Finally diagnosed with AF

New member seeking advice (Kinda long, sorry)

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Finally diagnosed with AF

Postby Jayton » 08 Jun 2016, 18:28

Hi! First I want to thank those who made this site. It is comforting to see that people are experiencing similar symptoms and its not just me. I feel like I am annoying my family members by talking about it, but what they do not realize is that on a "Bad Stool Day" it is all I can think about.

On to a description of my problem: I am a 21 year old college student. I noticed some blood in my stool about a year ago. Just blood, no pain. I was eating pretty bad (Oreos and chips for dinner) and it often resulted in constipation. I was too embarrassed to tell anyone about it, so I ignored it. Around December the blood began appearing more consistently and it was accompanied by pain. I finally saw a doctor who said I had an hemorrhoid. She said to change my diet, take stool softeners and everything would be fine. It was for 2 weeks and then the pain/blood got progressively worse. I had to lay down after each bowel movement since walking and sitting hurt so much.

Bleeding everyday scared me into seeing the school doctor who said he didn't see a hemorrhoid. He said it was colitis and gave me anti-inflammatory steroids which did nothing to help. Once I got home I saw two doctors who both assured me it was an anal fissure. I was given Diltiazem, Lidocaine, and Metamucil. It has been about two weeks but nothing has improved.

I understand that this is a mental battle just as much as it is a physical one. Sometimes I want to hold in a bowel movement just so I do not have to feel the pain. I'm immediately stressed/angry when I feel a movement coming on a day of a job interview or before hanging out with friends. Even now my friend wants to go to sports bar for the Warriors game and I have to come up with an excuse for why I can't go.

So I just need some advice on how to deal with this mentally? What are ways you calm your stress and start thinking positively? Also what are some diet changes I can make to soften my bowels/pass them more easily? Is a strict diet necessary for healing? Lastly, how do I deal with the painful post bowel movement spasms? Sometimes they last for about 6 hours and prevent me from completing daily activities. Thank you all who can help!
Jayton

Topics: 2

Re: Finally diagnosed with AF

Postby Canadabum » 08 Jun 2016, 21:28

Jayton - welcome to the forum!

Some advice on dealing with AF:

1. Drink 8 glasses of water/herbal tea a day

2. Eat 25grams (approx) of fibre a day...make sure a good amount is soluble

3. Stop eating all the processed junk food that can clog you up and make you constipated

4. Use your fissure cream 3x a day and after each bowel movement. Just spread around the anus.

5. Take a sitz bath after each bm and perhaps twice a day - warm. This will keep the area clean and will help stimulate blood flow to the area.

6. Don't wipe...dab with moist toilet paper or baby wipes

7. Take some ibuprofen if you can time it just before your bm...or just after to help deal with the pain and spasm. Sitz bath may also help post bm spasm.

8. You may want to avoid Metamucil for now...it bulks up the stool and will make the stool press against the fissure aggravating it.

9. Use a stool softener like Miralax. This is very helpful for many.

10. Try and stay active if you can by walking or swimming.

11. Don't sit for too much at a time. When you do, sit on a heating pad.

12. Talk about it as much as you can with family, friends, strangers and us on this forum.

Know that in time you will get better... This takes time, perseverance, patience, luck and some strategies to help you along.

All best - Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby Healingthroughdiet » 08 Jun 2016, 21:48

Well, Jayton I am a newbie to this site but not new to fissures sadly. I am 40 years old now but my first one was at age 9 or 10 and the next one at 18 or 19. I remember how ashamed I used to be to even bring it up with anyone not even my parents. But I found that talking about it helped. Very few laughed at me ( yeah there were those) . Its been 10 years since my last fissure and it still feels weird to talk about it. But every time I have had to struggle with one - discussing it with those around me who saw me day to day ,helped me most with the social aspect of it. If i act moody, I am forgiven more easily, I wrote a little on the coping with work subject . so number one - tell those who matter has been my motto.

Diet changes may work and I certainly hope they do for you but if they don't there are other things that can help. I have had 2 surgeries and most recently am recovering from botox and am in the acute phase myself.

It takes a lot but I second the patience, perseverance and positivity motto. I have been cured 2 times. each time I relapsed was for a reason - difficult labor 14 years ago, more recently stress.dehydration. So I know life can be normal inbetween for decades.

But I also understand your pain. Believe me when I say that. You can read on my diary. However I - like you - have to believe that one day this will end.

the soluble and insoluble fiber part is important during this acute phase which I am also learning - another thing about this disease is to constantly learn what is right for your body and keep making little "tweaks". discipline and adapting to this new phase are also important.

Overall please know that someday this will end - but it cannot happen in a hurry and try to take comfort in that I am alive ( and mostly well though in pain) some 30 years after my first fissure. Keep smiling, it is the beginning of a new disciplined you. come to this forum for friends as though its good to talk about it to others, they do wonder why every BM is suuuch a topic of conversation. But we know why.

It will be ok.
Healingthroughdiet
VIP

Postby Jayton » 09 Jun 2016, 16:14

Thank you Canadabum and Healingthroughdiet for the advice.

I bought lots of veggies, fruits, Miralax and high fiber cereal today. I also got Coconut Oil since most people here say that works. I'm ready for this journey of healing. I'll keep you all updated and will continue browsing this forum.

Thanks again!
Jayton

Postby Healingthroughdiet » 09 Jun 2016, 17:23

That's the spirit. Yes we have to stay prepared with all the right stuff. I found some good info on soluble and insoluble . It's a start but so much more info is available online I also shoppe today and bought Brussels sprouts . Take care and we are a team here http://www.nationalfibercouncil.org/pdf ... 4.6.07.pdf
Healingthroughdiet
VIP