Fissures are Forever

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Fissures are Forever

Postby Guest » 01 Oct 2007, 07:06

I've had this problem since April 20th of this year. Today is October 1st. I have had good days and very bad days, and a lot of general "discomfort" in between. I've gone to 3 doctors, done all the diets, supplements, topical creams, nifedipine, etc etc. I have not done the surgery but cannot believe they have to cut something that's already damaged to make it better. My feeling at this point is that I will have this forever. DOes anyone else feel this way?

Re: Fissures are Forever

Postby Guest » 01 Oct 2007, 07:48

Hi Mike,
Yeah, I think we do all feel that way at times, but there are quite a few of us who have gotten over it. It can take a year for a fissure to heal which seems like so long when it interfers with your life so much that it is controlling you.
I have chronic problems that have caused discomfort for almost 5 years now and there are days I wonder if I will ever get through a day without thinking about my butt. It can be very consuming. But I did heal twice from fissures.
Taking lots of baths and using the diltiazem cream 3-4 times a day eventually got me out of it. There are some here who are finding botox to be very helpful in healing.
We understand your struggle. Just look at how many people have registered here and that will show you that you are not alone in feeling desperate at times.
Welcome to the boards and please look around and see if there is any information that may help you.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 01 Oct 2007, 10:27

Actually, Mike, if you get the LIS, they will be cutting the sphincter muscle, not the fissure itself, which is usually just left alone. Once the sphincter is cut, it relaxes and allows blood to resume it's healing on the fissure.
It sure worked for me!!
Deleted User 5

Postby SunshineHope » 01 Oct 2007, 11:13

I feel like that too :-) I'm just trying to avoid surgery, even though it's been 10 months. I think I Haven't healed because whenever things start to look or feel good, I falter a bit on my diet and good habits. If I just kept up with everything (whichI am SO DAMN determined to do NOW) - I think I could heal. I just need to remind myself that......
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby juney » 01 Oct 2007, 11:36

i understand your worries mike, believe me! i just had my 2nd LIS surgery and i'm just praying this one does the trick. i've been struggling with a fissure since July 2006 and have tried everything. the first surgery in may didn't completely heal it, although it made the pain somewhat better.
kim is right, they don't actually do anything to the fissure, they just cut the sphincter to alleviate the pressure so the fissure can heal better on it's own. sometimes, when you've had it as long as most of us have, that's the only hope in healing it.
hang in there, it has to get better!! just keep up your routine, and maybe find a surgeon you can talk to about the surgery. the actual procedure really isn't that bad...it's mainly the waiting for healing afterwards that is nerve-wracking for me.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 01 Oct 2007, 12:30

[. If I just kept up with everything (whichI am SO DAMN determined to do NOW) - I think I could heal.
Oh my goodness, Sunshine Hope said a curse word!!!! Image Image

Postby Guest » 01 Oct 2007, 20:34

I can relate. I got my fissure on the Easter weekend too and it has ruled my life ever since. I have to see my crs again weds to see why I still have bleeding/pain/difficulty having a BM despite an uber-high fiber diet.
I would advise you to look into getting the surgery. The risk of complications is small and is something you have to weigh against the pain/misery you are experiencing now.
Good luck!

Postby SunshineHope » 01 Oct 2007, 22:34

hahaha Lecia. Sorry! it was on the whim :p
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 5 » 02 Oct 2007, 06:46

Yeah, you'd expect flowery language from her, wouldn't you!!! :o :o :o :o
Deleted User 5

Postby SunshineHope » 02 Oct 2007, 20:54

hahaha.. FLOWERY? WHAT? i'm not flowery , i hate girly things... well, most girly things. :)
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist