Fistulectomy post-op-day 8

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Fistulectomy post-op-day 8

Postby afugh!! » 11 Nov 2010, 14:35

Lol sorry I had to google what incision was.It was never a part of my vocabulary.By incision ya I have a nice slice on the side of the abcess.I'm pretty sure they gave me local because for a day and a half my butt was totally numb even up to my groin area.I wished they gave me more that would last up to 3 days so I wouldn't feel the splitting sting.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 11 Nov 2010, 14:42

Bwahaha ok that explains it. I was beginning to wonder how the heck things worked with the surgery :) Yeah I think it's common with some types of surgery to get a local nerve block that lasts for a while after the procedure is over. I'm supposed to get a "penile block" (insert laughter here) for my upcoming circumcision lol. The surgeon was like "this will make it so you don't feel anything for 8-12 hours after" which left me wondering why he can't just give me some for a couple days lol. I didn't get any such block for my abscess procedure so I'm guessing I got the grade school abscess drainage and you got the doctorate program version.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby afugh!! » 11 Nov 2010, 14:46

Ya I liked having my butt really numb.Especially with the post-op discharge it made me not give a damn about it as much because I couldn't feel it.Once it wore off the discharge got on my nerves.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Pieces of advice please =)

Postby Rei » 16 Dec 2010, 20:31

Hello guys I'm new here. I've just had my hemorrhoidectomy and fistulectomy 6 days ago and everything is turning out well. The thing is I find it hard cleaning it. I'm using diapers and when I remove them there are tiny drops of mucus w/c my doctor said it's normal. I just wan't to know how you handled yours. Do you use napkins or diapers? or you dress it before wearing diapers? Do you put betadine on it?
Rei
Fibre Addict

Postby happyass » 16 Dec 2010, 21:10

hi rei,
i won't be able to answer your question about what to do with the cleaning & what to wear but i will be just as interested to find out.
i am happy that you are doing well 6 days out. congratulations. where are you from?
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Rei » 16 Dec 2010, 21:29

Hello happyass! Thanks for the nice message.
I'm from the Philippines. It's pretty humid here I hope this won't interfere on my recovery...
Rei
Fibre Addict

Postby afugh!! » 18 Dec 2010, 04:47

It's normal to have a mucuos/gunk drainage from where the fistula was.It's gonna keep draining til it fully heals.You can use cotton balls dipped in warm water to clean the wound.After using cotton your going to find it to be a useful tool after fistula surgery.I'm filipino also and I know how humid it can get over there in the Philippines,my doctor told me to keep the area dry and not to get too sweaty and have it rub skin on skin or the wound can get a fungus infection.That may be a tough order for me if I lived in the P.I.but you're acclimated to the weather.Use a fan and aim it at your butt when your lying around at home :)
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Rei » 18 Dec 2010, 06:14

^
Hello afugh thanks for those tips. However I have to disagree about the fan thing can cause infection if the wound is overly exposed from oxygen. I do hot sitz bath 3 times a day with 5 droplets of betadine and I also wash that area 3 times a day with natural antibacterial soap and dub it with betadine 3 times a day. So far so good! I'm happy I've had less problems and I feel no pain at all :)
I've had my surgery at St. Lukes Medical Center w/c is one of the world's best hospitals. I mainly eat fruits and veggies now, I eat 1 apple and those small oranges called "kiat-kiat" which are helpful for fast wound healing and I'm planning to stay a good diet. I will not eat too much meat anymore and those dirty food stalls that might have been the cause of this.
Here is a video about fistula in ano. Apparently the documentation is made by Filipinos too. Have a nice day!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOKiywCysAo
Last edited by Rei on 18 Dec 2010, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.
Rei
Fibre Addict

Postby afugh!! » 18 Dec 2010, 07:18

Fair enough with the fan,it's cold where I live at right now so I don't really even sweat.I'm 7 weeks post-op and I feel pretty good myself,I'd say I'm about 85-90% healed.Still have a little bit of drainage but it's gotten a lot smaller.Atleast I don't have to use pantyliners anymore and a little cotton strip placed between my butt cheeks is enough to catch the drainage.You should get a shower wand.Got one before my surgery and I'm glad I did.Right after a bm I would wipe with the cotton,sitz,use the wand on medium setting to rinse thoroughly than shower.Btw thats an entertaining video :)
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Rei » 18 Dec 2010, 21:10

afugh!! wrote:Fair enough with the fan,it's cold where I live at right now so I don't really even sweat.I'm 7 weeks post-op and I feel pretty good myself,I'd say I'm about 85-90% healed.Still have a little bit of drainage but it's gotten a lot smaller.Atleast I don't have to use pantyliners anymore and a little cotton strip placed between my butt cheeks is enough to catch the drainage.You should get a shower wand.Got one before my surgery and I'm glad I did.Right after a bm I would wipe with the cotton,sitz,use the wand on medium setting to rinse thoroughly than shower.Btw thats an entertaining video :)

I see. Are you applying ointments or any topical meds on your wound? Well I'll try to buy a shower wand if I get the chance to go out. As of now I'm fine with the "tabo". I'm happy that you're okay. Today is the last day on my antibiotics. Now I really want to get rid of this diaper hahaha.
I hope we'll get fully recovered sooner. I wish the best for both of us =)
Rei
Fibre Addict

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?