First Time on This Forum

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

First Time on This Forum

Postby tommyohio » 29 Jan 2013, 19:52

I'm very glad this forum exists. It's good to know I'm not alone, or should I say we are not alone. I am a 51 year old male and have always been in great health. I am an active weight lifter and bike rider. In November I began to have pain in my groin and my general doctor diagnosed prostatitis. Anti inflamms and anti biotics relieved it but after about 2 weeks I began to have hemorrhoid like pain. The cream didn't help and now I have pain about an hour after every bowel movement. It feels as if I have eaten a very spicy meal. I went to a colorectal surgeon but he was more focused on the irritation that I had caused by using various creams and tucks for the past month. He advised that I clear that up and then come back! Needless to say I have scheduled a different doctor that I will see this Friday. The only relief is a sitz bath immediately after each bm but that is very impractical at work! Any advice would be appreciated. I am very depressed and concerned about all of this - somedays I just want to check myself into an emergency room and get everything tested because I can't wait the 3 weeks to see the doctor. Thanks again!
tommyohio

Topics: 1

Re: First Time on This Forum

Postby Savaici » 30 Jan 2013, 20:18

Hi Tommyohio, and welcome to the forum! We are here to help as we all know exactly where you are 'coming from' as we have all been there/are there at some time or another.
It's good that you are seeing a doctor on Friday, and as you said on another post that you had already seen one CRS, presumably this will be another. They are really the best for AFs.
The pain that you get after a BM are more than likely your anal sphincter going into spasm. Very common for most of us, and incredibly painful at times.
There is a lot of information on here, so will not go through it all but rather concentrate on just a few points.
Only use water on your rear end after a BM. I never rub, using first damp Cottonelle TP to dab, then wet Johnson & Johnson gauze pads to make sure all is clean, but ONLY dabbing, never wiping. The only thing I use and not every time, is petroleum jelly, and only on the outside.
I use my Sitz bath every day, and sad that itis inconvenient for you, but work situations and the problems associated with that I can understand.
I hope the doctor you are seeing Friday is more thorough and understanding. You will not be the first to change doctors more than once...
It's quite normal to get down with this; constant pain takes it out of you, but there are ways to tackle this demon, you just have to find those ways first.
Good luck with your appointment. Let us know how it goes!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Re: First Time on This Forum

Postby Port » 30 Jan 2013, 22:09

Hi Tommy, I'm about a decade older than you and have always enjoyed lifting weights. Gave up on the bike riding because of hemorrhoids and fissures that act up yearly. Any heavy weights I lift now, I lift laying down, just easier on every part of my body at this point. Also I walk 20 minutes a day in place of the bike riding. There's a ton of information here. I went thru and copied info that I thought applied to my own situation and pasted it in Notepad...just for convenience. Thank God for the person who made this site, it's a real help. Maybe you could sneak a heating pad into work, if anyone asks tell them it's for back trouble...that's what I tell the curious. Good luck, hope the Doctors come up with some answers for you.
Port
Salt Bather

Topics: 2