Exam under anesthesia tomorrow and panicking

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Exam under anesthesia tomorrow and panicking

Postby Badd825 » 02 Aug 2012, 14:57

Well after 8 months I finally bit the bullet. My journey started with thrombosed hemrrhoids. The clots were removed, and the surgeon said I would not feel better until I had a full hemrrhoidectomy. I'll show him I thought. I never healed. I went to a CRS who said I was very tight and needed Botox or LIS although he did not see a fissure. He saw an external hemrrhoid that he did not think was contributing to my pain. I chose Botox and 4 months later here I am. In the meantime I saw another CRS that diagnosed a fissure and said wait 3 months. Waste of time because I was in pain crying in her office but this didn't seem to concern her. I finally found an excellent CRS. He didn't see a fissure but said this didn't mean it wasn't there. He saw the hemrrhoid and prescribed Valium for spasms and nifidepine. We tried this for almost 2 months. He said I should schedule the exam under anesthesia so he can do a thorough exam. I consented to what ever surgery he deems necessary at this point. I spoke to him earlier this week and he thinks I'm going to end up with hemrrhoidectomy, LIS and a skin tag removed. Needless to say I'm very anxious. Not sure what's being done till after I wake up. Has anyone had all three of these things done at once? I was comforted by all the sucessful LIS stories here but now these additional procedures really have me stressed and worried. Any advice or encouragement is appreciated!
Badd825
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Re: Exam under anesthesia tomorrow and panicking

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 02 Aug 2012, 16:20

Hi Badd825:
Congratulations on your upcoming EUA! I hope you can finally put your pain behind you and start enjoying your life again. I know it's scary (which, by the way, is completely normal), but I think you are making the right decision. If you have only have LIS, and your experience is anything like mine, the recovery will be a breeze. Having surgery was the best decision I ever made because it allowed me to get my life back. The only regret I have is that I waited so long to have surgery. I can't speak personally about a hemorrhoidectomy, as I've never had that procedure, but it sounds like you are in very good hands.
Please let us know how things go.
You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Re: Exam under anesthesia tomorrow and panicking

Postby boodles » 02 Aug 2012, 23:27

I had the LIS and skin tag removal about three weeks ago, and although I am still recovering, I am very happy with the outcome. The before cleansing of the intestines didn't hurt like I thought it would, (I guess I didn't have much in my system), the sigmoidnoscopy they did right before the surgery didn't hurt either, they had already given me something for pain, and the actual surgery was painless, I didn't feel a thing and was chatting with the anestiologist. I did feel the epidural (I think that's what it was). Ouch! The only time the pain was bad was after the anestesia wore off, it wore off kind of suddenly, but they quickly gave me some pain meds and after that I never had that degree of pain.
So I think I did quite well, and the recuperation was not as bad as I thought either. I didn't really eat much, applesauce, squash, mashed potatoes and apple juice for the first two days. I also peed standing up in the shower. (sorry if that's gross, I was afraid to sit down on the toilet!) I had a bm about the 3rd day, didn't hurt but itched like everything! It's important to keep the area clean, I used a little spray nozzle that attaches to our shower to be able to clean the area.
Let us know how it goes for you! Wish you the best!
boodles
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4