FIA- fissures in anus

Worst pain I experienced

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

FIA- fissures in anus

Postby Polly han » 30 Aug 2018, 18:23

Hi all,
I am very glad I’ve finally found a website which makes me feel I am not suffering excruciating pain alone.

I was on anti-depressants more than 4 years. That resulted in chronic constipation, followed by hemorrhoid, and eventually multiple fissures. My hemorrhoid alone doesn’t bother me at all. However when it comes to fissures, it gets worse and worse with profuse bleeding in every BM. I am afraid to go to washroom. The pain doesn’t go away even after a few hours of BM. I tried Proctodan, prescribed by family doctor, and not a bit relief. Instead, I got rashes, irritations, and yeast infections multiple times. I waited for 6 months to get appointment with a surgeon. By the time I saw surgeon, I was in a chronic condition. Surgery was the only option. The wait for surgery is 3 to 6 months. I was devastated to wait that long because I can’t suffer any more. So I put my name in the cancellation list. I took non-narcotic pain killers and they did not work at all. I don’t want to take narcotic pain killers. I am scared of it’s side effect of constipation. The surgeon gave me lidocaine with diltiazam, and it didn’t work until a week.

Let me talk about the pain. At the beginning it is painful during BM. It persists a few hours after, then the pain comes with episodes. Each episode lasts for 3 to 4 hr. I have at least 2 episodes per Day. I can’t sleep well at night during them. The first hour, a tearing pain is followed by a burning sensation. I feel like burning stick inside my anus. Then, feel like all my internal anal muscles spasm, squeezing and aching pain. I thought I would never get better. I was desperatey looking for help. I went to walk in clinic for some help. The doctor gave me an acute pain treatment (Naproxen 375+ ibuprofen 1000). I took it this morning before I had an episode. Fortunately, the pain wasn’t that bad like before. Maybe the medication works or maybe it’s the effects of diltiazam after one week. Either way, I am greatful. I only have a week off from work. I have to go back soon. I don’t know how if I still have episodes. I pray for not having that pain again, but I don’t know yet. I am writing this forum as today I don’t have any severe pain episode so far. I think I see a flash of light in the tunnel but still looking ahead where is it!
Polly han

Topics: 1

Re: FIA- fissures in anus

Postby bluey » 31 Aug 2018, 12:59

Oh, your poor thing. How are you now?

All the pain you describe sounds so familiar! And the fear of having to go back to work :-(

This is my second time with an anal fissure - this time it's two ulcers. The pain is very similar to what your describing. Weirdly, today I discovered that cycling helps with the pain!!! I would never have guessed that. It still hurts, but as I'm cycling it kind of lessens the pain. Seems like the last thing in the world that would feel OK. I can barely walk five steps without my bum absolutely killing me, but it seems cycling has the opposite effect. (so far, anyway!)

Good luck and I hope the light at the end of the tunnel was real for you.
bluey