Fat Intake

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Fat Intake

Postby Guest » 17 Jan 2008, 19:28

With all of this fiber-conscious, healthy eating that I'm doing, I realized that I've unintentionally almost completely wiped out my fat intake. Some fats are necessary...what do you all do to ensure that you have enough?

Re: Fat Intake

Postby mlsohm » 17 Jan 2008, 21:12

Hello and welcome. I use olive oil, flax seed oil on my salads, fish oil caps, and cod liver oil for vit. D. I also grind flax seed every day and put it on my buckwheat and oatmeal cereal in the morning and mix it with yogurt in the evening for my fiber. So far so good. ML PS. That way I get my omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.
mlsohm
Salt Bather

Postby buttgirl » 18 Jan 2008, 11:07

Yep. I too take supplementary fats--omega 3 and evening primrose--and I use a little extra olive oil in my cooking.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Fissulyna » 18 Jan 2008, 17:42

MLSOHM , how do you grind flax seed ???
Thanks in advance : ) !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby mlsohm » 18 Jan 2008, 21:27

Fissulyna, I use a little electric coffee grinder. I buy my flax seed from the organic section of HyVee which is a chain of grocery stores here in the midwest. I buy a 20 lb sack and put it in the freezer and take out about a pint and then grind a tablespoon each time I use it. Only grind what I use at the time so it don't get old. It tastes good and you can use it in baking muffins etc. I grind it fairly fine for my cereal you can leave it a little course for baking but make sure you crack all the seeds or it will go right through you. I follow eating for my blood type and have gotten along great now for 10 months. My wife also grinds flax and puts it in her applesauce. There are a lot of ways to use it. It is loaded with oil and also fiber. Good luck to you and all. Some day I'll write my whole story here. I started having the problem Oct. 2006. God Bless! ML
mlsohm
Salt Bather

Postby Fissulyna » 19 Jan 2008, 02:15

God Bless you to dear Mlsohm : )) !!! Thank you so much for the tip. I always read that Flax seed should be used just the way you described but always wondered how to "grind it" ! Now I know : ) !
I will go tomorrow to find little grinder ; ) !!! Do seeds have to be stored in the freezer in the store too, or you just keep yours that way too keep them fresh ? I read many times that flax goes rancid very easy and that oil, for example, should always be in the fridge and bought fresh expelled , otherwise it looses potency. It is interesting that you mentioned your special diet - I just bought a book with similar theme - Eat for your Genotype ; ). It looked intriguing so I tossed it in my basket : )) !
Hope you are doing well and that your problem is under good control and that you are not in much pain : ( !!!!
Thanks gain and write your story soon !!!
All the best : )
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby mlsohm » 19 Jan 2008, 09:09

Fissulyna, I keep it in freezer just to keep it fresh and out of the way. After you grind it then it will get rancid if not used soon. Correct on the oil. I use it also but like the seeds because of the fiber. There are dark or light seeds, I buy the light seeds because I read that they have more oil. They also cost more. I live 55 miles from a store that sells flax seed in bulk so that is why I buy 20 lbs. and freeze it. No pain here any more, but I have to watch my diet real close or I'm in trouble. Correction in my last post it's only been 6 months that things have been going well. I had a couple of set backs last summer when I eat the wrong stuff or ate too much. Take care. Hope you continue to improve. More later. ML
mlsohm
Salt Bather

Postby Fissulyna » 19 Jan 2008, 18:19

Thanks a bunch Image for additional information :D !!! I will buy light variety today !
Glad to hear you are doing well Image , just stay on your diet and you will be safe Image !!!
All the best always :arwen:
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby happyass » 19 Jan 2008, 18:51

fissy, i used my Braun multi-hand mixer to grind the flax seeds. they come out beautifully powdery and just flaky to put them over any foods you want.
i love to get my fats from butter! hehehehehehe....
but also from olive oil with a few pinches of sea salt, black pepper, basil, oregano, and rosemary and if it's a very special treat, i add some powdered parmesan cheese, and use this mixture to dabble some hot crusted french bread or multi-grain wheat baguette.
i get fats also from foods themselves.
especially with sushi, avocado in it. and i am sure there is fat somehow in seaweed salad.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Fissulyna » 19 Jan 2008, 21:29

Oh myyyyyy- I am salivating now !!!!!!!!! Olive oil - the oil of gods long forgotten. I love anything olive - oil, bread, fresh, pickled, dried !!!! I fry and bake 99% of my food on olive oil !!! Well ... sorry .. now I have to go and eat some... ; )
Thanks for the info about Braun mixer !!!
Chiao bello ; )
Fissulyna
VIP