddies brought a video game with him as a gift, which I thought was weird because hrm isn't the baby a bit young for that? A few hours later they busted out the Lakers cake and that's whenI knew I'd been had Image
Happy early birthday to you, too, Kim, hope you have a good one! In just a few days here Father Time will forcibly remind us of his perpetual passage once again! In past years I'd stuff myself full of pizza, drink a little more alcohol than I should, and have a rowdy time of it, but me thinks this year I will be parked quietly on my couch, drinking vegetable soup ... and *drumroll* maybe getting to eat some truffle chocolate cake! I'll be dreading the consequences for the 24 hours after I do it, but it's a truffle cake, it's got the logo of my favorite player and favorite team on it, oh and did I mention it's a truffle cake ... some things in life are just worth paying the price for :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 24 Aug 2009, 14:46

cherylk wrote:Chen,
I went to Mayos for a two week class in June--pelvic floor retraining--which was beneficial for me. The muscles in my pelvic floor were not working properly, and I think the class helped me out a lot. Did you enjoy the cake?????

Oh nice, so you're back at home in the Midwest (looks like Chicagoland from your other thread) now? A good friend of mine was in Waukegan for a few years (going to Finch medical school), and I used to go to Boston and NYC for business a lot, so I often made Chicago a weekend stopover on my way back from the business trip. I don't know how I could control myself having a fissure with the deep dish pizza you guys have there, that would torment me everytime I saw one :)
Nope, haven't had the cake yet, I've got a slice in the fridge waiting for me at home, though, I've got to see how my BMs go today and whether I can muster the courage to have a slice. I do want to eat some ssoooooooo bad. How's that adage go, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak, well when it comes to truffle cakes, I think my spirt and flesh are both about as weak as can be. At my wife's baby shower last night, we had all kinds of foods, Filipino style sauce with fried and stuffed fish, egg rolls, spring rolls, fried crab wontons, Korean BBQ ribs, all kinds of Chinese and Vietnamese noodles, Thai curries, deep fried lobster and crab, etc., and guess what I ate -- nothing! Image I waited until the party was over and had some broccoli soup with soy beans. So now I've got the cake looking me in the eye, andI think it's high time I give my taste buds at least a tiny bit of pleasure after they've been waiting on the sidelines for so long!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Deleted User 5 » 24 Aug 2009, 14:58

Hey Chen!
My surprise "party" wasn't well planned as my wife had only just found out we wouldn;t be together on my birthday. I just noticed that she and my granddaughter had been gone shopping much longer than it should have taken, and the visiting kids did a poor job of keeping the secret. But it was very nice nonetheless.
I rarely overindulge in alcohol but this year for various reasons I am subject to do just that on my birthday!
Hope you get to enjoy that truffle cake, buddy!
Deleted User 5

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 24 Aug 2009, 16:56

Thanks, Kim, I'll let ya know how it goes. If you see a thread from me tomorrow morning with the subject "AAAAHHHHHHHHH!" then you'll know it didn't work out so well :)
The words "alcohol" and "overindulge" used to apply to me frequently, but since my nagging health issues started in February of this year, I've had about 3 beers total. Not a single one since the fissure started. I'd love to try a beer or maybe a single glass of whiskey sometime (heck a little glass of dessert wine with that truffle cake sounds pretty yummy too!), I can't see that doing much damage to the fissure, but will of course need to wait until I'm off the other drugs like Valium first.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Deleted User 5 » 24 Aug 2009, 18:05

I tend to agree that one beer can't possible hurt -- unless of course you're on other drugs like the valium. Cr@p!
OK, I hope not to see the "aaahhhh!" thread tomorrow.
BTW, I've updated your profile status!
Deleted User 5