Fish oil against depression

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Fish oil against depression

Postby rio » 29 Nov 2013, 14:44

I must admit I was fighting depression before I got fissure, but when I got infection and received those horrible antibiotics that killed my gut and when I did not know that horrible pain in the lower abdomen comes from fissure, I was extremely low. I developed enormous fear from taking any medications and was deeply depressed. I searched for some literature to help me act against depression and read a book Healing Without Freud or Prozac by Dr.David Servan Schreiber .
It is a wonderful book, the author was not only educated in medicine and psichiatry but obviously intelligent and good person free from prejudice and big pharma, who wanted to help people.
The book gave me hope to find some solution as I will never try anti depressants again.
So I started taking fish oil in capsules. Fish oil should be high with eikosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and low with docosahexaenoic acid (DHA.) I take Ultimate EPA 450 mg EPA 50 mg DHA 2 caps/day (sometimes i take only one) and I must say I noticed improvement. The dosage mentioned in Servan Schreiber book is 1000 mg EPA/day.
I found some positive reviews and expieriences from users which I think are not just producers advertising.
And fish oil has other benefits too, it is good against inflammation. BUt it is important to be high with EPA
Disabling burning, drilling pain in anal area for almost a year, started after UT infection. Small anal fissure diagnosed, turned out it is probably not the cause of pain, MRI shows no inflammation or fistula. Grateful to forum members for support.
rio
VIP

Topics: 12

Re: Fish oil against depression

Postby pinpin » 30 Nov 2013, 06:48

When it was worth days, and I was almost suddenly disabled with pain a lot of my energy was taken by depression, and I strong man, on managing position was even crying.. That was the time I took antidepressants to get over this.. Though, I was also taking Fish oil in parallel all this time!
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby rio » 30 Nov 2013, 16:56

Did you have any side effects with AD?
Disabling burning, drilling pain in anal area for almost a year, started after UT infection. Small anal fissure diagnosed, turned out it is probably not the cause of pain, MRI shows no inflammation or fistula. Grateful to forum members for support.
rio
VIP

Postby pinpin » 01 Dec 2013, 11:22

No, I don't at all. It just gradually starts working and after 2 weeks, you feel like you got strength to fight with terrible condition. You start to look for options and resolution, you are hopeful with any new cream/method you find on inet, you don't cry and feel better. I stopped AD in June or something, didn't have so deep depression since then. However I am still in pain and you know how fissure pain is disabling and life consuming.
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Mood: Good

Postby rio » 01 Dec 2013, 14:25

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell the name of the AD you took?
rio
VIP

Postby owmybum » 02 Dec 2013, 04:36

I also ended up taking anti anxiety tablets. As igrik says ... Within a couple of weeks I gained the strength to start thinking positively again.... And I also stopped crying! I was crying non stop at that point... I just couldn't go on like it.

My dr prescribed me citalopram. They made me feel a bit queesy for a few days, but I took them at night, before bed, and felt better for that. I am now down to a small maintenance dose.... But feel I will keep on taking it for as long as I need to.

There is a lot of stigma attached to taking anti depressants, and I can't fathom why. I just think mental health issues are just something people don't want to talk about... Along with butt issues!! Lol. If you feel like your in dispare and getting lower and lower... Talk to your doctor.... Get some advice... But don't suffer needlessly.

OMB xx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Mood: UGH !

Postby rio » 03 Dec 2013, 13:14

Hi OMB, thanks for your reply.
I have some history of neurological problems. I had a very bad time few years ago with very bad headaches, tingling sensations, tinitus etc..These simptoms eased much with gluten and dairy free diet with mostly fruits and vegs. Some neuro troubles runs in our family, I had lyme and internal jugular (neck) vein stenosis. I am sensitive to chemicals and had some unpleasant reactions to prescribed drugs (valium gave me tremor instead to calm me). So I am afraid to take medicine that messes up with neurons. I will be happy if I can take AD because I admit I am exhausted from aches, but I worked so hard to calm down tingling and other problems, that the tiniest possibility to have at least some of them back, in form of side effects, scared me.
rio
VIP