Fear vs Pain

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Fear vs Pain

Postby Guest » 02 Aug 2007, 14:42

I've had limited sharp pain for the last 2 weeks (an occasional pain that makes me react like getting goosed!). I'm good in the AM until my BM (not real regular - anywhere from 9AM to 1PM). Afterwards I don't really have pain (I don't sit afterwards, work on my back on the couch) but have soreness/discomfort for the rest of the day. The soreness seems generalized unlike the sharp pain from the fissure.
I've cancelled one business trip and am on the verge of cancelling the second out of fear that the severe pain that I had earlier will come back and I'll be stuck 2000 miles from home.
I'm worried about travel and reinjury so I'm very inactive (other than taking care of my diet and baths). I see the doctor next week and I think my soreness is what remains of my AF and a skin tag.
Any ideas at what point I "test" this, I'm reluctant to do anything that will cause a setback. At what point do you overcome the fear of the "mind numbing" fetal position pain, to back into the swing of things?

Re: Fear vs Pain

Postby Guest » 02 Aug 2007, 15:00

That is a good question. I guess if you can postpone the trip without any major repurcussions it is something to consider. But if you feel like you just need to test it and get out and feel "normal" again I would try it with 4 (200 mg) advil under your belt. When I have had to get out due to work or other reponsibilities I would take an Ultram ER which lasts for a day. It is prescription only but it is not a narcotic so it is usually easier to get for pain and less likely to cause GI problems.
I don't know what to advise but I understand your concern.

Postby buttgirl » 02 Aug 2007, 15:41

How to test--that is a good question. I'm still too afraid to test and prefer to "manage."

On my business trips, I did no unnecessasry testing. For the one in June, I took my sitzbath. Yes half my suitcase was taken up, but it was worth it. I also made sure to take a mild laxative every night to ensure regularity and soft bm. This past week, I left my sitzbath home, but I did make sure to take a mild laxative every night again. I find 1 1/2-2 TBSP of Milk of Magnesia to do the trick and keep my bm soft no matter what. I use the 2 T if I have a luncheon I just can't avoid where there is a lot of white bread, red meat, and other things I have learned to steer away from.

Perhaps this would help you too. I probably didn't need it this past week, but if nothing else, it gave me a little piece of mind--the illusion that I have some control over my bms and needn't fear them any more than usual. It was also helpful because I knew I'd go first thing every morning, and that I'd know from then whether the rest of my day would be manageable.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

What laxitive?

Postby Guest » 03 Aug 2007, 08:51

What did you use a gental laxative? I'm also sitting at my desk today to see what kind of problems I encounter and see how long I last. Thanks!

Postby buttgirl » 03 Aug 2007, 09:35

Milk of Magnesia is what I used. It is an osmotic laxative, like docutase sodium, and it works by drawing water into the bowel. If you overdo it, you'll get the runs, so you have to work out what is the right dose for you. 1 1/2 - 2 TBSP is what works for me. Anything more and my poo turns to liquid instead of a comfortable paste.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 03 Aug 2007, 13:29

what about Miralax is it as effective as Milk of Magnesia?????????

Postby Guest » 03 Aug 2007, 13:30

what about Miralax is it as effective as Milk of Magnesia?????????

Postby Deleted User 5 » 03 Aug 2007, 13:33

I bet that's a hard call to make. I know MOM can be very effective at softening stools....
Deleted User 5

Postby edward_adams » 03 Aug 2007, 13:37

I've really found alot of relief with SD.
I haven't seen Miralax in Canada, so I don't even have that option.
edward_adams
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Guest » 03 Aug 2007, 13:40

They work similarly in drawing more water into the stool. I like miralax in that it is tasteless and dissolves in whatever liquid you want. Makes it also great for pranks! Image Image