Fistula Surgery

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: Fistula Surgery

Postby Ever the Optimist » 22 Jul 2012, 03:36

Hi PJ,
This has not happened to me personally but I have read other posts where others have resulted in a fissure as a result of post surgery and the incision made during the procedure. It does happen. Hopefully, someone else can offer you further advice on their experience in this.....
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby PJ » 22 Jul 2012, 20:33

When I had my fistula surgery, the surgeon packed me and then said he'd remove the packing on the the third day, however during the exam, second day, he pulled all the packing out. He thought it was funny, said most people are very scared at the out come and this way he did it without us being up tight. Worked! However, now years later, I still am having problems and if one month of the FodMap diet doesn't help - I have to have surgery for the third time
PJ
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby strugglingartist » 31 Aug 2012, 17:21

hello all I am a 24 year old male. I had my fistulotomy july 27 It has been nothing but hell. the doc said a week for full healling. that was a blatant lie, what i think he me was that i will be out of excruciating pain in roughly a week. two later from that date and i was the check up and he said i was well on my way. now it is more then a month past. I have made some improvement the incision has mostly healed toward the back but toward the rectum is still a deep hole I am getting concerned at this point that it not healing correctly and now i am moving. It still leaking white puss and still hurts during bms. help any advice would be great.
strugglingartist

Postby AFalumni » 09 Sep 2012, 07:27

Struggling artist,
Well, I am about one month further into this than you are. I had my fistulotomy on June 29th. Just to let you know, I still have a visible open-looking hole where the fistula was laid open. I also have a small amount of the yellowish discharge when I wipe with moist wipes. Finally, there is still a trace amount of blood, especially after a BM.
The good news is I am basically pain free. It's still irritated after a BM (itchy and a tad sore) but it doesn't last long. I'm still being careful with my diet and water, but no longer extreme. I also still take 2 tsps. Of Miralax each night, but probably will for life.
So, I'm 9 weeks post op and still dealing with it. At my last CRS visit, he said I am healing and he won't need to see me ever again!
Hope this helps...we've just got to be patient.
AFalumni
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby sood » 01 Oct 2012, 03:25

hi all just got fistulectomy done day before yesterday on right side and surgery on left side of an abscess which was drained few years ago. Was having the problem for quite some time now. Though after i got the abscess drained few year ago, changed by eating habits and bm habits. Stools were soft but still the fistula developed.
Got to doctor on Saturday 29th sept., got few tests done, answered all the questions. I was given a regional anesthesia, so didnt feel pain during surgery or even after around 5-6 hours after surgery. when the effect of anesthesia started going down, the pain was immense. was given a pain killer through iv. but to no effect!. The pain was increasing and they wouldnt give another injection before waiting for some hours!. Was not able to urinate initially, but got over it. After another injection the pain started taking back stage and sleep started taking over.
Got up in the morning, the packing was removed, it was painful. Did a sitz bath there with betadiene in the water. Was discharged from the hospital. Since then, better than the night after the surgery. Lying in the bed since then. Feel like i am going to have bm, but not really. taking antibiotics, painkillers and some other drugs and stool softener.
My query is about bm, i am quite worried about it though its only around 48 hours after surgery. Feel like i am having some discharges along with release of gas. dont know if its normal. I am avoiding solid foods for the fear of painful bm. instead only having soups and juices.
I hope it doesnt take long to heal, tired of sitting on bed whole day. Cant play with my kid :(
sood

Say yes to surgery!

Postby Diamond » 18 Oct 2012, 08:58

I had a recurring abcess for years, didn't know what it was.. as it was closer to my vulva, a gyne recommended removing it. So I had the abcess excised - but it never did heal. The gyne said it's probably a fistula. I've been dealing with it for almost 3 years now thanks to the long wait times in Canada and having my run-ins with some idiot surgeons that left me hanging. In addition to this, last year I ended up with what looked like a pilonidal cyst. Turns out my once simple superficial fistula had branched out into an additional tract.
Having gone through this I recommend going for surgery right at the beginning! I finally had EUA surgery yesterday - came out of it with 2 fistulotomies (one partial) and a seton in the "newer" tract. Oh how I wish this would have been dealt with before the second tract formed!
I am not having any major pain yet. I'm just sore overall and feeling the after effects of the anesthetic. A nurse is supposed to come by today to change my packing - I plan to take painkillers prior to that as I hear it can be painful. I'm hoping she'll have some advice on showering and using the toilet with all this packing! Does anyone out there have some advice?
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby richibeno » 18 Oct 2012, 12:20

hi diamond,hope you are feeling ok
so whats the plan now for the second tract
,is the seton going through the sphincter
will they lay it open at a later date
i had an abscess ,which burst ,and i had an op to clean it out and drain it ,the surgen put in a seton to help it drain,going to have an op in a dec to finish it off
i normaly use moist wet wips ,in warm water to do the initial clean then i jump in the tub,then use the hand held shower to clean off the rest after a bm ,dry it best i can then use a hair dryer on cool setting ,the gauze ,
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Diamond » 18 Oct 2012, 13:46

thanks richibeno! so far i'm okay... thought it should be a lot more painful? maybe the pain will just hit me with a vengeance in a few days :)
i don't know what the plan for the second tract is actually - i have a follow up appt with my surgeon in 3 weeks.. i expect she will let me know then.. i haven't even looked back there, i still have the original packing in .. the nurse is supposed to come by some time this evening, i was told i should take a sitz bath and shower with the packing in as this helps loosen it for the change.. i really don't know what to expect..will post on here after my nurse's visit.
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Diamond » 18 Oct 2012, 18:03

so as it turns out the hospital didn't pack all the necessary supplies! so the nurse just took the old packing out and just left gauze covering the "holes" for now. i'll have the packing replaced tomorrow.. it kind of feels good to let it all "breathe" actually! i'm still terrified of my first bm (i keep putting it off) .. i was told to either use baby wipes after it, or just use my hand held shower to throughly rinse the area..
turns out my openings are very very deep.. but i have faith that they will heal! the nurse said she thought it may take 3-4 weeks (i think she's being optimistic). it turns out that the seton is somewhere between the two openings.. i'll need to talk to my surgeon about exactly what was done and what the next steps are. i was very clear about being terrified about incontinence so i'm assuming the seton is in there as the surgeon was being super careful.
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Diamond » 22 Oct 2012, 13:37

soo.. just an update on my healing. i managed to get myself badly constipated over the weekend. i've been taking percocet, and even though i was taking less than the recommended dose, drinking lots of water and taking stool softeners - i got constipated. i can honestly say it was the worst thing i've even been through... and it caused some bleeding in one of my openings.. i'm okay now, but laying off the percocet. the packing changes have been hell though so i'm considering slowly introducing it back in. i do have a high threshold for pain, but i was literally in tears today.
does anyone have any recommendations for pain killers?
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?