Effects of intestial gas after surgery

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Effects of intestial gas after surgery

Postby Guest » 14 Oct 2007, 07:27

Its been 4 weeks since my sphincterectomy and I still am having discomfort. I have been taking metamucil to keep things soft but it is giving me a lot of intestial gas. I'm wondering whether passing gas is aggravating the incision. I don't know whether I am unconsciencely pushing too hard to relieve the gas. I will be having a good day then all of a sudden things get aggravated am I am trying to understand why. Has anyone had a similar experience

Re: Effects of intestial gas after surgery

Postby Guest » 14 Oct 2007, 07:46

Sorry to hear about your discomfort. Did you take Metamucil before your surgery? I am just asking because I wasn't sure if your body was accustomed to it or not. Adding fiber can cause gas. How much fiber do you get a day? Do you drink plenty of water with it?
Peppermint tea can help with the discomfort and I have taken Gas-X at times. I would recommend you taking acidophilis which helps to promote friendly bacteria in the gut to help break down things. It sounds like the Metamucil might be counterproductive. Are you stools hard if you don't take it?
I really like All Bran Buds cereal-it has really had the most singular positive effect in my stools. I eat it with soy milk and stevia.
What about stool softeners?

Postby juney » 14 Oct 2007, 14:43

i agree with lecia, maybe you don't need the metamucil. i also found that i had too much gas if i used fiber supplements on top of an already fiber-packed and healthy diet. my key to keeping things soft is stool softeners, flaxseed oil, omega 3-6-9, and liquid aloe vera.
passing gas can definitely be uncomfortable after surgery. don't push or strain to get it out (same as a bm). if it wants to come out it will eventually. no pushing!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 14 Oct 2007, 18:41

Lecia,
You mentioned taking a fiber supplement with acidophilis as your holy grail, fibercil I think?? Did it give you substantially better results over say, metamucil?
Also, what effect has All Bran buds given you...softer BMs? No pushing BMs? Did it give you major gas?
You really are the supplement guru on the board, you must have tried everything. I appreciate all of your advice...and patience as I know I ask these questions atleast twice. :)

Postby Guest » 14 Oct 2007, 18:48

I love Fibermucil. It is the HG of fiber pills for me. It doesnt cause me gas and it creates the right consistency of bms. It is formed enough that you dont have to overwork your muscles (they sense the need to push automatically) but it is soft enough that it doesnt scrape. I think the acidophilis I think helps prevent the gas and there is just the right amount of soluble vs insoluble fiber. You can get it at www.procaps.com.
I love All Bran Buds because it seems to help regulate my bms. It keeps the tract moving and it helps to make for more effortless bms. It accounts for probably half of my fiber intake a day because I have about 2 servings in my bowl. I drown them with soy milk and let it set for half an hour to soften and add some stevia sweetner. It is my HG.
://:

Postby happyass » 15 Oct 2007, 08:06

johnny, having gas can irritate a fissure and i would assume a freshly operated one after LIS.
i know when i had my fissure and had lots of gas, i made the gas come out....especially when it would build up and not go anywhere; it was a bad feeling to keep it all in there.
so while forcing the wind, i would definitely irritate and cause more pain that a BM would. it was unbearable.
you may want to consider some help in reducing your gas as lecia stated. i also found something natural called 'charcol caps' at CVS, which is our version of walgreens around here.
good luck and definitely don't force the wind out. it will make things much worse.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby buttgirl » 15 Oct 2007, 09:25

Also Beano works great for gas. It contains a digestive enzyme, which helps you stop producing gas.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby dano » 15 Oct 2007, 21:55

hey,i can chime in on this! i used to be a gas station!!just kinda started years ago like all of a sudden and it would come and go?? never paid much attention to it really,but when i got the fissure and started the metamucil i cut the cheese like i was from another planet,then once i got "accustomed" to it,it really helps! i have like 80%less gas than i used to,and certain foods dont give me as much or any gas! its great! ive trien fibercon-benefiber,and i thought i was gonna have to get a butt cheek replacemnt after a week! terrible,metamucil stopped it though. the charcoal caps do work as happyass says,ive used them before
dano
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Guest » 16 Oct 2007, 12:24

I did some research on Charcol Caps on an IBS board and they can easily cause constipation, so just becarful!
Can anyone tell Constipation consumes a LARGE part of my thoughts every day??

Postby happyass » 16 Oct 2007, 16:57

constipation constipation constipation!
hmmm.......that's good to know about the charcol caps causing constipation. i never had a problem with them. but i only used them intermittently.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74