Epsom salts

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Epsom salts

Postby StevePain » 08 Aug 2010, 10:52

I've been taking sitz baths regularly since my surgery but think I could really kickstart the healing process with the aid of epsom salts which is renowned for it's healing properties, so I decided to order some, here are some of the benefits of using epsom salts in the bath:
Epsom Salt improves the body's ability to use insulin, reducing the incidence or severity of diabetes, it flushes toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances. Epsom Salt improves nerve function by regulating electrolytes. Also, calcium is the main conductor for electrical current in the body, and magnesium is necessary to maintain proper calcium levels in the blood. Epsom Salt relieves stress, excess adrenaline and stress are believed to drain magnesium, a natural stress reliever, from the body, magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well being and relaxation, while increasing your magnesium levels, Epsom salt also delivers sulfates, which are extremely difficult to get through food but which readily absorb through the skin, medical research indicates sulfates are needed for the formation of brain tissue, joint proteins and the mucin proteins that line the walls of the digestive tract, sulfates also stimulate the pancreas to generate digestive enzymes and help to detoxify the body's residue of medicines and environmental contaminants..
This is why I'm giving it a whirl..
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Re: Epsom salts

Postby Fissulyna » 08 Aug 2010, 16:08

Yeap - Epsom Salt "rocks" ; )))
I have some with natural lavender oils and such - so aromatherapy is included as well during soaks : )).
Did not have a soak since I healed , though :roll: I got aversion to soaking after all that time "wasted" in the tub for two years LOL My tub is now for quick "under faucet" running water baths Image . What a shame ... since it is jetted and has a "fireplace view" LOL
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 08 Aug 2010, 16:41

I used Epsom Salt when I tried sitz baths early on in my fissure adventure. I can't say I noticed much of a difference from using them personally, but they certainly can't hurt. It's also a good laxative if you ever need yet another one to add to the arsenal haha.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 09 Aug 2010, 01:03

I ordered some of the fine grade salts, 2kg of the stuff lol.. Since I don't plan on giving up the soaks for a long time yet I thought it best to get enough to see me through.
StevePain
King Fissure