Fissure re-tear/new tear causes/factors?

Anxiety, IBS, constipation, stress, diet, childbirth

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Fissure re-tear/new tear causes/factors?

Postby Manitourose » 21 Oct 2015, 06:44

Hello guys,

Sorry admins, I accidentally originally posted this in the LIS topic.
Reaching out for support and out of curiosity. My background is that I came to this board over a year ago after being diagnosed with a simple fistula. It was repaired and about 5 months after I saw another CRS (new city) worried about a re-occurrence of the fistula and was found instead to have a deep internal fissure. It took a few months to fully heal using diltiazem 2x a day, coconut oil during the day and increasing my baths to promote healing.
I recently (last week) had a minor retear. I am using the same protocol. I honestly feel WIPED OUT physically & emotionally from a number of things. I deal with generalized anxiety disorder (still trying to find a therapist in my new city), began developing health fears in the last few years, was recently dx'd with an low-grade abnormal pap and HPV after no new partners and always had a clean bill of health --so a biopsy is scheduled next week, new internist just started me on amitriptyline after being on gabapentin on & off for years (to treat IBS & anxiety) and after a very stressful couple years and recent months taking my boards exams I ended up with a pretty rough bout of IBS and still do not feel great. I think attacks of IBS and anxiety are my key factors to re-tear. I am so tired of the anxiety, IBS and bum issues though. It really holistically is affecting my ability to get started in my new career and live peacefully.
Image So my question is:
What factors into your new or re-tear of fissures?
If you don't have any factors, a virtual hug will suffice.. ;-), but I'm sure we all have ideas of what leads to our bum issues. :thanx: :needguh:
Manitourose

Topics: 14

Re: Fissure re-tear/new tear causes/factors?

Postby Severelydepressed » 21 Oct 2015, 08:56

Hi Manitourose,

I see that you are a fellow New Yorker - so I just wanted to say hello (I am fairly new to the forum)!

I know how hard it is to live with anxiety disorder and the fissure intensifies the anxiety to a whole another level. I always had bad anxiety to begin with before my fissure started. In fact, I am pretty sure I got the fissure after an extremely stressful month, which led to constipation, which led to the fissure. So I get what you mean when you say you wish for peace. I always wonder what it would be like to just be at peace and calm on a daily basis without having to feel shaky and worried about something. It really affects your quality of life and drains every bit of you.

I feel my tear gets worse when I am overly stressed. My body just tenses up, which isn't good for the fissure. I try to relax, but this is way easier said than done. I always feel like it's getting better, but then I have a BM and my hope starts to dissipate. But what else can I do but hope for the best that it will slowly heal in time. The slow process is agonizing, but I hope the end game will be rewarding!!

As cheesy as it sounds, it helps to surround yourself with people you love to cope. And when there's no one, this forum has been a true comfort to me so far. Keep busy even when it's hard!

I wish I had better advice, but I too, am taking things one step at a time. It can be very discouraging when this happens. I just want to let you know I understand and you are not alone.
:smilyhug:
Severelydepressed
VIP

Topics: 9

Postby Manitourose » 21 Oct 2015, 12:35

Thanks severelydepressed and shout out to you in NY :) Your response is so meaningful to know I don't battle those daily worries that are irrationally intensified along with bum issues alone. Everyone here on this forum has been so vital though my ups and downs, I am so grateful. Thanks again. I wish us and all who deal with this (bum issues) or anxiety (or various issues) peace and relaxation. WE DESERVE IT!
Manitourose

Postby Manitourose » 01 Nov 2015, 09:14

Another severely stressed week. And bleeding again this morning due to hard stools despite a good diet (minus that I haven't been able to eat much due to anxiety). I get so burned out and frustrated by this. Crying this morning knowing so many people taking the "bathroom" for granted. Clearly stress is my link and I'm lost on how to get started to get my life together in this city, a place I makes me so uncomfortable.

How does one deal with stress or living with these issues when you can't fully change some of the factors? Such as my living environment.
Manitourose

Postby chachacha » 01 Nov 2015, 09:25

Maybe you should see your GP about getting a prescription for an anti-anxiety medication? I am one who does everything possible to avoid taking drugs (and having surgery), but sometimes you just have to. If your anxiety is preventing you from being able to heal your fissure, maybe you can just take some pills for a few months and then get off them again once your butt issue is resolved.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Manitourose » 01 Nov 2015, 09:53

Chachacha -- I am on medication and have tried many over the years. Decisions made by a great and trusting psychiatrist and managed by a GP. There is no concern for me needing surgery. I am fortunate the fissures never cause me pain for the most part.
Most meds increased my anxiety severely. What I am on currently is the only meds that somewhat lessened it. I need a good therapist, but am utterly lost after seeing 3 crappy ones I paid a lot for (CBT specific) in my new city.

Anyways I think I am just venting. It's a very rough week and day. I really appreciate such a quick response.
Manitourose

Postby chachacha » 01 Nov 2015, 10:14

I didn't mean that I thought that you needed surgery, just wanted to emphasize the fact that I don't take medications or surgery lightly, so that if you were also someone who avoided those things, you might reconsider your stance. If you have already tried to treat the anxiety already though, I don't know what else to suggest.

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having such a bad time though, and will wish you strength and healing. And it's always good to vent, especially here, where we all have had (or are still having) backside issues.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby msimon » 02 Nov 2015, 03:41

Do you take anything to keep your BMs soft? I have IBS too and stress definitely affects it but I also take magnesium, stool softener and even a little Metamucil to keep things in line down there. These things seem to make me less affected by the stress. Just a thought...
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Manitourose » 02 Nov 2015, 08:31

I may try a new combination. I do take Ducolax/Colace if I end up having hard or difficult strained BMs. Usually they are soft and switch between occasionally. My IBS definitely more crampy. I have been reading up on Dr. Mark Hyman and Mullins who are gastroenterologists (don't worry I have a relationship with my regular doctor has well and inform him) but about magnesium being good. There are apparently different types of magnesium and the one I was taking doesn't absorb well. So it neither had a benefit for my IBS or anxiety.
Started Culterelle yesterday on advice of my doctor. Definitely will try for more water the next few days. My fiber intake and diet are very good. But I think a bit of this and that pieced together, a new approach may help out. If anything it may refocus my mind off stress. :-)
Manitourose

Postby Severelydepressed » 02 Nov 2015, 08:32

Oh Manitourose :( I'm sorry love that you are having a rough week. I second msimon, do you take anything to keep your BMs soft? I started taking Miralax a few days ago and it has been a game changer in keeping my stools soft!! People on this forum talk about it a lot, and I really do think it helps! You should really try it if you haven't already. I take only about 1/2 dose daily but it's been great. I, too, was bleeding with hard BMs so I know how terrifying and discouraging that is each time.

Getting started in a new city always brings upon a lot of stress. I'm sorry that this has been so hard for you. As you know, I also suffer from anxiety and am constantly stressed. I haven't found a perfect solution but cope through exercise and by keeping myself busy. Try drinking some chamomile tea as well, as it works as a natural remedy for anxiety. I also really like peppermint tea as it relaxes me and it is also good for digestive purposes.

:cheers: Keep your head up and hang in there <3
Severelydepressed
VIP

Topics: 9